+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: House of Cards

House of Cards

I hope this belongs here; if not, administrators can move or remove it.

In order to watch this new series, you need to have Netflix streaming, but if you do, it is among the best scripted programming I've seen, IMO. It's an updated, Americanized version of the British miniseries of the same name. I have been vocal about the fact that I do not enjoy that at all, but this, along with "All in the Family," are my two exceptions.

Netflix released all 13 episodes of Season One last Friday. I watched all of them over the weekend, but they are there for viewers to choose if they want to watch as a marathon or spread the viewing over weeks or months. I'll probably watch again more slowly the second time around.

It has an excellent cast headed by Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright and it focuses on the evil people are willing to do to obtain or retain power.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: House of Cards

Thank you! As one that likes to watch 'Binge" on Netflix. I was curious. What would you compare it to?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I don't know what "Binge" is, but would like to know.

I would liken "House of Cards" to such things as "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," "Advise and Consent," or "All the President's Men."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

FORT Regular

I'm anxious to watch this. Probably not all in one sitting but definitely could see watching 3-4 at a time! I like that they've released it all at once! It will definitely be interesting to see if they are trendsetters with this approach - they foresee this as the future of how we will all be watching TV, so we'll see if that indeed happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I don't know what "Binge" is, but would like to know.

I would liken "House of Cards" to such things as "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," "Advise and Consent," or "All the President's Men."
    "Binge watching' is what they call watching all of a season/or many seasons in a row. The show 'Breaking Bad' - when on Netflix people 'binged on it' - and gained many more followers than it had before. I think Netflix is banking their show on these kind of watchers.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I've watched the first three episodes and am really enjoying the show so far. I'd love to binge on the rest of it when I have a chance.

Thanks, beerbelly. That's kind of what I thought, but since you had put "binge" in quotes, I wondered if it were the name of a show I didn't know.

Thanks for posting about this. I love Kevin Spacey and hadn't heard about the show. I watched the first episode last night and loved it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm on episode 4 now and still love it. I will say that when Kevin Spacey is in full "politician mode," his accent slips a bit into Bing Crosby territory, which I find a little distracting. I still love him, but that sing-song thing he does has me expecting him to break into song.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For me, It got better and better as it went along. I don't mind Spacey's accent; he sound a lot like some old-time Southern politicians have always sounded. Years ago, they were Democrats, now they are Republicans.
    I did a lot of accent work in community theater; it was a talent I had to a degree. But, I've never really focused on how good or poor accents are. A great performance overrides any accent issues for me.

Spacey is so beautifully malevolent, but then so is everyone else. I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I have, Critical.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast