+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How Do You Define A 'Spoiler'?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: How Do You Define A 'Spoiler'?

Absolutely, if I missed a show, I will avoid any thread or site that may spoil me on it. Naturally, people are going to talk about it after it's aired or even during... that's at least half the fun!

My only exception is for movies. I won't spoil even a classic movie for anyone. I try to keep any information about a movie in a thread just for movies (that I assume people would know would contain spoilers about the movie!) Otherwise, I would never mention any major twist in a movie in any other thread. I've noticed other sites are pretty respectful regarding movies as well. They will generally let you know if a spoiler is coming. I guess the difference is people will check reviews before they watch movies, but there is no reason to check a thread on a tv show before watching it.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Absolutely, if I missed a show, I will avoid any thread or site that may spoil me on it. Naturally, people are going to talk about it after it's aired or even during... that's at least half the fun!

My only exception is for movies. I won't spoil even a classic movie for anyone. I try to keep any information about a movie in a thread just for movies (that I assume people would know would contain spoilers about the movie!) Otherwise, I would never mention any major twist in a movie in any other thread. I've noticed other sites are pretty respectful regarding movies as well. They will generally let you know if a spoiler is coming. I guess the difference is people will check reviews before they watch movies, but there is no reason to check a thread on a tv show before watching it.
    Even the official movie reviewers, in print and Radio ... do not give away the movie's ending or any special twists. If they are giving to movie a poor review, they may say something cryptic like the expected big ending isn't worth waiting for ... or something like that.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I had always thought once a show had aired, it was fair game to discuss.
    You are absolutely right. That's the whole point of this board.

Sometimes I don't get to watch shows the night they air, so I know better than to go peeking in the discussion threads or I'll be spoiled. I can't expect all of FORT's discussion to run on my schedule!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Yeah I hear ya, but I think it sucks! I am spoiler free and would love to just discuss the possibilities! They do show them to us afterall, and the board would probably be a lot more active as well. JMHO
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yes, the only thing I'd suggest is to remember the time zones....Maybe give the West Coast people a chance to see it. They of course should know not to come in once the show is on on the East Coast, but sometimes that's hard to remember. Two or three days later...anyone who is upset by that is not thinking straight... IMHO of course.
    On this site, once it has aired on the East coast, it's NOT a spoiler. We always advise posters who don't want to know, to stay out of the threads until they've watched the episode. The official rule here is that anything that has not aired is a spoiler. That includes "Hey, so and so got cast to play so and so's brother" or "I heard that actor is leaving." If you just say "This actor got cast on the show" that's different. We don't know anything but that someone is being added to the cast. It's a fine line, but we try to keep things as spoiler-free as we possibly can. Of course, this is the internet, so those who want to stay completely spoiler-free are going to have a next-to-impossible task on their hands.

Moving this thread, since this is GD and there's no TV talk here.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    You are absolutely right. That's the whole point of this board.

Sometimes I don't get to watch shows the night they air, so I know better than to go peeking in the discussion threads or I'll be spoiled. I can't expect all of FORT's discussion to run on my schedule!
    Yes and I will add scenes shown for next week at the end of the show and commercials, as well. Once it is out there, it is out there!
    mesachick likes this.

"Speculation" happens when we start looking at previews and then discussing who is the blonde on the beach with so and so.

There are plenty of forums out there that include spoilers. Some popular ones have both spoiler and spoiler-free forums for the same shows.

I think activity here may have lessened a little ... but that makes our quiet/comfort zone ... our comfort zone.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Just have to mention that a friend asked us not post anything on FB regarding a show that is three years old! She's just now getting into it, and is on season two. I think that's asking a bit much in the Spoilers department. I am considerate, and will ask if someone wants to be spoiled before sharing info. There is so much info available, you have to work hard not be spoiled. But, I can certainly keep myself away from the sites that have the spoilers if I don't want to know anything.

Brilliant topic! Thanks for starting this thread.
    I agree with the majority here...if it's been shown, it's fair game. We often have to record everything due to my husband's schedule...we like to watch certain shows with each other....so as much as I love FORT, I avoid threads if I don't want to be spoiled.
    It's called taking responsibility for yourself.
    Expecting others to protect us is not anyone's job but our own.
    waywyrd, football_chick and ilja like this.

what I hate is when someone goes OT in a thread and spoils a show I was clearly trying not to be spoiled on.
    justCoz, Imperfect1 and ilja like this.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast