+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

I love this show! I lived through this time, yet had no real awareness of this type of stealth (apropos!) spying by Soviets. It's such an interesting subject, and though I keep wondering why people from a communist society wouldn't want the freedoms we have, in those days were not all about the avid consumer society we now have become. In those times ideas could often offset materialism for the goal of a more egalitarian society for all. So I can see that Elizabeth and Phillip can stay loyal to their idealism and home country (probably, while so much was clothed in secrecy, they didn't know how many millions of their countrymen were jailed and tortured under the cloak of Communism by Stalin and Khrushchev), while enjoying the freedoms of America. But all of that comes up in this wonderful screenplay! What a good story!

Why do you think Larrick is following Jared? I think it was really unlikely that he would have lost them at the trash can where the backpack was left, but just by looking at a map, he's able to STILL track them to a train station just by chance. Hmmmm...... And the stations were practically deserted with very observant employees with excellent memories. lol

The lady with the truck who picked up Jared is the same one who Elizabeth stayed with recuperating after her injury. Recall she left the cabin one morning and deer ran out in front of her car on the drive leaving the house? I wonder if that is an indication of things to come.

Martha i treading on dangerous ground. She is likely to get caught taking those top secret documents home, she knows Philip is wearing a wig and she's demanding a baby. I wonder if they will take her out or fake Philip's death to get rid of her.

REF. THE SEASON FINALE

I just knew it!!!!!! It was Jared who killed his parents. I didn't guess the reason for it though. I was thinking he killed them because he thought they had been turned and he was defending the mother land or that he was working with Larrick. Never guessed it was because he wanted to be a spy and they wouldn't let him.

My next prediction is that the Pastor at the church is KGB and he has been working on Page. So was the girl who befriended Page on the bus that day. I think the KGB has already got a foot hold on Page. Since Elizabeth wants to tell her the truth, I bet Page will be going to that summer camp, only it's really a KGB camp for teen spies and not a Christian one. lol

Stan really annoyed me. It didn't even seem to bother him that he sent Nina to her death. I hope there was some redemption for Nina and that we haven't seen the last of her. She was a delicious character. I would rather they killed off STan and kept her. lol

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I didn't seem to bother Stan? Couldn't disagree more.
    Punkin and Duckyface like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I was pleased that Stan, even though he had stolen the information about Echo and was obviously conflicted and worried about Nina, in the end could not betray his country.

Is that what 14 year old girls are like, constantly pushing and challenging? Thank God I had 3 boys!
    Marlena_M likes this.

I did laugh out loud last night!!!!!!!! I thought Page's reaction to them forcing the kids to get up in the middle of the night to take a road trip to a rundown motel for one day was priceless! She said she just wanted to get old enough to get to college so she could get out of that insane asylum! lol Henry just didn't get how ridiculous the whole scenario was.
    Punkin and tinderbox like this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I was pleased that Stan, even though he had stolen the information about Echo and was obviously conflicted and worried about Nina, in the end could not betray his country.

Is that what 14 year old girls are like, constantly pushing and challenging? Thank God I had 3 boys!
    Same here, Punkin. No matter his feelings for Nina (and they were very real and very strong) there was a line he could not cross and that line was betraying his country. I liked how he stayed strong on that level.

And as for 14 year old girls, no they're not all that way. Mine was not. I can't even imagine a child behaving that way... especially in the 1980's!
    Punkin likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I love this show! I lived through this time, yet had no real awareness of this type of stealth (apropos!) spying by Soviets. It's such an interesting subject, and though I keep wondering why people from a communist society wouldn't want the freedoms we have, in those days were not all about the avid consumer society we now have become. In those times ideas could often offset materialism for the goal of a more egalitarian society for all. So I can see that Elizabeth and Phillip can stay loyal to their idealism and home country (probably, while so much was clothed in secrecy, they didn't know how many millions of their countrymen were jailed and tortured under the cloak of Communism by Stalin and Khrushchev), while enjoying the freedoms of America. But all of that comes up in this wonderful screenplay! What a good story!
    Not just jailed Punkin, millions were killed, up to 150 million depending on your source, not to mention starving to death and dying of easily preventable illnesses. I think having lived in the US for so long they have completely romanticized what their country is actually like. I'm sure they are also constantly told how wonderful it is. Witness them getting all riled up about 160 sailors killed on the submarine when their own government probably killed that many or more in a week for political dissidence.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 05-22-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

I'm glad that you can appreciate this show in the same way I (and many others) do,Ducky! With all the crap on TV (sitcoms), it is fortunate that people who have bigger ideas and visions can find a way to put these stories on our TV to make us think about our history.
    Duckyface and Debb70 like this.

I would have to say this is my favorite show right now.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread