+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: The Americans (FX)

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: The Americans (FX)

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Civil rights guy/KGB supporter was Gregory. I don't think the link was Phillip's fault because Gregory was Elizabeth's recruit/agent/lover ... and it would have been Elizabeth who insured he was trained to look for breadcrumbs. Also .... Gregory's people certainly gave him up quickly. Sad to see him go out like a soldier ... but let's not forget that he was also a traitor, but didn't want to leave America.

I agree that it's boring with P & E apart, but I believe they are going for some insight into what it must have really been like for these KGB agents. I wonder iof there are any defectors acting as consultants.

I was surprised that P & E let Gregory walk out. But Phillip did because Elizabeth pleaded. He did that for her.
    It also proved that Gregory was correct that Elizabeth is getting soft.

There is just so much to this show and I am surprised there is not more interest here.

The safe house offer to Phillip is a good idea, but I don't think Stan could do that. And great observation about the conversation regarding secrets.

I think the best thing of the night was when Stan knocked on the motel room door and said "open up ... FBI" Too funny!
    I love this show... LOVE it... beyond words. I can't believe just how dayum good it is!!!!! The level of suspense was outta this world. It wasn't overt... not at all in your face or clubbing you over the head with it. No, this was brimming just below the surface. I had no idea in which direction things were gonna go next.

Three people... all dead... and all connected... to P&E.
    1) Phillip killed Chris Amador unintentionally. Amador got in his face over something really minor that ended in his death - it wasn't because he was FBI... it was because Amador used his FBI cred to play heavy with Phillip and Phillip outmanned/outplayed/out-fought Amador.
    2) To avenge Amador's disappearance (and later, death), Stan incorrectly, but intentionally, kills Vlad. Vlad really had nothing at all to do with Stan's partner's disappearance (and later, death) but that didn't matter to Stan at all. He was out for blood and wanted someone to pay. Vlad was a convenient target because, in Stan's mind, he's Russian so of course he's involved. Had nothing ever happened to Chris Amador in the first place, Stan wouldn't have had a disappearance/death to avenge and Vlad would still be alive.
    3) Gregory chose to go out on his own terms. It was a member of his crew that got fingered for bringing in the car for crushing / pawning the ring that Amador always wore. Gregory knew there'd ultimately be a price to pay for his traitorous ways and while he was loyal to the very end, he paid the ultimate price for getting involved with Elizabeth and agreeing to be a recruit.

Three people dead... and all connected to Phillip & Elizabeth.

At the end, it was so heartbreaking hearing that beautiful, slow, haunting rendition of To Love Somebody. Incredible choice of music and a great way to conclude the episode with a powerful montage of images/scenes.

I usually delete each episode after watching but this one? This one was a keeper!
    Last edited by Marlena_M; 04-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

As said ... I plan to watch ithis episode again. I usually pick up something I missed.

The concept/premise of this show is brilliant ... and I think the writing just incredible. There is also something about the way it is shot/filmed.
    I am no student of film technique, but there is just something that takes me to that time!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I found it a little funny though when I saw that scene of Elizabeth and Gregory in the car when it was raining. The windshield was missing from the car. All the other windows had water beaded up on them, but the front windshield was completely gone. lol

I would like to see a little more detail of how they got Philip and Elizabeth into the country and set up their fake id's.

I've been re-watching (binge watching) Alias and I just watched an episode where Sydney and Vaughn go to Russia and are trained to be Americans. They live in this high-security compound that looks just like a regular neighborhood (or one in Desperate Housewives!) with other Russians hoping to be placed in America as spies.

Obviously, it totally made me think of this show. I wonder what kind of training these people really went through.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think the process would be very interesting. We know they learn to lose their accent and to use American slang, mannerisms, etc. They fake their patrotism to the US so automatically. We know that Elizabeth had extensive martial arts training. They touched on that and we have seen how she can fight and move. Philip is supposed to be a master of disguise, but I think he should go back and have some refresher courses in detection and surveillence. He doesn't seem to know when strangers are approaching him.

They have to file taxes, so I wonder how they actually get more work done. They have employees right? I would think their employees find them very suspicious.

I would be terrified the KGB would kill me once I had performed years of service. What do they have to gain by allowing these Americans to come back to Russia? I guess they could train others, but, still, I would be nervous.

In the Alias episode, they were all practicing with each other and learning various "Americanisms." At one point, one of the women handed Sydney a casserole and she said something like "You might later want the recipe." Russian grammar there. Everyone froze and she corrected herself with "You might want the recipe later." If anyone's interested, the episode is called "Welcome to Liberty Village" from season 4. It was more "slam-bang-insert-big-explosion" than this show is, but it's still fun.

One of the things that I love about this show is that they don't hit you over the head with the fact that it's a period piece. Of course, then someone looks for a pay phone or dials a rotary phone and I remember, but I think the show feels very contemporary in a lot of ways.

I liked Gregory. I think the fact that we root for the "bad guys" on this show. is because once you get to know someone as a person, it's harder to demonize them. I don't know though, it could also be like how we all rooted for the criminals in those long car chases on CHiPs all those years ago! Considering how Stan is behaving, it makes the line between good and bad a little less concrete.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Very true, Critical. They really humanize the "bad guys"... we get to know them and it feels very different than just telling us "this person is bad, don't like him". Kind of like how on Sons of Anarchy, I know the Sons are serious badd-azzes but I love em just the same!

And there really are no "good" adult main characters on the show. Stan, Agent Gaad, Phillip, Elizabeth, Claudia, Gregory... they're multi-dimensional and depending on who "you" are, you see their actions in a certain way.

Love this show - hope it lasts a good long while

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Very true, Critical. They really humanize the "bad guys"... we get to know them and it feels very different than just telling us "this person is bad, don't like him". Kind of like how on Sons of Anarchy, I know the Sons are serious badd-azzes but I love em just the same!

And there really are no "good" adult main characters on the show. Stan, Agent Gaad, Phillip, Elizabeth, Claudia, Gregory... they're multi-dimensional and depending on who "you" are, you see their actions in a certain way.

Love this show - hope it lasts a good long while
    I believe it has been renewed for a second season.

Mohandas Gandhi

I remember how Communism was so feared and hated in the 70's and 80's. Some religious groups were obsessed with The Soviet Union taking over our country. I recall it vividly. It seems odd to think of it now. Does anyone know what Elizabeth and Philp are fighting for? Do they believe the USA is going to destroy their country or take it over? Do they think we will use the bomb on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I remember how Communism was so feared and hated in the 70's and 80's. Some religious groups were obsessed with The Soviet Union taking over our country. I recall it vividly. It seems odd to think of it now. Does anyone know what Elizabeth and Philp are fighting for? Do they believe the USA is going to destroy their country or take it over? Do they think we will use the bomb on them?
    This is set in 1980-81 and at that time the Soviets thought the USA was preparing to launch a surprise nuclear attack against the USSR and its allies.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread