+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hemlock Grove on Netflix

FORT Fogey

Re: Hemlock Grove on Netflix

I hope there's a season 2. Roman's just beginning his real journey and who knows what might bring Peter back to town. When he saw Shelley as he was heading out of town in her 'dream' state (at least how Roman saw her while comatose), my impression was that she had transformed somehow, but not necessarily permanently. Was Shelley the same as Roman and Olivia? I think not, at least not exactly. But there's still lots more to learn about her. And, what about Roman's baby?

Yeah, there's still lots more to know here.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

What I remember from the first episode is that Shelley died as an infant - another of Olivia's mistakes? Anyway her father J.R. rushed her to the mad doctor and he brought her back to life using jelly fish DNA. That is why she glows. Anyway, it seems the legacy transformation takes place when the child, young adult, "kills" themselves and is re-born as a you know what...though no graveyard needed. I think because Shelley was killed by her mother (another no cawl disappointment) she will not transform into the legacy.

From Roman's dream, is the uncle his father and not J.R.? If so, then his unconscious "angel" appearance made that baby a product of incest. I wonder what really killed the mother? Also, did the Mad Doc use jelly fish DNA to bring this baby back to life? Is that a reason Roman couldn't kill it, because it reminded him of his beloved sister, Shelley?

AND - does the Order of the Dragon hunt and kill both werewolves and vampires - or Upir? Who is the Bishop? The tracker, at one point, said she could drive a knife through his angelic heart.

So many questions.

ETA: Did anyone know that Upir means Vampire? I had no idea until the very last episode when Olivia and Roman were revealed. It kind of makes me laugh that a Gypsy werewolf and a nascient vampire became besties; or is that beasties. Both this Gypsy clan and the vampire clan came from the Romanian region. What did the drops made by Gypsy magic control for Olivia? So much intertwining between the disparate clans over the generations.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-27-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    What I remember from the first episode is that Shelley died as an infant - another of Olivia's mistakes? Anyway her father J.R. rushed her to the mad doctor and he brought her back to life using jelly fish DNA. That is why she glows. Anyway, it seems the legacy transformation takes place when the child, young adult, "kills" themselves and is re-born as a you know what...though no graveyard needed. I think because Shelley was killed by her mother (another no cawl disappointment) she will not transform into the legacy.

From Roman's dream, is the uncle his father and not J.R.? If so, then his unconscious "angel" appearance made that baby a product of incest. I wonder what really killed the mother? Also, did the Mad Doc use jelly fish DNA to bring this baby back to life? Is that a reason Roman couldn't kill it, because it reminded him of his beloved sister, Shelley?

AND - does the Order of the Dragon hunt and kill both werewolves and vampires - or Upir? Who is the Bishop? The tracker, at one point, said she could drive a knife through his angelic heart.

So many questions.

ETA: Did anyone know that Upir means Vampire? I had no idea until the very last episode when Olivia and Roman were revealed. It kind of makes me laugh that a Gypsy werewolf and a nascient vampire became besties; or is that beasties. Both this Gypsy clan and the vampire clan came from the Romanian region. What did the drops made by Gypsy magic control for Olivia? So much intertwining between the disparate clans over the generations.
    Wow, Arielflies, you got a lot more out of this show than I did. Thanks for explaining. This is usually not my genre of shows, but I hung in there. I will see if I want to continue watching this if there is a second season. The jury is still out.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

Upir? I kept hearing lupere, lol, I was googling the heck out of every conceivable spelling of that word. No luck. Zilch. I guess it's just a made-up word, similar to Vargulf. Although, it was more obvious what a vargulf was.

Here's what really boggled my mind, in the end ...

Olivia's baby that she had at 13 and gave away to the swineherd was called "Magdalena".

Nikolai's grandmother, or great-grandmother, was called "Magdalena".

Same person? So Roman and Peter are distantly related? And Olivia was many generations older than all the rest, which was alluded to once or twice.

This show, as creepy and weird, and frankly grisly as it was, also had its funny moments. I lol'ed at Norman being sent upstairs to bed at the end. I wonder if he's still there? How long does that spell last if the spell-caster isn't around to remove it? Or is she?

Oh, and any scene with Destiny in it was a winner. I couldn't get enough of her.

Yeah, bring on Season 2.

ETA: Well, lo and behold, if you have the right spelling you can find anything on Google! Thanks Arielflies! It's Upir and Varghulf.
    Last edited by Alexxxx; 04-28-2013 at 01:45 PM.

We should start a "Where is Norman" search like where is Waldo. He is just one of many loose ends.

Thanks for reminding me about Magdalena. I bet she is the child spawned by the gypsy boy and Olivia. She was sent to the Gypsies for raising, plus she turned on Nicholai when ordered to do so by the Nazi Upir. She also must have been at least two centuries old.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm going to put this here just to give everyone who's interested a heads up.

As with Hemlock Grove and House of Cards, Netflix will be streaming the new season of Arrested Development. It's scheduled to start on May 26 and all 15 episodes will be available. Our family will be watching.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

They've announced a season 2, which begins July 11, 2014.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-05-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Alexxxx likes this.

Thank you so much for posting this I have been wondering if this show was going to ever announce the 2nd season. Love this show
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fogey

Guess I'll blame the Texas heat for staying inside this weekend and binge watching season 2, and wow, it was pretty good. Although I spent most of the time trying to remember loose story ends left dangling all over the place. But in the end the story all came together, like it usually does.

Question for anybody else watching -- who is the actress playing the Russian doctor working with Price? She sure looks like Morelo from Orange is the New Black to me. I couldn't catch her name from the credits -- they went by too fast.

Anyway, I hope they hurry up with a season 3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12