+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Bates Motel

Re: Bates Motel

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I saw two episodes of this show this weekend. I'm not sure how many have aired. I really like it!

I'm a little confused about the death of Norman's dad. Was it suicide or murder and was mom involved? Norman seems to suspect something was up. AND the older son does too.

I wonder if that is not part of the reason mom didn't want to call in that attack on her and subsequent killing, even though, it was sort of self defense. She didn't want anyone digging into her past and the dead husband.

Who was that person hanging burning?

What was in those white plastic containers that the older song brought home? Cocaine? Certainly, you wouldn't carry drugs like that.

Who is the girl with CF's dad? Could it be the sheriff? I know she said her dad retired, but I really wonder why they haven't shown him yet.
    the man hanging/burning is the man who ordered the attack on the man found burned in his car. During their `date ` and the woodchuck fair, the deputy who `likes` Norma told her the town of White Pines handles justice their own way ``An eye for an eye`` to quote him. He also tells her that the town has another source of income which explains why a bunch of organic farmers and artisan cheese makers can afford to live in mansions. That other source of income is fields of pot, worth millions of dollars, hidden up in the woods and mountains. I don't remember Dylan bringing home white containers. I`ll have to recheck that. CF (her name is Emma, I thank) told Norma she and her Dad had been living in England, where he worked as an English Professor. He chose to retire and move with his daughter back to The States so he could focus more on her upbringing. He is an expert taxidermist, so he is able to operate a shop and make enough money so that he and Emma are able to live above his shop. I guess we know where Norman eventually picks up his taxidermy skills.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

I appreciate good writing with a slightly odd atmosphere. The acting superb. To me, and maybe its because I'm not thinking of this in such literal terms, this is more the study of how a serial killer is formed by his childhood interactions with family. I'm not so stuck on it being in present day as my focus is on how `Mother` screwed up Norman so profoundly. What I also appreciate about this writing is this: we already know the murderous psychopath Norman becomes and by all rights we should be repelled just knowing that. But we aren't, not watching young Norman, even as we see him descending into the signs of murderous depravity we have empathy. at times hes likable, sweet, despairing, aware and unaware of his Mothers unnatural attachment to him. We want I'm to escape, I want to tell him to get the he## out before its too late. Even though his fate is sealed. His relationship with his female peers gives him a sweet normalcy-well all seemed normal until this weeks outburst regarding the Japanese animae book. But, last week, with Emma, they had a connection, a kiss and one heck of a shared adventure. Theres also some touches of humor. Two things I noticed: The sheriff using the motel bathroom where the body was hidden in the tub. Thats not the funny part. The funny part is how long he goes to the bathroom-while Norma stands there in suspense. I mean, the guy really had to go a long time! The other bit of humor was during the chase through the woods. Norman and Emma are running like crazed rabbits as they try to lose the guys hunting them down. As Norman and Emma hide in the shrubs Norman turns to Emma (who is huffing and puffing because of CF) and whispers `Don't even breathe`(wait three seconds) ``Sorry.`` Its black humor but appropriate for the stories structure.
    prhoshay, Ellen, Katydyd and 1 others like this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Sums up exactly the things I really like and find so interesting about this show, but couldn't find the right words to express. Thanks redsox girl!
    redsox girl likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    ... because the world and its tastes have changed, and I still have to make a living.
    Oops! I meant "...and I think the writers, etc., still have to make a living."
    redsox girl likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks to all for the info and insight. Sound good to me.

Ref. the white containers. I'm not sure when, but Norma's older son returns home with his arms full of these white packages. She complains for waking her up late, but lets him in. I never saw it mentioned again. I hope I didn't dream this. lol
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks to all for the info and insight. Sound good to me.

Ref. the white containers. I'm not sure when, but Norma's older son returns home with his arms full of these white packages. She complains for waking her up late, but lets him in. I never saw it mentioned again. I hope I didn't dream this. lol
    Ooh, I think those white packages are tablecloths or shower curtains or sheets -I know Norma ordered one of those three things for the motel rooms and asked Dylan to pick them up and bring them home. I remember him definitley coming home with those packages. You arent imagining things
    Debb70 likes this.

Anybody still watching? This show keeps getting better as it goes on....
    livin4reality and JavaJo like this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I recorded and will watch soon. I'll come back with my thoughts.

That really was a woman in the deputy's basement wasn't it? Norman's mom said he imagined it. It was real, right?

FORT Fogey

I'm watching! It's really getting good.

Norman certainly was pleased with himself walking home the morning after spending the night with Bradley (is Bradley really being used as a girl's name these days?).

I loved the older brother Dylan telling Norman to go be a teenager for once and meet the girl. As nasty as Dylan tries to be, I think he really cares for his brother. There are some intensely dark feelings for his mom, though.

The girl in the basement -- yes she was real. Evidently Shelby had already moved her to the boat by the time Norma went snooping in the basement. This story line is really creepy and I hope it's resolved soon.

My only complaint with this show -- the actors playing Shelby and Dylan look too similar. It always takes me a second to figure out which one Norma is dealing with. Since one's the boyfriend and one's the son, that's kind of unsettling. But, both actors are seriously good so I'll get over it.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    I'm watching! It's really getting good.

Norman certainly was pleased with himself walking home the morning after spending the night with Bradley (is Bradley really being used as a girl's name these days?).

I loved the older brother Dylan telling Norman to go be a teenager for once and meet the girl. As nasty as Dylan tries to be, I think he really cares for his brother. There are some intensely dark feelings for his mom, though.

The girl in the basement -- yes she was real. Evidently Shelby had already moved her to the boat by the time Norma went snooping in the basement. This story line is really creepy and I hope it's resolved soon.

My only complaint with this show -- the actors playing Shelby and Dylan look too similar. It always takes me a second to figure out which one Norma is dealing with. Since one's the boyfriend and one's the son, that's kind of unsettling. But, both actors are seriously good so I'll get over it.
    Not to get too dark, but I think the reason Shelby and Dylan look so much alike is a decision by the writers to underscore Norma's sick attraction to her sons. Theres a very good reason Dylan despises Norma, and I think before Norman came along Norma was fixated on Dylan the way she now fixates on Norman. Shelby looks like Dylan and Norma is dating Shelby, first as a way to manipulate him, but also because he looks like Dylan. That`s how I read it. She is one of the most disturbing characters ever dreamed up for a television show. This show is addictive and so well-written. I`m hooked.

+ Reply to Thread