+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: The Following

Re: The Following

I have this show DVRed and hope I can fast-forward the dog scene. Thanks for the warning. Can't stand any animal cruelty in my shows!!!
    mesachick likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I was going to watch this, mainly because Kevin Bacon is in it, but think I can't add any more gore to my viewing list, after reading all your comments. My other crime shows are bad enough, but this sounds, as I've read repeatedly in the reviews, as if it should be on cable. Apparently KB thought so as well--made some comments about being surprised that a network would pick it up.

I didn't like the dog scene, but the people dying were really disturbing, too. It was very graphic with the eyes, and I hated that the girl who had been saved ended up being killed. Hearing her dying screams and then seeing her flop down the chains was really intense!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I was going to watch this, mainly because Kevin Bacon is in it, but think I can't add any more gore to my viewing list, after reading all your comments. My other crime shows are bad enough, but this sounds, as I've read repeatedly in the reviews, as if it should be on cable. Apparently KB thought so as well--made some comments about being surprised that a network would pick it up.
    It is interesting about the cable comments. Fox always has been one to push the envelope though. I'm glad too! I don't have HBO or any of the other pay channels like that.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I think it would be a better fit on cable, too, like, AMC, TBS, SyFy, and USA, along with shows like Justified, Breaking Bad, and their ilk.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I thought it was a great show apart from the dog scene. One complaint I had was the flashback scene with the killer. I don't think it was James Purefoy's fault, because I love him, but it didn't do a good job of showing the charisma he would have to have to get two guys to pretend to be gay to get close to the last victim, have a woman shove a knife through her eye into the brain, or follow him to become serial killers. I also would have expected an expert on Poe and other literature to be a bit more deeper in what is supposed to be a college class. He was better in the current scenes. very creepy and disturbed.

I am very opposed to animal cruelty; I never thought Michael Vick should have been allowed back into the NFL. However, I am at least equally disturbed by violence and torture again people.
    Duckyface likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I happenned to hear a radio critic/reviewer who said he was given Four(4) episodes and gave it great reviews ... said it was addictive.

So I decided to watch the on demand pilot/Ep1 and thought it was a great show.

I too am an animal lover and think it's interesting that we are all distubed by the dog scene but not so much by all the dead people.

Even the young FBI agent told KB that the animal brutality disturbed him! In fact I think he said to KB that he can handle the dead people but not the dogs and KB gave him a look. I do believe that statement was in there as an effort to diffuse the impact of the animal cruelty.
    Hyper likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I watched both episodes last night. I really like it but I am a very jumpy and easily startled person so no one wants to watch it with me :p Even when I am anticipating being surprised (like the dead dog scene) I still jumped and screamed when the dog barked.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I am really liking this show. The acting and production is top-notch so far. The concept of having a cult based on the romanticized teachings of Poe is pretty interesting. James Purefoy has exactly the right demeanor for his character.

I didn't find it any gorier than Criminal Minds, or CSI. And while the concept of the dog scene was disturbing, you really couldn't see anything. It was more implied gore than actual gore IMO.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread