+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think this show is better than Homeland, (Showtime). Everything about it is better, IMO and I have watchd Homeland since day one. Too bad that it may be ignored since it's on FX. It needs promoting. If people see it, they'll love it. Homeland is wAAAY overrated, IMO.

The opening songs and videos for both shows are quite similar though.
    Sorry, I love The Americans, but I completely disagree with you here. Homeland - especially the first season - is right up there with the best shows ever on TV. Better writing, better acting. The only show on FX that's wrongly ignored by Emmy voters is Sons of Anarchy and that's because of the violence. Back in the day, AMC was a rinky dink network, but Mad Men got the attention of critics. When a show is great, it doesn't matter what network it's on. Like I said, I do love this show, but it's not on the level of MM or Homeland or even SOA....and the critical response bears that out.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I agree, Critical... when it comes award nomination time, it matters naught what network a show airs on. Boss aired on Starz and Kelsey Grammar was nominated, and won a Golden Globe award, for Best Actor - Television Series Drama. The series itself was nominated for Best Drama but lost to Homeland (on Showtime). As much as I love The Americans (and I do, I truly do) it's not on par with Homeland. Just my two cents.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Homeland. It's full of problems, IMO and the acting is way overrated. (Though it was my favorite show their first season. Second season really dropped.) They were so lucky to get their awards, expecially for acting, IMO. Breaking Bad was robbed, IMO with almost every category. To me, the only show that compares in quality with The Americans is Breaking Bad.

Mad Men, another former great show, also went downhill. I will say that they deserved the Emmy's they got. My opinions, of course.

Great finale episode! Really looking forward to next season.

It only makes sense that the kids begin to be involved in more storylines. The daughter is getting older and wiser and the son isn't far behind. I mean, really! How long can these parents keep their secret lives from their kids? It's not like they're a couple of toddlers. (I always thought the "children" aspect of the show was the most unbelievable.)

I was not watching Homeland from the beginning (maybe didn't have HBO?) but caught up and watched all of seasons 1 and 2 and thought it was terrific.

I watched The Americans from the beginning and have loved it and still do.

I think comparing them is apples and oranges. Homeland is a more current setting. The Americans is set somewhat in the past, but a time frame that many of us remember and/or can relate to.

As for the acting ... Mandy Patinkin somehow feels wrong on Homeland and I don't care much about the characters.

The actors on The Americans somehow feel right to me and I care about most of the characters. (oddly)

So .... if I could only watch one of the two shows ... I would choose The Ameicans.
    Coco46 and Debb70 like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

What I find so sad is that we have to wait so long for the new episodes.

I really miss this show.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

So happy to see my girl Margo Martindale get nominated for a Primetime Emmy award for her portrayal of Claudia. Yay!!!
    Debb70 likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Yeah, but the show was robbed, IMO. They deserved to be nominated for best drama. Even if they had to leave Mad Men out. It's true, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, but the show was robbed, IMO. They deserved to be nominated for best drama. Even if they had to leave Mad Men out. It's true, IMO.
    Well, everyone has their opinion... it comes down to who votes and how they vote. I'm glad the show was recognized in any way at all

+ Reply to Thread