+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Defiance on SyFy

Defiance on SyFy

Is anyone else planning to watch the premiere episode of Defiance on SyFy tonight? It looks intriguing and has a good cast -- Julie Benz, Jaime Murray, Grant Bowler, and an interesting premise. It's on tonight at 9/8 pm and repeats at 11/10. It will also repeat several more times this week.

One interesting concept is that they have a game available for PC, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3 that will include playing along with the series. As a gamer, I'd love to do this, but I never pay $60 (standard edition) or $100 (deluxe edition) for a game. I always wait until the price comes down by at least 75% and I'll do the same with this one.

Here's a link for anyone who is interested. http://www.defiance.com/en/series/
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Defiance on SyFy

I've DVR'd it...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I've DVR'd it...
    So did I.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

(Note some minor spoilers).

I saw a good portion of it, but I missed the first couple of minutes so I don't know if they featured the story of how this came to be.

What I love is that they do have the alien groups speak their own language, and a lot of it is quite pretty. The doctor in this one is quite analytical and in being such makes her even more funny when she makes quips about patients.

The scenery and settings are beautiful and the characters are decently thought out. It's one of the better SyFy creations. I'm hoping it does well long term, but it's got some potential rivals in network TV. I do think that - save it's head to head potential with "Dallas" it may win out on the cable networks and last a long time.

From what I have read the entire first season has already been shot, so it shouldn't be cancelled any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    From what I have read the entire first season has already been shot, so it shouldn't be cancelled any time soon.
    I'm glad it's at least getting a full season. Do think the costs may factor in the series long term however, which would be sad but unsurprising.

For me one of the funniest lines was from the doctor - after explaining the one alien needed some repairs, she goes "And the human is just lying there pretending to be unconscious," then goes and swats him and he makes a face or something.

I haven't watched it yet; it's on my DVR for so I can watch more than once in case I miss something. I think, perhaps, that having a video game out at the same time and working in conjunction with the show may account for the full season commitment. It's a revenue boost for both.

The Hollywood Reporter says that the first episode had the best ratings for SyFy since Warehouse 13 & it hit the target audience as well as they had hoped.....but, they also ask the question, did it do enough to cover the cost of the expensive production costs???? Stay tuned!

Finally watched the premiere. After all the hoopla and snippets and specials I was actually very excited to see this show because it has been ages since there has been a good scifi series on. I have fond memories of Babylon 5, Farscape and Battlestar Galactica the reboot not the original. Ah, mustn't forget Eureka, Stargate, Sanctuary and Lost Girl or Doctor Who. I must admit I was pretty bored and uninterested until the last 15 minutes of the 2 hour premiere. The story and the characters felt very flat. I was surprised at this. The TV Guide even said it was a bit disappointing but that it does pick up in the next three episodes.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think it was a case of trying to present too much in one show, a flaw of many pilot shows with complex story lines. I'm looking forward to more.

My son agrees that there were too many threads in the pilot to really grab you. He believes, and I concur, that Lost had the best pilot show in his lifetime. I recall pestering him for years to watch Lost until finally he came to visit one day and I just put my DVD of season 1 on and watched his face. He was hooked from the start and says he's never seen another show that was able to do that.

I hope and believe that Defiance will improve. Babbred, our science fiction choices are similar. I loved Farscape, Babylon 5, Eureka, Stargate, and Doctor Who. I'd also add Warehouse 13 and Firefly to my list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast