+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Summer Shows 2013

Re: Summer Shows 2013

Watched Marriage Bootcamp last week. It was fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I just started watching this show. I caught up on most of last season and just watched the first episode of this summer. I can see why some things about this first episode are kind of far fetched, but I find it easier to take than in other shows, because Longmire has so much to offer, IMO. They really work as a team and I find their characters interesting. There is so much testosterone! I like that a lot too! I find just about all the men on the show sexy in some way.

Can someone help me with a question. In last season, when Longmire rescued the 12 missing girls off the railroad track, why was a cup left on the rail? I didn't get it.
    That had the "kool-aid" in it. Basically a drugged drink so the girls wouldn't panic at the last minute and try to get off the train tracks. It is also a subtle reference to the "kool-aid" that Cult Leader Jim Jones had his followers drink when they committed mass suicide.

FYI: Urban legend refers to the drink used in the Jonestown mass suicide as "kool-aid" but it really was a drink called "flavor aid".

Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor commonly used in the United States that refers to a person or group holding an unquestioned belief, argument, or philosophy without critical examination. The phrase typically carries a negative connotation when applied to an individual or group. There are two likely sources for the term: the first is the Ken Kesey Kool-Aid Acid Tests of the 1960s. The second source is the November 1978 Rev. Jim Jones Jonestown Massacre,[1][2] where members of the Peoples Temple committed suicide by drinking a Kool-Aid like drink laced with cyanide.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 06-03-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for the info on Longmire.

Can you we discuss the show on this thread? I liked the episode last night. There are some rather odd things that strike me in the writing though. Why would the son place the dead man's body in his mother's compost pile? He said he didn't think anyone would find it, but what about his mom? She was there daily and likely to see the hand of a dead man in her compost. lol I think he should have taken the guy some where way off the road and dumped him. With the rural area they are in, his body may never have been found. Scavengers would probably have taken it away within a few days.

Longmire seems to be so tough when it comes to fighting or manhandling someone, but otherwise he seems to have a feeble body. It's odd. lol He's still pretty cute though.

You're welcome to start a thread for Longmire. That's the better option (vs. discussing it in this thread)
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Remember when summer was nothing but a wasteland of repeats and the new fall season of TV was something to really get excited about? This summer, I'm looking forward to The Glades, Rizzoli and Isles, Perception and Mistresses. Does Devious Maids start this summer too? And of course my beloved "Big Brother." Even though that one doesn't belong in the non-reality thread, I can't think of summer TV without it
    I think it's still pretty much a wasteland. I just can't get excited about most shows these days. I will probably watch So You Think You Can Dance and read a lot of books on my new Kindle. May even pull the plug on cable, it's getting so rediculously expensive.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I stumbled upon a show on the History Channel that I'm really enjoying. It's called Brain Games. It shows us how the brain works via a series of games and I've found it both entertaining and instructive. Each episode has a topic; some of them are been on perception, how the brain sees time and motion, male vs female brains, how the brain handles fear, deception and optical illusions, and others. It shows us what areas of brain handle different things. I've beaten a few of their games, but there's so much more I didn't know.

I hope this is the right forum for this. Here's a link for anyone who's interested. Brain Games | National Geographic Channel
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I think it's still pretty much a wasteland. I just can't get excited about most shows these days. I will probably watch So You Think You Can Dance and read a lot of books on my new Kindle. May even pull the plug on cable, it's getting so rediculously expensive.
    Really? I think there's an abundance of great summer viewing. Lots of terrific shows on TNT, USA and a few on Lifetime too. Many others on premium cable as well.
    Florimel, TripleGemini and Katydyd like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I stumbled upon a show on the History Channel that I'm really enjoying. It's called Brain Games.
    I've caught a few episodes, boy does it make me feel dumb!

I've watched The Goodwin Games and I can't believe Carter Bays from How I Met Your Mother is attached to this mess. The writing is sooo bad. I hate it for the lead actors (all of which I like except for maybe the guy playing the youngest brother) because I don't see how this show will make it.

I'm not much of a Reality TV watcher (I get the irony that I subscribe to this site, lol) except for maybe Big Brother, The Voice, The Sing-off and a couple of others but I'm going to check out Whodunnit? Whodunnit? - Get The Scoop: Whodunnit? - ABC.com. Looks kind of interesting.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Has anyone caught this new show on the National Geographic Channel called Life Below Zero? Man, all the other Alaska shows that document the lives of subsistance dwellers is pale when compared to these people. They are hardcore survivalists. They live north of the Artic Circle. It's the best reality show I have ever seen about that lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Has anyone caught this new show on the National Geographic Channel called Life Below Zero? Man, all the other Alaska shows that document the lives of subsistance dwellers is pale when compared to these people. They are hardcore survivalists. They live north of the Artic Circle. It's the best reality show I have ever seen about that lifestyle.
    I've watched it and the new Ultimate Survivor one. These people are insane, especially that woman whose recovering from leg surgery and lives the furthest north and totally alone. Both shows are fascinating.

I watched another new one last night, right after Hero, called 72 Hours. It had three teams of three people each who were dropped (literally) on one of the Fiji islands and had to make their way across several islands in a 72 hour period. The fist team to find and touch a case filled with $100,000 won the money. It was an extremely difficult set of tasks and it reminded me of that show which also had three means that had to escape from a different place each episode to find some money. Can't remember the name of that show off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here will.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread