+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How Do You Define A 'Spoiler'?

How Do You Define A 'Spoiler'?

Watching all the buzz about the ending of a Game of Thrones episode last week, and was amazed at how nobody would say what actually happened that caused all the reaction because they didnt want to spoil it for anybody! Mind you, this was 2 and three days after the event! How long were they going to keep this up, I wondered?
    So how do most people define spoiling? In my mind, if its been broadcast on tv, its out there, and the holds are now off. If someone missed seeing it and wants to wait, I would imagine that they would not go to any message boards and forums on the subject. Yet I see some do and cry foul that they ran into information they didnt want to see! Lol. I dont want to be getting heck for giving anything away, but I am so irked that while I and the majority of viewers have seen something, others dont want us talking about it!!
    Am I right, am I wrong?

Re: How Do You Define A 'Spoiler'?

I agree - once it's been broadcast it's fair game for discussion. There are many times I avoid the threads in the Non-Reality Shows forum because I PVR them and I don't want to spoil it for myself.

However, to contradict myself - one thing I do get a bit agitated with is websites who will put spoilers on their front pages. I can't avoid the whole internet but if I want to read my local paper online I would prefer a headline that doesn't contain a spoiler in the title - this usually happens the day after airing. At least some sites will put "who went home on The Voice?.." and you have to click the read the article.

I am close enough with the people I work with to shut them down if I don't want to hear something about a show I recorded - they know I take my TV seriously
    cablejockey, Imperfect1 and ilja like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, the only thing I'd suggest is to remember the time zones....Maybe give the West Coast people a chance to see it. They of course should know not to come in once the show is on on the East Coast, but sometimes that's hard to remember. Two or three days later...anyone who is upset by that is not thinking straight... IMHO of course.

I'm on the West Coast. It's not rocket science to remember time zone differences. If I don't want to be spoiled, I don't go to the likely sites. If it doesn't matter, I'm there. Or here.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I have lost all self control.

I really don't mind being spoiled any more, but try to be conscious and considerate of people who do mind. If I'm not sure if I might be spoiling for someone and have something to say, I will put it in spoiler tags.

Once an outcome is spoiled ... such as The Bachelor/Bachelorette series as well as Survivor has been repeatedly ... it is very difficult to avoid slipping if you know the outcome.

With other shows such as Downton Abbey which airs in the UK long before it airs here ... it is almost impossible to avoid it. There were reports that 2 major characters were leaving the series, so most people knew in advance.

I think the answer to the question is the individual's. Just be thoughtful.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I also agree that once a show has aired in all time zones, it's not a spoiler. If someone wants to tape & watch later & still be surprised, stay off the internet! Even watch where you go in public for fear someone may be talking about it.

When I first log on the computer, it's common on MSN's homepage to not only announce finale spoilers, but have pictures. They're unavoidable unless you just don't log on.
    I would also prefer a question, like "Who was the final Survivor?" or "Who won American Idol ..... or .....?" or "The shocking finale to ........" and you'd have to click on the link to find out. But that's not the way it is, so anyone who doesn't expect the ending of something to be announced after it's aired, should stay off the 'net.

To me a spoiler is information about a show or episodes, that hasn't been on the TV yet for public viewing.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I also agree that once a show has aired in all time zones, it's not a spoiler. If someone wants to tape & watch later & still be surprised, stay off the internet! Even watch where you go in public for fear someone may be talking about it.....
    I agree.

Good topic. I had always thought once a show had aired, it was fair game to discuss. But several months ago, when I posted about a show the morning after it aired, a couple of people made comments about my spoiling it. I thought that was kind of odd - if you don't want to find out what happened in a show - it's simple: don't read that thread.

Its almost comical--when are you supposed to talk about it? According to some, it seems like. never! If its the day after then its out there.

I also think this should apply to the scenes they show for next week. The show decided to give us a sneak peek, so I don't get why it can't be discussed? That's why they show them. So you can ponder/discuss what is going to happen in the next episode.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I also think this should apply to the scenes they show for next week. The show decided to give us a sneak peek, so I don't get why it can't be discussed? That's why they show them. So you can ponder/discuss what is going to happen in the next episode.
    I think here we are trying to avoid the near occasion of sin ... aka ... speculation ... which can easily turn into spoilers.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast