+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Longmire - A&E

Re: Longmire - A&E

A&E's 'Longmire' Canceled - Hollywood Reporter

A&E's 'Longmire' Canceled
    1:42 PM PDT 8/28/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

The Western starring Katee Sackhoff will not return for a fourth run on the network

The cable network has opted to cancel the drama after three seasons, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The drama starring Robert Taylor and Katee Sackhoff will not return for a fourth season on the network. Sources confirm to THR that the series — the No. 1 scripted show in A&E's history — will be shopped to other networks.

"We would like to thank the phenomenal cast, crew and producers of Longmire, along with our partners at Warner Horizon, for their tireless work on three seasons of quality dramatic storytelling. We are incredibly proud of what we have achieved together," A&E said in a statement.

This month's season three finale averaged 3.7 million total viewers and a lackluster 0.6 in the all-important adults 18-49 demo, down 16 percent and 45 percent, respectively, from its season two finale.

For A&E, this leaves the network with only two original series: Carlton Cuse and KerryEhrin's Psycho prequel Bates Motel and Cuse's upcoming adaptation of French zombie drama The Returned. The network's Chloe Sevigny starrer Those Who Kill premiered earlier this year and did not make an impact. It was pulled from the network after only a handful of episodes and burned off on sister network the LMN.

Email: Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
    Twitter: @Snoodit
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Shopping the show to other networks doesn't usually work out to well.

the series — the No. 1 scripted show in A&E's history
    This month's season three finale averaged 3.7 million total viewers and a lackluster 0.6 in the all-important adults 18-49 demo, down 16 percent and 45 percent, respectively, from its season two finale.
    Sheebus! Shades of Body of Proof much????

I truly do not understand the minds of these network execs. So you have a highly rated, fairly well critiqued show that has a somewhat poor season and you cancel it? For what? Nothing or something untried? Things can not be #1 all of the time. And that show you have waiting in the wings has a poorer than average chance at being the Next Big Thing. So why not at least try to give the struggling show a chance? You already have the fan base built in and given the right press and a good makeover, many would give it a second try.

Shopping the show to other networks doesn't usually work out to well.
    True.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Oh well....I was afraid of this. I hope someone picks it up. The show has such great potential. Bad writing messed it up, IMO. There must be a serious shortage of good writers in TV land. I sure will miss that cast.
    The Bridge really turned it around on FX. It had serious issues last season, but this season it rocks. I think it's my favorite show right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh well....I was afraid of this. I hope someone picks it up. The show has such great potential. Bad writing messed it up, IMO. There must be a serious shortage of good writers in TV land. I sure will miss that cast.
    The Bridge really turned it around on FX. It had serious issues last season, but this season it rocks. I think it's my favorite show right now.
    I didn't think the show had that much potential but it was on a night that there was not much too watch. The first season was take it or leave it with a improvement for the second season and that is why I had high expectations for season 3. Unfortunately season 3 was horrible. Very disconnected. Very disjointed. Simply bad writing and bad overall plotting. I don't think I have ever seen a show implode like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I didn't think the show had that much potential but it was on a night that there was not much too watch. The first season was take it or leave it with a improvement for the second season and that is why I had high expectations for season 3. Unfortunately season 3 was horrible. Very disconnected. Very disjointed. Simply bad writing and bad overall plotting. I don't think I have ever seen a show implode like that before.
    I have. Nip Tuck, Rescue Me, The Killing, Glee, Dexter and a few others. Sometimes the producers give up, lose interest or move on. Sometimes they get different writers who just aren't that talented. It's heartbreaking too when the story and the casts are so great, but the writers can't pull it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have. Nip Tuck, Rescue Me, The Killing, Glee, Dexter and a few others. Sometimes the producers give up, lose interest or move on. Sometimes they get different writers who just aren't that talented. It's heartbreaking too when the story and the casts are so great, but the writers can't pull it together.
    I used to get very confused as to who was responsible for a TV show and very often confusing who had creative control, who directs which direction the show will go, who controls the vision, the overall story arc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showrunner]

The term showrunner was created to identify the producer who held ultimate management and creative authority for the program. The blog and book Crafty Screenwriting defines a showrunner as "the person responsible for all creative aspects of the show, and responsible only to the network (and production company, if it's not [their] production company). The boss. Usually a writer."[3]
    One of my favorite shows is MTV's Teen Wolf. The showrunner of Teen Wolf is Jeff Davis. He is a producer and writer. Not all of the episodes are written by him but he knows for each season how it will begin and how it will end. Within those parameters there is a lot of creative freedom. In fact depending if an actor is outstanding in a part they will change the story arc around that character. I think a strong creative force can really hold a series together, occasionally they do blow it. Once Upon A Time has a great creative team but not all episodes are equally as good. I am not blaming the individual writers of episodes of Longmire for the shows demise, the showrunner must take the blame for not having a bloody idea of what was going on during the season. It's like he or she went out to lunch and didn't come back. A better example is Alan Ball and what he did to Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire novels better known as the TV series True Blood. While he said he was going to diverge from the source material and I wasn't happy with it but I actually liked the first 3 or 4 seasons. Ball said season 5 would be his last with another showrunner to take over. Season 5 sucked big time and after that I quit watching because at this point the show was unrecognizable from it's source material but the main reason was it got just incredibly stupid and made no sense even with in the bounds of that stories world view. This was the vision of the new showrunner and that vision was on some bad drugs.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-30-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

I'm not surprised the show was canceled. This last season was a hot mess. It had its moments, but mostly it felt disjointed and well, lost.

A&E is probably planning another low-brow (and less expensive to produce) reality show to take its place.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I will miss the characters on Longmire. I LOVED the scenery and the feel of the wide open West. It was the only show that had an old western feel to it.

I've lost so many shows that I really like though. Men of A Certain Age and Hawthorne bit the bullet, but it seems there are plenty of low talent shows that hang in there for years. Oh well.....

I will miss characters and scenery on Longmire. One of the few shows that both my hubby and I enjoyed watching together!!

+ Reply to Thread