+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: The Following

Re: The Following

Interesting theory of the FBI lady being part of Joe's followers.
    She was not the lead FBI person originally and came on the scene as a "replacement". She is also the one whose parents are cultists and she left?
    She also stood outside that warehouse at the ship yard and didn't back up Ryan and let them get away.
    At first I thought it was Westin, but I could buy her being a follower. ( I think her name is Parker?)

That kill scene with the guy who was the follower of Claire and Joe was creepy and sick. It was almost as though both of them were climaxing. Very disturbing
    I absolutely agree and think it was made to tie into something sexual. The scene when Joe was "teaching" Roderick with the girl on the table ... he absolutely set it up as foreplay and consummation. He did similar with Charlie (Claire's follower). Also they all find killing a turn on ... or as Joe said ... a rush.

I am not sure I can continue watching this series. At this point, Kevin Spacey is the only draw for me.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    She was not the lead FBI person originally and came on the scene as a "replacement". She is also the one whose parents are cultists and she left?
    She also stood outside that warehouse at the ship yard and didn't back up Ryan and let them get away.
    At first I thought it was Westin, but I could buy her being a follower. ( I think her name is Parker?)

I absolutely agree and think it was made to tie into something sexual. The scene when Joe was "teaching" Roderick with the girl on the table ... he absolutely set it up as foreplay and consummation. He did similar with Charlie (Claire's follower). Also they all find killing a turn on ... or as Joe said ... a rush.

I am not sure I can continue watching this series. At this point, Kevin Spacey is the only draw for me.
    Must not be much of a draw at all. Now, if you had said Kevin Bacon, that I would understand.

I have to admit, this show is beginning to be just to weird for me, I am on the fence of giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    My first comment in this thread, but I got into this show because my son recommended it to me and I do like it. I guess it is not for everyone, but so far so good. I have not watched this week yet, but I wonder if this show will not be like the show last year called Missing with Ashley Judd. It was only on for one season/year and had that same sense that when the son was found what else could they do? I know it ended with a possibility of the the mom then going missing and I am guessing that was just in case it was renewed.

Interesting theory of the FBI lady being part of Joe's followers. She started off on ATWT as Julia and was married to Jack and then all at once did "crazy". Everything I have seen her in since then she has played that type of part and I must say she does a great job of it. If that comes to pass I would not be surprised and have wondered myself since I first saw her come on the scene.
    I have thought there was something hinky about her from the beginning. If you remember back to the first episode she was on, she gave Joe Carroll a book while he was still in prison and there was a look that passed between them. I would not be surprised if it was her. It wouldn't necessarily have to be her as a groupie, perhaps it is the situation the lawyer was in and also the warden and she is being threatened in some way. It could also be a good reason why the FBI has been so incompetent.

I still think she is a red herring.

It's the lead FBI guy who is coming across as power-hungry and incompetent. He doesn't want to accept Hardy as valuable contributor and a member of the team which is why Hardy had to go after Westin on his own and Parker had to practically beg for authorization (though I doubt lack thereof would have deterred Hardy).

I thought the "everyone's having sexy times in the cult house" was almost creepier than the death scene. Or perhaps a denouement to the sexual nature of that scene.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Must not be much of a draw at all. Now, if you had said Kevin Bacon, that I would understand.

I have to admit, this show is beginning to be just to weird for me, I am on the fence of giving up.
    Me too. I turned it off this week when it got to the scene with the girl strapped to the table. I just don't need that in my head. I think the issue for me with this show isn't the violence - I mean, I happily watch The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones because those shows are telling interesting stories with great characters - it's the feeling that the violence is just for shock value. It feels like a teenager trying to be provocative for effect, but there's no substance there. The story and character development are taking a back seat. I just don't find that interesting.

I started watching the show and just dealt with the over-the-top violence because I'm a fan of both Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, but I don't know that my admiration of those actors is enough for me to keep watching. At this point, it's starting to feel like those movies that are all special effects and nothing else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So what was the purpose of Charlie wanting to die?
    He didn't do anything wrong in the latest assignment. He fought with Westin and basically won, I know Westin didn't tell them where Claire was but Charlie did his part. Roderick did the questioning and didn't get the answer. So why did Charlie come back to the mansion and want Joe to kill him. I didn't understand that whole part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    So what was the purpose of Charlie wanting to die?
    He didn't do anything wrong in the latest assignment. He fought with Westin and basically won, I know Westin didn't tell them where Claire was but Charlie did his part. Roderick did the questioning and didn't get the answer. So why did Charlie come back to the mansion and want Joe to kill him. I didn't understand that whole part of this.
    Because the writers needed a creepy and disturbing scene to underscore the depth of Joe's power and control and evil. Showing Joe orgasmically killing Charlie and Charlie orgasmically dying in Joe's arms as a gift and penance for failing to get Claire back pretty much did the trick.
    waywyrd and Duckyface like this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post

I can't believe I keep doing that kind of thing. Kevin Bacon is the draw ... I'm the one who is spacy.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Me too. I turned it off this week when it got to the scene with the girl strapped to the table. I just don't need that in my head. I think the issue for me with this show isn't the violence - I mean, I happily watch The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones because those shows are telling interesting stories with great characters - it's the feeling that the violence is just for shock value. It feels like a teenager trying to be provocative for effect, but there's no substance there. The story and character development are taking a back seat. I just don't find that interesting.

I started watching the show and just dealt with the over-the-top violence because I'm a fan of both Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, but I don't know that my admiration of those actors is enough for me to keep watching. At this point, it's starting to feel like those movies that are all special effects and nothing else.
    My SO said the show makes that kind of thing look like it's "coo"l to do those things and there are too many crazys out there who could be influenced by it. Thinks they should just show Joe coming to some suitable end ... his followers removed or redeemed ... and take the show off the air.

Mohandas Gandhi

Well, I got off the fence & deleted the show from my DVR Schedule. There is just to much weirdness, to much stuff for the audience to have to accept that just isn't in any way believable, & way to much stuff that I am just not interested in. By the way, not to spoil anything, but if you go to IMDB.com & check through the episode guide, there are some surprising characters that aren't included for the entire season.

I really did want to like this show, cause I have always liked Kevin Bacon, but alas, I'm out!

+ Reply to Thread