+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

Re: The Americans (FX)

I remember as a kid around this time being taught to "duck and cover" under our desks at school because the US feared a Russian nuclear attack. I think this was partly due to being on the west coast where an attack was thought to be most likely, but there was a lot of fear. Communism was spreading and was taking over other countries, thus Russia becoming the Soviet Union, Korea, Vietnam, etc. I think each side feared the other and wanted to blunt their influence in the world. It's also quite possible, knowing what we know now having seen the KGB files, that the USSR hoped to eventually take over the USA. They had a lot of agents here, and quite a few highly placed ones, although most were turned Americans not trained Soviets.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been re-watching (binge watching) Alias and I just watched an episode where Sydney and Vaughn go to Russia and are trained to be Americans. They live in this high-security compound that looks just like a regular neighborhood (or one in Desperate Housewives!) with other Russians hoping to be placed in America as spies. Obviously, it totally made me think of this show. I wonder what kind of training these people really went through.
    There is a good book called "Charm School" (fiction) by, I believe, Nelson DeMille (someone correct me if I am wrong) precisely about this subject matter. Russians are taught to be total Americans in a pretend US neighborhood so that they can infiltrate this country without our knowledge. Good read.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I read Charm School many years ago and liked it. I enjoy DeMille, but that one went a little off the rails with the whole Stalin thing....unless I'm misremembering the plot.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Last night's episode was a little disturbing to me. For most of the episode, I thought that Elizabeth was going to make a huge mistake and kill this guy that her bosses did not want her to kill. I'm not sure why she has started thinking that she can disobey orders and just do what she wants. Recall she disobeyed orders with regard to Gregory and placed herself and Philip in danger. What if he had not been killed and was taken into custody and interrogated?

I'm glad she figured out that the old lady is out to get her. Why do you think she is?

Anyway, now there is a top level government guy who knows what she looks like. That wig and glasses can only cover so much. They didn't show how much he saw or heard of Philip, so he's probably safe, but with Elizabeth, it's only a matter of time. That guy will have to be killed now to prevent him from ever indentifying her. Such a stupid thing to do. What's wrong with her. I know she loved that murdered Russian general like a father, but her actions were so foolish.

Either the Russians at the embassy are really stupid or they are setting Nina up to test her. If she reveals the bug device, then they will know it was her who gave it up. I hope she holds on to the info a little longer. I think she knows she is caught in a trap and Stan is not going to save her.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I read Charm School many years ago and liked it. I enjoy DeMille, but that one went a little off the rails with the whole Stalin thing....unless I'm misremembering the plot.
    I read that book & t was a good one.

OMG! I'm still reeling from last night's episode. So many things packed into one show! Philip and Martha MARRY! How did they pull that one off? We discover that Philip and Elizabeth never did marry. Really? Do they have a marriage license? What about the kids' birth certificates? So many questions. Then we have the maid turning herself in about the listening device in the clock! Martha puts a bug in her boss's office for Philip! AND the biggest thing is Nina confesses she's the mole! I'm speechless.

How does Nina know Stan killed her friend? I didn't see guilt in his eyes. How did she? Will Nina now set Stan up? How will she redeem herself as she put it? I just knew there was a listening device in that pin the put on Nina when she took that oath. I guess not.

What will Philip do with Martha? He can't play this role forever. Will he fake his death?

What about that composite drawing of them? I don't think it's good enough to catch them, but it could jog Stan's memory of them having a car like the one who killed that Russian defector in the first episode. Recall he checked out their car, but found nothing.

Kao

Martha seems...extremely thirsty. How long has she been dating Philip, a couple of months? And now they are MARRIED? How is that even going to work? And how awkward for Elizabeth, going to the wedding as his sister.

The shocker, of course, was Nina telling her boss that she was the mole. I think she's going to start feeding him false information now while pumping him for intel.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Wow what an ending! I didn't expect Martha & Clark to tie the knot so soon. She fell hard and she fell fast... I'm sure because of her history of being involved with such (in her mind) bad apples, she finally finds one that sounds too good to be true and she doesn't realize it IS too good to be true. Married? MARRIED!!!?!?!?! Oy! But I loved seeing Claudia as Clark's mom bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

The shocker was Nina confessing she's the mole!!!

And of course, next week is the Season Finale. I'm not ready for this season to end - but I'm already eager for S2
    football_chick likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I was a person who, after watching the pilot episode, decided not to continue with the show. Well, I gave it a second look and haven't missed an episode. This is one of the best shows on tv. I'm thoroughly enjoying the twists and turns of the storylines and think the acting is great. Sad that next week is the finale of the season.

That said, am I the only viewer who doesn't like the character Elizabeth?? I realize she's multilayered and a bit mysterious but she rubs me the wrong way. She grates on me! Just sayin'.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Elizabeth does come off as very cold - especially toward Phillip. I didn't realize they were never really married until this week's episode where we see Clark & Martha marry. I liked when Elizabeth asked Phillip if he thought things would be different between them if they'd ever actually taken those vows. There is so much between them that goes unsaid. Like last week when she was ready for him to move back home... but she hadn't said that to him... and then she realizes he's moving to an apartment which signals a much more permanent arrangement in her mind than his staying at a motel. Rightly or wrongly, she's really been hurt by the things he's done - though I feel like much of what he's done has been in reaction/response to her.

I think Keri Russell does a great job portraying the different layers of Elizabeth. Good casting IMO. I also think Matthew Rhys does a fantastic job playing Phillip. I did not know until just now that Rhys is a Welsh actor. I googled him to spell the surname correctly and discovered it. I've only before seen him on Brothers & Sisters so I (wrongly) assumed he's American. Interesting! LOL!

ETA: Link to Paley Center interview (from 2007) with Matthew Rhys in his native accent. Click Here.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread