+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Vikings - History Channel

Vikings - History Channel

Did anyone watch this? It premiered March 3rd on the History Channel. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not but the first episode was good enough that I am willing to give the next couple of episodes a shot. It doesn't hurt that the lead actor, played by Travis Fimmel, is easy on the eyes

The HISTORY® original series Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to explore—and raid—the distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.

But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnar’s brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealously; of Earl Haraldson’s wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings’ pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the test—and their way of life will never be the same again.

Vikings was created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Vikings - History Channel

It apparently got excellent ratings, so should be around for a bit.

I've been watching. Comcast has the episodes early, so I watched episode 2 yesterday. Apparently, episodes 3 and 4 will be available OnDemand soon.

I thought episode 1 was REALLY slow. Too long on exposition and not enough action. I'm willing to stick with it though. I did find it hard to root for them in light of what happened at the monastery in episode 2. I didn't think that was necessary.

Travis Fimmel looks so much like Charlie Hunnam at times that I find it distracting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I haven't watched yet, but I plan to either watch tonight or dvr it. As with most cable channels, there seem to be several showings of the episodes.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

This is supposed to be told from the Viking point of view---we usually only hear about them from the victims' view as the victims could write....but by all (victim) accounts they were pretty awful. Rape and pillage and sometimes carry away the women, plus a lot of killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been watching. Comcast has the episodes early, so I watched episode 2 yesterday. Apparently, episodes 3 and 4 will be available OnDemand soon.

I thought episode 1 was REALLY slow. Too long on exposition and not enough action. I'm willing to stick with it though. I did find it hard to root for them in light of what happened at the monastery in episode 2. I didn't think that was necessary.

Travis Fimmel looks so much like Charlie Hunnam at times that I find it distracting.
    I think they are trying to show the actual historical events (like the attack on the monastery) as accurately as possible while embellishing the interpersonal relationships to create interesting storylines.
    Florimel and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    I think they are trying to show the actual historical events (like the attack on the monastery) as accurately as possible while embellishing the interpersonal relationships to create interesting storylines.
    Yes, I know what they're doing. My point was that it's hard to find them sympathetic within the context of a TV show when they're killing unarmed monks with no provocation.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, I struggled with that, too. I had developed real sympathy for the lead and was enjoying the show. And then to see the "hero" acting like, well, a Viking with no compunction was really disconcerting. I know he saved that monk in the end and seemed intrigued by him. Still, to slaughter an entire monastery of unarmed monks for no reason was hard to watch.

To see this from the monk's POV, read Sun Dancing by Geoffrey Morehouse. It's a fictionalized look at life inside an ancient Irish monastery, and one chapter has a Viking raid. In his end notes, the author says that the Vikings were like Al Quaida in the ancient world. They could strike at any time, anywhere. When they did they struck terror into their victims because of the wanton death and destruction they caused. So, yeah, this will be interesting to see how they try to make the lead sympathetic.

I must say, though, that locations are gorgeous. I want to go there! And I like the scenes with the evil chieftain. It reminds me of The Godfather. Also, Loki is kind of a cool character. I like how he's crazy but still has an aura of tapping into something divine. That and his love of nature kind of remind me of Radergast the wizard from The Hobbit.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I like this show quite a lot. It's not as if monks and other religious leaders were innocent of killing their own share of victims. I think the acting is quite good so far and the characters are very interesting to me. I know a small amount about Viking culture and mythology, but I anticipate learning a lot more from this show.

I went to Hulu where I found a lot of brief excerpts that shows many facets of Viking life. Couldn't stop watching until I'd finished all 24 of them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Just wanted to pop in to say I'm still enjoying the show.

Like Florimel I don't know too much about Viking culture but I am enjoying learning as I go. I think the actor who plays Ragnar's wife, Lagertha is amazing. For the longest time I couldn't remember where I'd seen her before but after a quick search realized that she was on the series Bones for a while as a love interest of Sealy Booth.

I hope it sticks around for a while...
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast