+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arielflies

Thread: The White Queen on Starz

The White Queen on Starz

Set against the backdrop of the Wars of the Roses, the series is the story of the women caught up in the long-drawn-out conflict for the throne of England. It starts in 1464—the nation has been at war for nine years fighting over who is the rightful King of England, as two sides of the same family, the House of York and the House of Lancaster, are in violent conflict over the throne. The story focuses on three women in their quest for power, as they manipulate behind the scenes of history—Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville
    After watching the first show I'm excited to see the rest. The series is based on books by Phillipa Gregory. I enjoyed all of her books. I didn't read the Cousins series this is based on. I'll watch first and read later I think.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Re: The White Queen on Starz

I'm not a huge fan of her books, but I love the War of the Roses and Elizabeth Woodville was fascinating.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My first adult book read was The War of the Roses or some similar title. It was a fascinating tale of the Yorks and Lancasters.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Is anyone keeping up on this one? I have only seen the first two episodes, but am enjoying it. Mostly, it's interesting to see the put-together of the three Gregory novels, but also as kind of a precursor to my guilty pleasure, "The Tudors." I know the historical aspect is vague but I do enjoy seeing something that puts it all together!

I'm reading first, then watching on Demand when I've finished the book. Love that period!

FORT Fanatic

I love period pieces. I have liked it so far, but I haven't read the books. Is this only a one season show or will it be a couple of seasons like the Tudors? They can't drag it out for too many seasons because the plot is moving right along.

I shouldn't think they'd need more than one season to tell the story. I think what I like most is that when reading the books, it was harder for me to remember that all three take place in the same period of time - it's just different perspectives. The show combines the three stories, so it's more...cohesive? Not sure the right word. Anyway, I am glad to learn more about what happened before Henry VIII!

+ Reply to Thread