+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bible on History Channel

The Bible on History Channel

Anybody else watching this? Overall, I like it. However, I have some regrets.

-- I wish they had delved into Jacob and his wives. All that soap opera could have filled a few episodes.

--Wish they had shown more of Jonathan and David's relationship. The scene where David pours out his grief on hearing about the death of Jonathan is one of the saddest in the Bible.

Also interesting to see what they've discreetly left out. For instance, not trying to start a controversy here, but the Bible does say the sin of Sodom was homosexuality. Also, when the Israelites attacked Jericho and the Philistines, they were commanded to kill everything, including the women and children.

I love the kick-butt angels. I think they're my favorite part. And I loved the story of Samson in episode 2. That made me cry. I also thought the whole Moses storyline was well done, especially the parting of the Red Sea.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Re: The Bible on History Channel

I have been really busy so taped episode 1 and 2!

Finally watched episode 1 last night and LOVED it.

DH & I thought it was great and while I am not a huge 2 hour show fan, we are IN!!!

OMG, the whole MOSES s/l I loved. GREAT.
    KAREN

I loved how they handled the parting of the Red Sea. You remember when that animated movie about Moses came out several years ago? I think it was called "Prince of Egypt"? The Israelites just walked across on dry land and gazed in wonder at the tall waves. Don't get me wrong; I thought the sequence was beautiful. However, I thought they did it much better here in this movie. Just reading the words in the Bible, you really don't get the terror they must have felt as they tried to keep ahead of the Egyptian army.

I also love the casting choices they've made. Kick-butt Asian angels, Samson with dreadlocks. Man, if the Bible had been portrayed as this cool when I was growing up, I would have payed more attention in Sunday School.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

I'm loving it. Yes, they left out some important points. Still I am surprised by how much fun this is to watch. I'm liking the fact that I don't know any of the actors. I'm also liking how rough they look instead of all scrubbed clean as if they all had indoor plumbing.

We've been watching it and it's pretty good. They mostly stick to the Bible and they readily admit they try to stick to the spirit of the story, not that it's exact. We like the kick-butt angels too! It's interesting to see what they chose to include as well as what they left out. So far the choices have made sense. It took me a bit with Jacob but the Patriarchs were represented. They have a lot to cover. I realized at the end of the first show that it left off after the Pentateuch. That seems like a good breaking off point.

We also for the most part have liked the casting. I think it's well-done and we'll continue to watch the series.

My husband is British, so we're loving the British accents.

And it's too bad they didn't show that story where the poor man reached out to touch the Ark and God struck him down. They could have had an "Indiana Jones" moment there.
    ilja likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I loved how they handled the parting of the Red Sea. You remember when that animated movie about Moses came out several years ago? I think it was called "Prince of Egypt"? The Israelites just walked across on dry land and gazed in wonder at the tall waves. Don't get me wrong; I thought the sequence was beautiful. However, I thought they did it much better here in this movie. Just reading the words in the Bible, you really don't get the terror they must have felt as they tried to keep ahead of the Egyptian army.

I also love the casting choices they've made. Kick-butt Asian angels, Samson with dreadlocks. Man, if the Bible had been portrayed as this cool when I was growing up, I would have payed more attention in Sunday School.
    Maybe they'll use this in the future in Sunday Schools!

Glad I found this thread!

Count me IN!

Those kick-ass angels ROCKED! I really loved how they did the Parting of the Red Sea, too. And Samson.

Oh, heck, I loved the WHOLE THING!

In particular, I liked how they did the casting. I saw Roma and Mark on The View and they said that they didn't want to cast a bunch of well-known names for the series. Matter of fact, I'd read that before/when the series was about to air. When it began to, I understood why. By NOT thinking: "Oooh! THERE'S so-and-so!", as you watch, you're totally free to lose yourself in the stories. Which is the whole point of this, I think.

I'll stop here, and look forward to the rest of the upcoming series. Otherwise, I think we'd be here awhile.

I'm glad Downey and Burnett did this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

That's kind of how I feel about animated movies now. You spend so much time thinking, "Oh, cool, that's a big-name actor doing the voice!" that you don't really get into the movie. That's why part of me enjoys watching classic animated movies better.
    ness likes this.

I'm enjoying this series far more than I thought I would. Very very good!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast