+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    ...along with hair, make-up, costumes, and set decoration. Soooo perfectly 70s!!

It's the early 80's. Last season one episode was about the Reagan assassination attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    It's the early 80's. Last season one episode was about the Reagan assassination attempt
    Late 70s - Early 80's. Those styles are alike to me. However, my memory could be dimming.
    Punkin likes this.

I thought the first episode this season was awesome! I LOVE this show. The hour just flies by.

Last season did have the attempted assassination of Reagan. I recall that Elizabeth pretended to be so upset and asked is he okay? lol

I have a question about the 6-8 weeks that Elizabeth was away after her gunshot. Philip is the only parent. He had to be there every night for them. How did he explain being away EVERY night to Martha, to whom he's now married?

Who do you think shot that family in their hotel room? I wonder if the woman who got transferred had anything to do with it? She's still around and had recently seen that couple who was killed. Maybe she got orders to take them out or maybe she thought they had been turned.

I realize the daughter may be curious about her parents' whereabouts, but she needs to stay away from their bedroom door. Even after what happened, in the last scene she' BACK at their door. That's creepy, IMO. She should just check the garage to see if the car is there.

FORT Fanatic

Just discovered this series and have been binge watching. Now on epi 5 of first season. At the very beginning of epi 1, the Wife was seducing a politician-ish and tape [sound] recording it. However, I don't think we see the guy again or the tape being used. Then in epi 2 or 3 the Husband is having sexual relations with a blond who photographs Casper's office [they see the clock]. Then she calls an emergency meeting with Hubby where she suddenly gets out of his car. Unsure what that was about. And then NO more storyline.

Are these people/story lines going to pan out or were they just there to show that both of them will easily use sex to get what they want/info.
    Thanks.
    Punkin likes this.

Yup. Pretty much they use sex for their spying. It gets worse. But it's a great series. Glad you found it!!

Babyfat101, I'm trying to recall what you are describing above. It'll take me a little time, but yes to your question. Elizabeth and Philip both have sex with anyone if necessary for their intelligence work. It's a job to them and that's it. It doesn't seem to bother them either. In this last episode Elizabeth is having sex with this computer guy they intend to pump info from. Her husband bursts right through the door. (It was a setup to gain his trust.) Plus, Philip regularly has sex with Martha, his plant in the FBI office.

I read some recaps on those episodes and recall some of it. The part about the photos was important, because the couple wants to plant a bug in some device in that government guy's office. I think his office is in his home. Anyway, the girl that was bribed was to secretly take photos inside the American government man's office, so they can locate a place to install their secret bug. That is vital and turns out to be a huge part of that season. I won't say more.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.

It is very good this season so far. I wonder who killed the family and whether they know about Phillip and Elizabeth. I was a bit worried when Martha said she was feeling ill. I hope they aren't going to make her pregnant. They are going to have to watch out for Paige. That girl will figure them out if they aren't careful.

It may be time to send Paige to boarding school. lol Even if she did find out some things they are lying about, I'm not sure she would make the jump to them beng Soviet spies. I would suspect them of being criminals or tax evaders or something like that before I would think spy. Maybe they already have a story planned in case they have to tell her something, like they were in the Anti-war movement and someone got killed and they are still wanted by the FBI, so they changed their identities. That would make sense and keep her from spilling the beans.

I don't think they should trust Paige. She's not of the frame of mind to protect Mother Russia at all costs. She would become a huge liability or even force them to go under. With such a loose cannon, Russia would have no problem taking her out. Her parents have to know that.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I dislike Paige immensely. Have from the beginning and it just grows each episode. Other than that, I'm still loving this show

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Some are comparing her to Dana Brody from Homeland, although she's not as obnoxious or spoiled. I would prefer that she not be a central part of the show. They have to do something with her at this point. It's unlikely they will kill her off. So, it's limited to boarding school or studying abroad.

When Paige picked up that post card there was a date on it. I think it said 1981 or 1982. Reagan was almost assassinated in March of 1981, so this fits in.

+ Reply to Thread