+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 202
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

  1. #61
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Yeah, I get what the FBI did. I just think that for the Russians to have taken it hook, line and sinker, was rather naive and foolish. Certainly, they are smarter than that. I guess we'll learn later if it went down as it seemed.

  2. #62
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I get what the FBI did. I just think that for the Russians to have taken it hook, line and sinker, was rather naive and foolish. Certainly, they are smarter than that. I guess we'll learn later if it went down as it seemed.
    I think they .. the KGB ... may still be on alert. The resident looked up at Nina (the secretary) and the Russians will figure that she could be involved ... if only through the Resident. Look what they did to Philip and Elizabeth with some suspicion. I think she (Nina)will be gone ... either with that bullet in her head or Stan is going to get her into some sort of defector's protection program.

    I really enjoy this show ... and while it may seem outlandish at times ... we have become pretty complacent and it reminds us that sleepers have been operating for years.

    That is what the 911 terrorists were.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  3. #63
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Yeah, I really wonder if Nina is going to get Stan by the bills, so to speak. Would it be okay with the FBI for him to sleep with her? I think he might.

  4. #64
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I really wonder if Nina is going to get Stan by the bills, so to speak. Would it be okay with the FBI for him to sleep with her? I think he might.
    I don't think it's considered "okay" for FBI handlers ... which Stan would be considered ... to sleep with their informants ... but it has happened.
    Fairly recently, there was a pretty widely publicized incident with a Chinese woman who was reportedly a double agent ... but sleeping with TWO (2) Senior FBI counterintelligence agents!

    ETA: Hey! I wonder if Nina will end up being a double agent and Elizabeth will eliminate her.
    Last edited by echo226; 03-11-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  5. #65
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I really wonder if Nina is going to get Stan by the bills, so to speak. Would it be okay with the FBI for him to sleep with her? I think he might.
    Debb ... you need to watch the last episode

    I think Nina is going to go soon, but I don't know how. Stan is already asking when is it time to "extricate" an informant.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  6. #66
    as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    After having watched the S1 premier/pilot episode (which I LOVED!) I went on holiday for 5+ weeks and had six episodes of this show to catch up on. A colleague of mine (that I convinced to watch the show based solely on the strength of the pilot) had been watching faithfully while I was gone and said he and his wife were having trouble staying engaged with the show... that after 5 episodes they were feeling very "meh" about it.

    I went ahead and watched the episodes in order (thank you DVR-gods for getting all of them!!) and when I got thru episode 5 couldn't figure out how he could not be as "woohoo" over the show as I was. I think he's KAH-RAY-ZEE and encouraged him to continue. I think my favorite episode was #6 "Trust Me" (where Elizabeth gave Claudia that nice lil beat-down LOL) because it was such a suspenseful episode.

    I love Margo Martindale (Claudia) and will watch her in anything. She breathes life into characters which may perhaps be a little flat on the page, and delivers powerful complex performances.

    Matthew Rhys (Phillip) is so believable in this role and I love seeing the different characters he becomes IN this show. Kudos there!

    Kerry Russell is great as Elizabeth - I think it interesting how often she wears her hair loose but to one side. I almost find it distracting... maybe because it's hella-sexy and I'd love to be able to pull it off so casually as she does!

    One point I wanted to clarify... In episode #6, "Trust Me" (the episode where Elizabeth and Phillip are "kidnapped" and their kids are hitchhiking home)... that day was a Sunday so it's not as if Elizabeth didn't pick up the kids at school. The kids were at the mall - the exterior shots are of the mall, not a school, and Paige has mall shopping bags, not a backpack or books. We know it's a Sunday because when Phillip (in blonde wig disguise) is at the phone booth and calls Martha saying he'd like to come over for coffee, she tells him she has to go to work. Phillip questions why she's going in on a Sunday and she says her (new) boss is trying his best to wreck/ruin her (new) filing system... apparently along with her weekend... so she needs to go in and fix things. Also when Agent Gaad (Richard Thomas - yay!!) kinda apologizes to Stan Beeman for calling him into work, Stan lies saying it's no big deal as he was coming into the city anyway on Sunday. I wanted to clarify this because up-thread someone made mention of how after getting away from Claudia's "interrogation", Phillip/Elizabeth didn't seem to give any care/concern to the well-being of their kids and/or their getting home from school.

    I find it amazing how well Elizabeth and Phillip lead, at a minimum, double lives! They're a married couple taking care of their kids and owning a travel agency... and they are deeply embedded Russian spies (and in that role they take on a variety of other characters/costumes/disguises/lives.

    LOVE the show - so glad it's been renewed for a second season!!!

    Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

  7. #67
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    I agree that it's a great show. It's now one of my top 2 new shows, along with Monday Mornings on TNT.

    REf. upthead where it was discussed that Stan could get in trouble sleeping with the informant, I now have second thoughts. Just specualtion, but now that Elizabeth and Philip know that Stan has marital trouble, it would not be too difficult to follow him. If they catch him with Nina, well he's toast. They could go through some other spies, since they wouldn't want to let on they are spies, but the other spies could blackmail Stan. They could say, we know about your affair with Nina, and it's going to ruin your career, unless you do, A,B, C, etc. That would be a difficult decision. I hate to think what decision Stan might make. To lose face with his family would be horrible for him.

  8. #68
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    After having watched the S1 premier/pilot episode (which I LOVED!) I went on holiday for 5+ weeks and had six episodes of this show to catch up on. A colleague of mine (that I convinced to watch the show based solely on the strength of the pilot) had been watching faithfully while I was gone and said he and his wife were having trouble staying engaged with the show... that after 5 episodes they were feeling very "meh" about it.

    I went ahead and watched the episodes in order (thank you DVR-gods for getting all of them!!) and when I got thru episode 5 couldn't figure out how he could not be as "woohoo" over the show as I was. I think he's KAH-RAY-ZEE and encouraged him to continue. I think my favorite episode was #6 "Trust Me" (where Elizabeth gave Claudia that nice lil beat-down LOL) because it was such a suspenseful episode.

    I love Margo Martindale (Claudia) and will watch her in anything. She breathes life into characters which may perhaps be a little flat on the page, and delivers powerful complex performances.

    Matthew Rhys (Phillip) is so believable in this role and I love seeing the different characters he becomes IN this show. Kudos there!

    Kerry Russell is great as Elizabeth - I think it interesting how often she wears her hair loose but to one side. I almost find it distracting... maybe because it's hella-sexy and I'd love to be able to pull it off so casually as she does!

    One point I wanted to clarify... In episode #6, "Trust Me" (the episode where Elizabeth and Phillip are "kidnapped" and their kids are hitchhiking home)... that day was a Sunday so it's not as if Elizabeth didn't pick up the kids at school. The kids were at the mall - the exterior shots are of the mall, not a school, and Paige has mall shopping bags, not a backpack or books. We know it's a Sunday because when Phillip (in blonde wig disguise) is at the phone booth and calls Martha saying he'd like to come over for coffee, she tells him she has to go to work. Phillip questions why she's going in on a Sunday and she says her (new) boss is trying his best to wreck/ruin her (new) filing system... apparently along with her weekend... so she needs to go in and fix things. Also when Agent Gaad (Richard Thomas - yay!!) kinda apologizes to Stan Beeman for calling him into work, Stan lies saying it's no big deal as he was coming into the city anyway on Sunday. I wanted to clarify this because up-thread someone made mention of how after getting away from Claudia's "interrogation", Phillip/Elizabeth didn't seem to give any care/concern to the well-being of their kids and/or their getting home from school.

    I find it amazing how well Elizabeth and Phillip lead, at a minimum, double lives! They're a married couple taking care of their kids and owning a travel agency... and they are deeply embedded Russian spies (and in that role they take on a variety of other characters/costumes/disguises/lives.

    LOVE the show - so glad it's been renewed for a second season!!!
    That very well could have been me who made the mistake about school vs. mall. ooops!
    I still think it's odd that Phillip asked about his car ... but nobody asked about the kids. Maybe because it was Sunday and they figured the kids were together as well as resourceful and would have gotten a ride with friends? The first question Elizabeth asked them was how they got home ... and now she wants somebody watching out for them. Hmmmm. I still want Phillip and Elizabeth to learn about the duck feeder creep and rearrange his facial features.

    Pardon me ... but I'm with you on the woo-hoo train ... and agree that your colleague must be KAH-RAY-ZEE ... or at best not paying attention.

    By the way ... thank you for filling me in on Richard Thomas' character name ... we keep calling him "John-Boy"
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  9. #69
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree that it's a great show. It's now one of my top 2 new shows, along with Monday Mornings on TNT.

    REf. upthead where it was discussed that Stan could get in trouble sleeping with the informant, I now have second thoughts. Just specualtion, but now that Elizabeth and Philip know that Stan has marital trouble, it would not be too difficult to follow him. If they catch him with Nina, well he's toast. They could go through some other spies, since they wouldn't want to let on they are spies, but the other spies could blackmail Stan. They could say, we know about your affair with Nina, and it's going to ruin your career, unless you do, A,B, C, etc. That would be a difficult decision. I hate to think what decision Stan might make. To lose face with his family would be horrible for him.
    Depending on what Nina's status is with the KGB ... SHE could be toast!

    This is why ... although I am told she is a very popular character ... she may not be around too long.

    On the other hand ... they could both be double agents
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #70
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: The Americans (FX)

    Quick question, did they send that lady with the baby to Russia? My feed cut out in the last 5 minutes and I didn't see what finally happened to her.

    Love this show, so glad to have something new to watch that I'm actually excited about!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.