+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Robert Hanssen was not Russian. He was born/raised in the Norwood Park area of Chicago, IL.

It actually might be interesting to add in more stories about American born traitors. They have already had a few.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say he was Russian. I meant to say that he was a spy who turned over information to the Russians. He was trusted for a long time and it was shocking when he was discovered. I think it would be interesting if they include something about him in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say he was Russian. I meant to say that he was a spy who turned over information to the Russians. He was trusted for a long time and it was shocking when he was discovered. I think it would be interesting if they include something about him in this series.
    Oh ... you mean him specifically. I get it.

As info, as I understand it he wasn't "turned" by anyone, but actually volunteered his services!

My family is from that area so it's kind of personal.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Oh ... you mean him specifically. I get it.

As info, as I understand it he wasn't "turned" by anyone, but actually volunteered his services!

My family is from that area so it's kind of personal.
    OH my. I had no idea. I found the story and movie fascinating. In the movie, they seemed to paint him as a long time employee, who never got his due credit. He resented that and that was one reason he gave secrets to the USSR. AND they also indicated he received a fair amount of money over the years. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

OMG, Keri Russell is SO badass on this show! That scene where she put the beat down on Claudia was a jaw-dropper. Amazing. Who knew she had it in her?

Apparently, Elizabeth and Phillip passed on some of their savvy to their kids. That little bit at the duck pond was really creepy and could have gone SO wrong. Yay for Henry that he was thinking on his feet!
    Coco46 and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, Elizabeth is tough as nails. They trained her well. And it's funny, you never see her working out or eating lots of health food. lol I like her character a lot.

I'm a little conflicted about the episode last night. I still love the show, but it did cause me to stretch my mind a bit. A few things were kind of difficult to swallow.

Philip is a higly trained spy and always cautious, but he doesn't notice that a van and 6 men are standing outside his phone booth? Come on? lol Okay, so I swallow that one.

Then we have this huge test for Philip and Eliazabeth, who are the ones who got the code, but no real investigation into the Embassy. Why? This guy with the tea is suspicious enough of the secretary to have her followed one week, but the next week, after they know they have a mole, he is totally blind to her sneaky behavior and sudden interest in him. What? And are the Russians so sstupid that that they think the tea guy would be a mole, but that the FBI would repeatedly call him at his job and leave messages? It's just difficult to believe they would be that easily fooled.

I hope things even out a little.

Oh, I was rather amused that Philip and Elizabeth didn't seem the least bit concerned about kids. Philip asked where his car was, but not the kids. How did they know they didn't have their kids? Even on the sidewalk, they argued, but no concern about the kids whereabouts. Odd, IMO. It's good the kids know how to look out for themselves.

Do you think that Philip is sleeping with that FBI employee or just kissing on her.

Then we have this huge test for Philip and Eliazabeth, who are the ones who got the code, but no real investigation into the Embassy. Why? This guy with the tea is suspicious enough of the secretary to have her followed one week, but the next week, after they know they have a mole, he is totally blind to her sneaky behavior and sudden interest in him. What? And are the Russians so sstupid that that they think the tea guy would be a mole, but that the FBI would repeatedly call him at his job and leave messages? It's just difficult to believe they would be that easily fooled.
    We don't know if he had continued to look into her or not. It wouldn't matter though once he'd been set up. No one would believe him. We don't know that this is the end of the investigation since he only just got "caught."
    Oh, I was rather amused that Philip and Elizabeth didn't seem the least bit concerned about kids. Philip asked where his car was, but not the kids. How did they know they didn't have their kids? Even on the sidewalk, they argued, but no concern about the kids whereabouts. Odd, IMO. It's good the kids know how to look out for themselves.
    I figured that once they knew it was the KGB and not the FBI, they knew the kids were fine.

I guess I just don't get hung up on the little details. All TV shows require the willing suspension of disbelief. I'm not going to let little things prevent me from enjoying a show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I remember thinking in the back of my mind from the first that it was the KGB. Becaue if the FBI had gotten them, it would pretty much be the end of the show.

Then I was figuring that they would tell the kids that they had been in a wreck, and just as I started to wonder how they would explain a wreck with no wrecked car, he crashes into the tree.

I still love this show to the point of obsession!!!

I like it too. It's probably my favorite show right now, even over Scandal and Nashville!

This how is outstanding. There are a lot of things that are purposely (I think) left for us to fill in the details.

Some responses
    OMG, Keri Russell is SO badass on this show!
    yes she is, Critical. I am a little disturbed that Phillip is upset with her because I think SHE is starting to like it (in the USA) a lot too.

As for the kids Debb70 ... I thought it was fun that the kids walked into a totally dark house, hours after school let out and their Mom didn't pick them up ... and just by the way having survived a dangerous encounter ... and weren't looking or calling for their parents. They are absolutely used to Mom and Dad being out at odd hours and they don't worry. I really just thought that was funny. They just calmly decide to keep it their secret and go wash his wet pants! I was half hoping that Phillip or Elizabeth was going to go out and beat the heck out of the duck feeder creep!
    Last edited by echo226; 03-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Mohandas Gandhi

OH my. I had no idea. I found the story and movie fascinating. In the movie, they seemed to paint him as a long time employee, who never got his due credit. He resented that and that was one reason he gave secrets to the USSR. AND they also indicated he received a fair amount of money over the years. I'm not sure if that's accurate.
    OK ... this ties in a little with Robert Hanssen who was paid in cash and DIAMONDS for information. That's what the Russian enforcers said when they found the diamonds planted in the tea and the camera with photos of file documents in the radiio ... DIAMONDS for information.

They call the tea guy the resident ... but the place where he worked was the Russian Embassy (Residentura) and he is the Ambassador. The FBI originally wanted to get him and his agent ... but last week while he (THE RESIDENT) was waiting on the bridge ... Elizabeth shot his nervous agent. (Remember the guy who had just lost his wife?} The FBI discovered this at about the same time as Stan's mole had to be saved. What they... the FBI ... did was set up the resident and save the girl. Basically, the FBI did get what they wanted in the end. Two birds with one stone.

I hope that makes some sense. And by the way, the Resident was having the secretary/mole followed until she started ... um ... making herself um ... indispensable to him.
    Last edited by echo226; 03-08-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread