+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Under The Dome

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Under The Dome

Starting out, it looks pretty good but I find that if there is a book out, people spend a lot of time making comparisons between the book and the show, and it ruins it for me. I don't read these kinds of books, so I won't be reading it. The show and the book, generally, turn out to be 2 different things; if I'm going to watch the show, then I don't care about the book. It's exactly what happened in the True Blood thread for me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I watched it and was disappointed. The best King adaptations follow his books closely. This doesn't. It was pretty standard network TV fare and I had hoped for more, I guess. By the last 10 minutes, I was bored enough to start working on my laptop. As for the cast...I've never been to Maine (though I would love to visit it one day) but I would be quite surprised to find the rural communities stocked with such unnaturally attractive and politically-correct diverse populations. And I guess no one wants to watch 40-somethings (or older) in the lead roles. I'm not just being nitpicky -the main theme of UTD is the corruption and hypocrisy of the fundamentalist town leaders and police force. It was supposed to be more than just a bunch of people stuck inside an upside-down fishbowl.

Having said that, my husband enjoyed it (he did not read the book). So if you didn't read the book, the odds that you'll like it are a lot better, I suppose. I am just really reaching to think of anything I liked about it. It will stay on our PVR since the husband is interested, so I'll give it another episode or so before I quit.
    I only got half way through the book,where does that leave me
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Thankfully I haven't read the book, so I have nothing to be disappointed about. I find it very interesting. Can't believe they showed that poor cow sliced in half. That was pretty gory for regular TV. I hope ratings were high enough to let the network show the whole series. I hate when I get interested in something and it gets canceled mid season.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

After all those ads I'd be surprised if people didn't watch---and there were a lot of special effects in the first hour!
    How well it holds up, we'll see.

I did read the book, and in the first 5 minutes I could see there were going to be MAJOR deviations. Other than the "dome" itself I think one might as well figure it is a totally new thing, with occasional bits of overlap.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I only got half way through the book,where does that leave me

Still salvageable, I'd say!

I thought that the special effect of the cow getting sliced in half was pretty cool!
    ilja likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What's with all the cow abuse lately??? Horrid effect! Hope the story moves along soon to grab our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Still salvageable, I'd say!

I thought that the special effect of the cow getting sliced in half was pretty cool!
    I saw that part- it was very very cool. We are watching it tonight
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So I watched and was somewhat disappointed though I did keep reminding myself that things were changed to make the story last and maybe have some different backstory. I don't recall Julia being married at all. And the circumstances of Barbie's residence in the town were different. I think I may like the Junior change.

I didn't have a problem with the cow. I mean, the show did air at 10pm so it's not like it's standard family viewing hour or anything.

I'll give it a few more episodes. At the very least, Barbie is some pretty good eye candy. I'm also interested to see more of Rachael LeFevre.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Starting out, it looks pretty good but I find that if there is a book out, people spend a lot of time making comparisons between the book and the show, and it ruins it for me. I don't read these kinds of books, so I won't be reading it. The show and the book, generally, turn out to be 2 different things; if I'm going to watch the show, then I don't care about the book. It's exactly what happened in the True Blood thread for me!
    I see exactly what you mean. I was unaware there even was a book. But it's almost as if there should be 2 threads for this show. One to talk about what is on TV, and another to discuss the differences between the show and the book

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Sorry...I have to vent so will do it in spoilers for the book people
    Click to see Spoiler:

I can't even. The characters have been re-written, the storyline has been taken apart and put back together completely unrecognizable. After the first 10 minutes, I thought...okay...suspension of belief...it's a show. Then they took one of the main characters and placed him outside the dome. The three kids don't even know each other and Barbie killed Julia's husband. Maid Julia who had taken over the paper from her father and grandfather and lived above the store with her dog. I don't know if I can do this.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-25-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread