+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

I would take Paige over Dana Brody any day. She will figure out at least something about her parents. Whether she makes the leap to Soviet spies or not, I have no doubts she would run to the FBI agent neighbor across the street about them. I agree they definitely should send her away.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Awww, c'mon, Starbucks880. I don't want either of em! lol Dana, cuz she's so dumb... and Paige cuz I have to continually worry she's gonna DO something so dumb! lol

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Another excellent episode tonight! Anyone else think the girl Paige was talking to on the bus was the KGB cover that Phillip referenced early on in the episode?

Paige at "Aunt Helen's" house... can't even imagine that!

When Stan told Dameran's boss "Call 9-1-1" it took me right out of the moment. I didn't think 9-1-1 was in wide usage back in 1980/1981 (still not 100% sure if it was widely used in Washington DC at that time) because I really do not remember it being a normal thing to tell someone "call 9-1-1" back then. Like I said, it took me out of the moment because I had to pause the DVR and think about it and ask my husband.

Anyway, another excellent episode!!!
    Debb70 likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Good catch Marlena. I didn't notice. I checked and was surprised to see that some states/cities did have it in the late 70's-early 80's, including FL, CA, MN and MO. I didn't see anything about D.C. though. I think they missed that one.

I missed the part you said that Philip was describing. What did he say when describing the undercover girl? I can't replay it right now. When does it say it?

Anyone think they are going to get foiled due to the guy they let live in that plant? He knows they may kill his son, but still. They don't have luck with that. Recall the maid that turned them in, even after her son was almost killed? If he does report them, then it's going to become VERY clear that the couple has resurfaced and that the FBI's belief that the female agent was dead and that the male was returned to Russia is inaccurate. That is really to their disadvantage, because they are working under the radar with no one believing they are still a threat right now.

What do you think Aunt Helen told Paige? Does Aunt Helen have dementia and that explains so much about her? I was expecting Granny to be in that house. I was disappointed. lol

Paige sure is bold. Is she driving now? I didn't think she was old enough. She's old enough to drive, but needs a babysitter? Odd. Recall they called one the other week when they went out on a date. I can't believe she would just take off like she did. In my teens, I would never just take off like that, especially just after getting caught in all those lies. I'm not sure what my parents would have done to me, but I would not want to find out! lol

I did laugh when she told that girl that there always seemed to be something going on in her house! lol

I'm so glad that Elizabeth didn't share any info with the son of the deceased family. Do you think she intended to and then changed her mind or that she knew from the beginning it was too dangerous and would serve no purpose.

I was right about Stan. I thought the Soviets were throwing him a bone with that World Bank guy. They had that all planned.

I don't recall that Phillip described the undercover person. I just remember him saying something about the agency (or whatever Mother Russia is called) assigning like undercover detail to watch/protect. The girl on the bus seemed to out of the blue reach out and initiate conversation with Paige so that is what made me wonder if bus-girl = undercover-watcher.

I grew up in CA during the 70's and 80's as did my DH... he also agreed that even though we might perhaps have had 9-1-1 it wasn't part of our normal daily lives to say "call 9-1-1"... we'd much more likely have said "call the cops" or "call an ambulance". It just took me out of the moment to hear Stan so quickly rattle off "Call 9-1-1"... as soon as he said it I had to pause the DVR because my brain went "huh? not even!"

I think Aunt Helen was feigning dementia in front of Paige... and I think Paige got no info (but right now who knows on either account since the exchange wasn't shown... yet). I do not believe Paige is old enough to drive. Seems the kids only need a babysitter when Phillip and Elizabeth go OUT at night but if they just come home late and it's nighttime, Paige is in charge of Henry (for what that's worth).

I think Elizabeth had every intention of sharing the letter with the son of the deceased agents. She definitely took it with her (they showed her stuffing it in her pocket when she got out of the car) but I think she changed her mind and realized it was a bad idea regardless of the promise she made to a dead woman. No turning back now since she burned it

I'm going to rewatch this again. I had some distractions the first time.

Was the friendly girl on the bus just by chance or on purpose to look after Paige. Hmmmm...
    What I did find odd is how would Paige go to meet this girl. She called the girl and asked to meet. How would Paige get there with no car? Walk at night? The girl on the bus was presumably going away from DC considering she was on the outward bound bus. But, that night, she's back in D.C. like Paige? I guess. I've taken the Metro when visiting in DC before, but it didn't come near my friends house. We had to drive to the station to get on it. Did they even have that in the early 80's in DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    When Stan told Dameran's boss "Call 9-1-1" it took me right out of the moment. I didn't think 9-1-1 was in wide usage back in 1980/1981 (still not 100% sure if it was widely used in Washington DC at that time) because I really do not remember it being a normal thing to tell someone "call 9-1-1" back then. Like I said, it took me out of the moment because I had to pause the DVR and think about it and ask my husband.

Anyway, another excellent episode!!!
    First 9-1-1 call was in 1968, but it wasn't widespread in the time. So technically it's historically correct, but they'd been better saying "Call emergency/the police/etc." to keep it generalized and a little more accurate.

Come to think of it, it wasn't that well known because "The Greatest American Hero" - admittedly the easiest show I can remember back then - which filmed in 1981, had a couple of episodes where Ralph had someone "Call an Ambulance" or dialed the Operator saying there was a medical emergency and to call the paramedics.

Given how hip for the time Ralph was supposed to be (a popular school teacher), and given how shows such as "Emergency!" taught the public how to call in the event of an emergency, I think he'd used 9-1-1 if it were widely used to get people to go "OK, I need to call 9-1-1 for an ambulance/police/fire."

As far as this show, I love how they're changing it a bit to show the dangers that they're facing are now possibly going to impact the kids, making them have to think twice about their mission and if it or their family is more important.

And I had the absolute CREEPS when Paige went to the house to see "Aunt Helen" - I truly thought she'd end up seeing a dead aunt and not what happened.

Another great episode, and I can't wait to see the next one considering how it ended. Phillip needs to answer the phone when Martha calls! That application for federal employment will blow his cover. I am currently a federal employee and let me tell you they do a very thorough background check when you are going through the hiring process. They will definitely figure out that Phillip's alternate identity does not match a real person (unless they have a random Soviet spy like they did for "Aunt Helen" that is willing to pretend for him). As for Paige, they need to keep a better eye on her regardless what Mother Russia wants them to do. Also, she is getting to be a mouthy little snot. If I acted like that my mother would have done her way of backhanding that really stung.

Yeah, how does Paige just go out without them knowing? Isn't she 14 or 15? She wouldn't be able to drive alone. With a permit at that time, you had to drive with a licensed driver. How could she have walked? It's not like they live near the city. It doesn't make sense to me. Like when she came in the door at night and they had no idea where she had been. She said with a girlfriend. Well, how did she get there and how did she get back? That seems like a good thing for parents to ask. lol

Martha trying to reach Philip was a good example of why we need cell phones! lol If he doesn't get back with Martha before she turns in that application, then I bet Martha will have to die or quit her job. I suppose she could withdraw her application, but it may raise suspicions. Why was Philip so mean to her that morning? Was he trying to pick a fight so he could stay away from her? Was he just missing his wife? Or was it her that Philip thought Stan was having an affair with? Recall Stan told him the woman he was having an affair with worked with him and was married. But, Stan shouldn't know Martha is married, right? I'm confused!

I really wish that Elizabeth and Philip would think their jobs out better and plan for the unexpected. I'm not sure how they were overcome at their car. Philip and Elizabeth were loading the man into their trunk. Philip was facing Elizabeth, so how was a person able to sneak up behind Elizabeth without Philip seeing them? He could have least warned her. Made no sense to me. The same thing happened when Philip was grabbed at the pay phone once. It like the person was there instantly. There is no way he couldn't have seen the person approaching him.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    First 9-1-1 call was in 1968, but it wasn't widespread in the time. So technically it's historically correct, but they'd been better saying "Call emergency/the police/etc." to keep it generalized and a little more accurate.

Come to think of it, it wasn't that well known because "The Greatest American Hero" - admittedly the easiest show I can remember back then - which filmed in 1981, had a couple of episodes where Ralph had someone "Call an Ambulance" or dialed the Operator saying there was a medical emergency and to call the paramedics.

Given how hip for the time Ralph was supposed to be (a popular school teacher), and given how shows such as "Emergency!" taught the public how to call in the event of an emergency, I think he'd used 9-1-1 if it were widely used to get people to go "OK, I need to call 9-1-1 for an ambulance/police/fire."
    911 was fairly wide spread by 1980... Where I lived in CT we had as early as 78. I remember moving into a house that year and having the stickers on all the phones. William Shatner's show Emergency 9-1-1 was only a few years from then... Probably 84 or 85?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

+ Reply to Thread