+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

When does it come on again?

Wednesday...10/9 central. I am practically counting the minutes. I am loving this show so much it could become an obsession
    Debb70 likes this.

ME Too.

Sorry, but I'm not up on names yet. Do you know the head FBI guy who went into the spies garage and peeked into the trunk? Does he seem really odd to you? There is something so awkward about him. I'm not sure if he's just a dork or what. Is the actor really like that and he is playing himself or is all an act? Do you know what I mean? The guy gives me the creeps.

The FBI agent reminds me slightly of the principal in Ferris Beuller
    Coco46 likes this.

Man, this show is full of surprises. I knew early on that that man's wife was a goner. No way they could let her live. The deceased husband should have known this. Instead of telling his wife to place an ad and trust the people, he should have told her to take off and disappear back in Puerto Ricco if he didn't come home one day. Do you think the couple knew she was going to be killed when they handed her over to the older lady spy? They must have known.

I had to decide last night between this show and Nashville. I was a tiny portion of Nashville, but most all of this one. It's really great, IMO. Love John Boy character too.

Yes, I think they knew she would be killed. I think they tried to help her, but knew it was most likely useless.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm not sure why hubby is so upset with his wife about her lover. He has one. Recall that wild child who hopped into the car with him last week? She was in love with him and wanted them to take off together.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not sure why hubby is so upset with his wife about her lover. He has one. Recall that wild child who hopped into the car with him last week? She was in love with him and wanted them to take off together.
    I think the difference is that Elizabeth got emotionally involved with her lover. not saying either one is right or moral.

Man, this show is full of surprises. I knew early on that that man's wife was a goner. No way they could let her live. The deceased husband should have known this. Instead of telling his wife to place an ad and trust the people, he should have told her to take off and disappear back in Puerto Ricco if he didn't come home one day. Do you think the couple knew she was going to be killed when they handed her over to the older lady spy? They must have known. .
    I am not sure if they both knew. Phillip seems to be the most naive of the two ... but she was solid mission and is now wavering. Also, remember that Phillip threatened to harm Gregory if he hurt her. "Robert" ... was a very good friend of his (Phillip's) ... but Elizabeth made Gregory her confidant .. said he was someone she could talk to ... so she may have known and went along with the idea of turning control over to their handlers.
    They should have known that any liability would be eliminated. The baby's mama became that when she "made them" as spies.
    I think the older lady is being called Granny.

Sorry, but I'm not up on names yet. Do you know the head FBI guy who went into the spies garage and peeked into the trunk? Does he seem really odd to you? There is something so awkward about him. I'm not sure if he's just a dork or what. Is the actor really like that and he is playing himself or is all an act? Do you know what I mean? The guy gives me the creeps.
    I think the FBI agent/neighbor's name is Stan/Stanley.

I think it's just moving the story along and confirming for us that Phillip loves Elizabeth. It also is a sign of the times ... when things were um ... less equal.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I think the wifey was a goner whether she made them as spies or not...the kid was going back to Russia and mama wasn't getting a ticket (she was a liability whether she knew or not).

I think the bigger question is why the hubby would tell her to contact these people instead of just disappearing...these are spies in a cold war, not office mates. So, he went through the same system as Elizabeth (where he would have witnessed the no-nonsense training, brutality, etc...) worked as an active spy and still didn't think that decision through? OF course, then you have to remember that he actually lied to his country and secretly married this woman...he even relocated to any area he was not assigned to! The dynamics of this decision are far more interesting than what they actually covered...

+ Reply to Thread