+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

I find it difficult to believe that Jared could have been turned into a communist after his parents were killed. Even if Kate explained who and what his parents were, I don't think it would be that easy to bring him in. IMO, Jared must have known for years about his parents and already been a communist for him to be into it now.

I think if Kate is appearing to Jared without a disguise, he was turned long before she came into a picture. It could be the parents decided to tell him (and perhaps the daughter) for one reason or another early rather than having Elizabeth deliver a letter after their deaths. Jared perhaps was being groomed to be KGB when he reached adulthood. I think if he were ignorant about his parents, he would be a regular American kid, and during the cold war, it would not have been an easy matter to have them turn to the Soviets for any reason. I think his parents groomed him and maybe even his sister to be communists from their youth.

On another note, I think the Soviets should be a lot more worried that they aren't hearing from George. If he is out of the picture, it seems as though no communication would be getting through. Why aren't they on high alert after not hearing from their people? I thought Phillip and Elizabeth didn't get worried as early as they should have. I also think surely the handlers of the agents would be reporting in from time to time. Why weren't they wondering about Kate?

I hope they get Claudia back as a handler.
    Debb70 likes this.

I agree. It appeared their communication system had no security. What's that all about? There should have been an alarm that secretly signaled someone at the center if their communications guy was found. Plus, there should have been a signal that the guy gave every day to the center that says all is clear. And when they don't get the all clear signal, they know there is a problem in the communications. These are simple measures. IMO, the writers dropped the ball on this one. To have nothing at all for something so vital is incomprehensible.
    Coco46 likes this.

That is a good point. I didn't think of that. Even if George wasn't killed by someone, the FBI potentially could have stumbled on their communications network and try to set up a sting to try to lure some agents out and capture them. They could have planted false info and eventually figure out where everyone lived. George is way too important for them to not care that much about. Realistically they should have had some sort of plan if something went wrong. Not just the measure where George tried to destroy his equipment--we see how well that work. Larrick figured out exactly where Kate was and murdered her. Heck, wiring his house with C4 so that at any time he could detonate the whole basement along with himself or any intruders would have been better than what they had him do.
    Debb70 likes this.

I love this show and appreciate everything about production, writing, and the acting.

It may sound odd but I found myself practically rooting for the Russian characters throughout the first season and the beginning of this season. I was enjoying a weekly television show. I became invested in these characters and their storyline and took it as an opportunity to understand more about the cold war situation, in general.

Well, I've turned a corner. I'm not entirely sure when the switch went off in my head but...it's gone off, big time! My patriotism has truly kicked in!! It's interesting to currently watch the show with a different point of view. In fact, I feel like this is a whole new experience.

I've come to despise Elizabeth!! She has no remorse over the things she does. None.

I know... Sounds kind of weird but that's what I'm feeling.

Oh, I think it's completely natural to root for the characters we are shown the most about. Politics is a strange world and people are just people. I certainly relate to Elizabeth and Philip. The FBI are also cold blooded killers in this drama. Recall how Stan killed Nina's friend. The young man was not a spy and didn't even want to be in America. He was selected by Stan and just executed. So, it goes both ways, IMO. The CIA has killed many innocent people in order to further American interests.

And what about the Iranian- Contra Affair? That was done under the Reagan administration. Did you see Oliver North in the credits of the episode where Liz and Phil go to that secret training base?

I like the way this show mixes it up. I love my country, but I think it's important to see the mistakes that were made throughout history.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh, I think it's completely natural to root for the characters we are shown the most about. Politics is a strange world and people are just people. I certainly relate to Elizabeth and Philip. The FBI are also cold blooded killers in this drama. Recall how Stan killed Nina's friend. The young man was not a spy and didn't even want to be in America. He was selected by Stan and just executed. So, it goes both ways, IMO. The CIA has killed many innocent people in order to further American interests.

And what about the Iranian- Contra Affair? That was done under the Reagan administration. Did you see Oliver North in the credits of the episode where Liz and Phil go to that secret training base?

I like the way this show mixes it up. I love my country, but I think it's important to see the mistakes that were made throughout history.
    I hear you and do not have blinders in place, believe me. There are always two sides to every real life story/situation. American is not now nor has it ever always been the "good guy".

However, within the context of this television show... I've changed my mind about how I feel. I've noticed the writers are making a slight distinction between Elizabeth and her husband now whereas earlier in this series they were portrayed as one and the same. This subtle change in her personality, and my "liking" her less lead me down a different pathway. They're both cold and calculating BUT he feels some regret an she doesn't.

How do you think that Stan feels about what he's doing? He's given Oleg some intel due to being blackmailed to keep Nina safe. Recall that Stan was telling all those people he was interviewing on the Stealth project that nobody ever thinks they will turn on their country. I just wonder how Stan sees himself protecting Nina and coming out of this unscathed. His boss already thinks Stan has gotten in over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    How do you think that Stan feels about what he's doing? He's given Oleg some intel due to being blackmailed to keep Nina safe. Recall that Stan was telling all those people he was interviewing on the Stealth project that nobody ever thinks they will turn on their country. I just wonder how Stan sees himself protecting Nina and coming out of this unscathed. His boss already thinks Stan has gotten in over his head.
    Stan is showing regret and remorse.

Again, my point is that Elizabeth shows none of this. She seems to relish what she does.

Elizabeth was indoctrinated from an early age. She fully believes what she is doing is for the defense and preservation of her country. I do recall that she did not kill that plant employee where she and Philip got those secrets from. Recall she took photos of his kids and threatened him if he told on her, but she was supposed to kill him, since he did see her and Philip and knew what they were doing. It seemed to bother her that he had young kids at home. I do think that she has a soft spot for kids and parents with kids.

+ Reply to Thread