+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Bates Motel

Re: Bates Motel

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think it's interesting you describe Norma as a sociopath. What makes you think that?
    Her inability to really connect or care for anyone other than Norman, her lack of empathy, her horrific mood swings.....the signs are all there.
    redsox girl likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I really like the way this show is done!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Her inability to really connect or care for anyone other than Norman, her lack of empathy, her horrific mood swings.....the signs are all there.
    I see. I'm not sure I see her that way. I think she has a fair does of narcissism, may be histriontic, but I'm not so sure about sociopathy. Recall the Asian girl she had compassion for and helped? (By the way, what happened to her?) And she seemed to really be in love with that sheriff's deputy before he did her wrong. She was minding her own business and not hurting anyone when they mean, crazy man raped her. So she may PTSD too.
    Histrionic Personality Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central

I find her character facsinating and just love watching her. She can be very funny without even trying.
    Punkin and tinderbox like this.

I'm not enjoying this season as much as season 1. I'm finding the sideplots to be a bit overdeveloped. The weed storyline with people getting killed by rival dealers irritates me and took up quite a bit of time in the first few episodes of this season. And now there's this whole storyline with Emma and the cupcake guy (don't know his name). I don't like the new girl, Cody. Christine is a bit annoying too. She came on really strong out of nowhere wanting to be Norma's best friend because she liked her singing at the play audition. I think she has ulterior motives. Also, no mention of Miss Watson.

I liked that we saw Norman as Norma for the first time in this ep. And shirtless Dylan.
    JavaJo likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

I suspect the drug money that runs the town is something that will be ongoing, since the town has little else. And I wonder if Norma realizes that without the drug business, she may have no customers at her motel. She seems to be so opposed to it, but it's probably paying for most of the school costs, banks, etc. in their town.
    momrek06 likes this.

I was shocked to her Norma tell Dylan that her brother was his father....only for the brother to put it back on their father! I liked how they showed Norman channeling his mother; connected with the movie and showed how early this had happened. Interestingly, Norma's mother had a case of "the crazies", too. There is a definite genetic thread running through this family.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love this crazy show!

Is Norma's father the same man who is her brother's father?

Does Norma have a different genetic father than the one who raised/raped her?

I ask because Dylan is very "normal". How can he be if his genetic father is either his uncle or his grandfather?

Wouldn't he be a genetic mess?

Now, IF Norman were the son who was born from a close family member...I could almost buy it.

Really good questions. I would say that Norman has the crazies because he was closely raised BY Norma. By whom was Dylan raised? I thought it was interesting how much Dylan was cast to look like the brother....which would lead me to wonder what the dad looked like.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

That's all!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I ask because Dylan is very "normal". How can he be if his genetic father is either his uncle or his grandfather?

Wouldn't he be a genetic mess?

Now, IF Norman were the son who was born from a close family member...I could almost buy it.
    If family members have kids, they don't always turn out with mental/physical birth defects, although the chances are much higher than with non-relatives. So I guess Dylan was lucky. As far as I know, genetic relatives (either human or animal) having offspring is much more harmful when inbreeding occurs multiple times over multiple generations. An example would be the health problems that are associated with certain purebred dog breeds.

Dylan was raised by the man Norma told him was his father, the boyfriend she had in high school. She told him that the baby was his. They must have gotten divorced, since Norma was with Norman's dad since. Dylan said in season 1 that he doesn't talk to his dad (or at least who he thought was his dad).
    Debb70 likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

+ Reply to Thread