+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Under The Dome

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Under The Dome

I didn't know there was a book until I joined this thread. You have been the only other person I've found that thinks that about the show vs. the book. It can be most frustrating. I've found that the book people don't seem to feel that way, so staying with the thread may or may not be worth it, to you and me. Unfortunately, I had to leave the True Blood thread....and that was OK, too. It got too annoying/frustrating for me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Uh, prhoshay, I have read the book, thus the spoiler tags so you could remain in the thread about the show. Maybe my edit cleared up the confusion.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Sorry...I have to vent so will do it in spoilers for the book people
    Click to see Spoiler:

I can't even. The characters have been re-written, the storyline has been taken apart and put back together completely unrecognizable. After the first 10 minutes, I thought...okay...suspension of belief...it's a show. Then they took one of the main characters and placed him outside the dome. The three kids don't even know each other and Barbie killed Julia's husband. Maid Julia who had taken over the paper from her father and grandfather and lived above the store with her dog. I don't know if I can do this.
    Oh boy. Hubby isn't going to like this at all. Thanks for the tags
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Ariel, I totally appreciate what you did with the spoiler tags, even though I know you didn't have to do it. (And I DID notice your edit!) I've just had what I consider the unfortunate experience of being bowled over by book people who were just about doing things their way and, if you didn't like it, then too bad.

Thank you for your consideration!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I haven't read the book either so I went into the show with no clear idea of who should be who and what should be what.

I was confused initially at who was inside and who was outside. I knew "Barbie" was right there at the edge when it happened, but it wasn't clear which side of the bubble he was on. The Sheriff with the pace maker wasn't all that bright (imho) and they dealt with his dispatch rather quickly. I knew when the newspaper woman started talking about her missing husband that Barbie tied into it somehow, but I still have no clue as to why someone wanted him dead.

My daughter and I watched together - she hasn't read the book either. We got a laugh from the girl with two moms storyline and wondered if there would be a commercial for Cheerios during the show. I bet that got some tongues waggin'!

I will tune in again next week. I don't mind looking at Mike Vogel and I wanna see if I can figure out why they needed all that propane and why "the pink stars are falling in lines".
    FlyAKite likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

There's an episode 1 encore on Sunday night. I owe it to myself to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Sorry...I have to vent so will do it in spoilers for the book people
    Click to see Spoiler:

I can't even. The characters have been re-written, the storyline has been taken apart and put back together completely unrecognizable. After the first 10 minutes, I thought...okay...suspension of belief...it's a show. Then they took one of the main characters and placed him outside the dome. The three kids don't even know each other and Barbie killed Julia's husband. Maid Julia who had taken over the paper from her father and grandfather and lived above the store with her dog. I don't know if I can do this.

I didn't mind some of the changes because I have read the book and I'm okay with them wanting to make it interesting enough for those of us who have. However....
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I agree with you about Julia, Barbie and the kids. Those are the BEST characters in the book and I really didn't see a need to change them. The sheriff...don't get me started. They got him all wrong. I was pissed when he died so early in the book...lol

I'll watch but I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it. Hard to tell from the first episode. I do like the actress playing Angie (she has one of the most expressive faces on television for such a young girl), so I'm glad she's still around.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    What's with all the cow abuse lately??? Horrid effect! Hope the story moves along soon to grab our attention.
    People getting tired of the Chick-Fil-A commercials?

Personally I think they were effective enough with the truck and plane crashing into the dome.

I'm kinda surprised this doesn't apparently follow the King story, but it doesn't surprise me if they do it as a regular series instead of a miniseries. Fortunately for Stephen King, if it DID bomb he's made so much money it'd just be a blip on his record (like pin prick sized blip).

Hubby has forgotten most of the book- we really liked it . It's now on our list
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Hubby has forgotten most of the book- we really liked it . It's now on our list
    I was happy to see that the show is on xfinity OnDemand, so I got to watch it, and also enjoyed it. I'm like your husband, I forgot a lot of the story, but I don't remember being too tied to any of the characters anyway. I'm really intriqued with the Barbie mystery and the reporter's missing husband.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread