+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Defiance on SyFy

Re: Defiance on SyFy

It's off the DVR. I didn't even try. If you are going post-apocalyptic, at least add in some trees and a few flowers. I hate when they go all desert industrial. I'm reading that the characters and plot are not making up for the scenery, so I don't feel guilty letting this one go.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Sadly, I have to agree. I had high hopes for this show, but it's been a disappointment so far. I put episode 3 on DVR, but have not yet gotten around to watching it. At least I have my dvd collections of Firefly and Farscape.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I wish they had kept Sanctuary. I was looking forward to seeing the "new" sanctuary that they showed on what turned out to be the series finale.
    Defiance is off my DVR list after the third episode. So disappointing...

I watched the first 3 episodes and about 10 minutes into episode 4 and still can't get into this show. I watched most of episode 8 which was about a resurrected astronaut from 2013 and even then I was channel surfing during parts of the story. I normally give a show a better chance to impress but I still can't get into it. Bye Bye.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I can't either, Bearcata, and I keep trying, mostly because of Grahame Greene and Fionnula Flanagan, I think. There was an interesting premise there, but they've just turned it into the same old, same old soap opera and set it a little into the future. Even the episode with the astronaut had promise, but they did so little with it.
    Bearcata likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I know a lot of folks have stopped watching "Defiance," but I did see the season ender last night.

Will say this much:

1. There are only three characters worth watching - Shtama (the albino woman - Casthian), Irisa (the Irathenent who came to Defiance with Nolan), and Doc Yewll (the Indogene - the bald headed doctor). They're the only ones with any true emotion and depth of character. The rest are a bit wooden.

2. Was not surprised the killed off the one character - a minor character, and there will probably be some outcries because it was done as a "forgiveness" type of murder. I will go into spoilers as to why:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Shtama kills the owner of the NeedWant - Amanda's sister - by poisoning her. She does it because Datak tells her to in order to get his forgiveness. It does read a bit as a crime that Muslims do - an "honor killing" which is confusing because a. they live in a caste system, which is usually Hindu, and b. regardless Shtama is in a higher caste than Datak, so I find it sad she thinks she's subservient

3. I didn't like how they ended this first season - far too many cliffhangers and given that the show will not return for nearly a full year (June 2014) they're going to lose a lot of viewers I think.

The one thing I did like is they showed how the game and the series cross over, such as the virus, the hell bugs, and a couple of other stories.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123