+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Bates Motel

Re: Bates Motel

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    DH and I are LOVING IT.

I think Vera playing Norma is awesome. She is just doing a fab job.

Did anyone notice the dark haired cop, he was Richard Alpert on LOST.

I hope we get to see a few seasons of this show. Its great and exciting and scary and creepy all in one.

I really like the young man playing Norman.
    If Nestor Carbonell/Richard Alpert really is a recurring character, I'll have to take another look.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I think they are trying to show Norman as a teenager and what leads up to his going Psycho. I watched the premiere but it did not draw me in.
    Right. I understand that. So, why is it taking place in the present instead of sometime in the 1950s???

That's a question a lot of people are asking, and from what I've read the producers didn't really have a good answer for it. Basically they didn't have the budget to spend on making an authentic period-style show (like Mad Men), so they're fudging the time issue and making the events more recent.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

[QUOTE=tinderbox;4627751]Right. I understand that. So, why is it taking place in the present instead of sometime in the 1950s???

Because they are not doing a literal interpretation. .
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

I will be the first to admit it, I like the show it is interesting to see Norman Bates as a young man....but to put it into the setting of 2013 is where it gets kinda cheesy.

If they did not have the money to do it in the correct time the network should never have signed off on it....

But they have me hooked (and to the network that is all that matters) and the acting is really good on the show.

I like the way they've set it in the present. Its different. I mean, you know it's supposed to be present day, but somehow the atmosphere isn't quite 2013. Norman's clothes for example, and the taxidermy shop, the hotel - heck, the town itself. Everything feels just slightly old fashioned. It's somehow off kilter - but in a good way. Even when Norman and Tank Girl (can't remember her name) were running from the drug lookouts and jumped into her car, it looked like an older beetle. I like the addition of the brother too. I mean, we know what happens to Norma and Norman, so it's kinda hard to hope maybe things turn out ok for them. But the brother...maybe he has a shot at redemption. Then again, things aren't looking so great for him right now either
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love it! I love it! I love it!

So far, so good!!
    redsox girl likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I saw two episodes of this show this weekend. I'm not sure how many have aired. I really like it!

I'm a little confused about the death of Norman's dad. Was it suicide or murder and was mom involved? Norman seems to suspect something was up. AND the older son does too.

I wonder if that is not part of the reason mom didn't want to call in that attack on her and subsequent killing, even though, it was sort of self defense. She didn't want anyone digging into her past and the dead husband.

Who was that person hanging burning?

What was in those white plastic containers that the older song brought home? Cocaine? Certainly, you wouldn't carry drugs like that.

Who is the girl with CF's dad? Could it be the sheriff? I know she said her dad retired, but I really wonder why they haven't shown him yet.

Creepy. Trainwreck. Earnest attempt at being true(ish) to Hitchcock, given 21st century experiences and expectations. Not an easy task. I'll give it three more episodes. So far, not to my (Hitchcock film scholar) tastes, but I'm still curious because the world and its tastes have changed, and I still have to make a living.
    Florimel likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I saw two episodes of this show this weekend. I'm not sure how many have aired. I really like it!

I'm a little confused about the death of Norman's dad. Was it suicide or murder and was mom involved? Norman seems to suspect something was up. AND the older son does too.

I wonder if that is not part of the reason mom didn't want to call in that attack on her and subsequent killing, even though, it was sort of self defense. She didn't want anyone digging into her past and the dead husband.

Who was that person hanging burning?

What was in those white plastic containers that the older song brought home? Cocaine? Certainly, you wouldn't carry drugs like that.

Who is the girl with CF's dad? Could it be the sheriff? I know she said her dad retired, but I really wonder why they haven't shown him yet.
    The older son, Dylan, through inference lets us know Sam's death was not an accident. He mentions this to Norma when she tries o make him leave. He's aware of a insurance scam on her part. He conveniently mentions just enough of what he knows in order to keep her from trowing him out. I also have a feeling that before Norman was born she was focusing her warped attention on him. I think adding Dylan was a great move. He loathes Norma, yet I noticed , when he was alone in the sitting room, he was picking up framed photos of Norman and Norma, studying them with a certain contempt and disgust, but he also seemed hurt that there aren't any photos of him. Whatever contempt he has for Norman seems to be over ridden by a certain amount of concern for his psychological well-being. Particularly evident in last nights episode when he told Norman how much Norma is smothering Norman, how shes ruining him. He wasn't as angry last night in telling Norman these things. He seemed more frustrated and with a touch of fear when Norman told him he didn;t remember coming at Dylan with a meat tenderizer.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread