+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Re: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Shoepie, about Jodie Foster, I think the reason she emphasized her 47 year career is that she is still rather young to be receiving a lifetime achievement award. Most of the people who get them are in their 70s or older. There are other exceptions to that, but I think Jodie was aware of the age thing and addressed it. Regarding her comments on privacy - actually there are people who have cared about that. She has been criticized by some who think she's not supportive of the gay community by having never done a big formal "Yes I'm gay" announcement. They think it implies she's ashamed of her sexuality. So I think that she was addressing those criticisms, pointing out that she's always kept all aspects of her private life private, so why should her sexuality be any different?
    Just a thought regarding the bolded... I think it would have been much more classy if she'd just accepted the HONOR that was being bestowed upon her if that's the case, especially if she really is retired. Maybe that's why she kept saying she's 50? I wasn't getting that at all. She's not even close to the youngest person to receive the award. Judy Garland was 39, Charlton Heston was 43, Kirk Douglas was 51 (just to name a few), so I don't get why she feels the need to make such a stink. I love her work don't get me wrong, but last night she was bordering on obnoxious. She just came off weird last night IMO.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Thanks. I still dont understand why Bigelow was singled out from all his other wives to get the "award." Wiki didn't even mention her beyond her name.
    Poehler referred to the controversy over how torture is shown in Bigelow's film Zero Dark Thirty (there has been criticism that torture was shown as getting results, thereby seeming to sanction the use of it). Poehler said that when it came to the matter of torture she would trust the woman (Bigelow) who was married to Cameron for three years. So, basically, it was a humorous reference to the film that Bigelow was nominated for last night and its subject matter.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Just a thought regarding the bolded... I think it would have been much more classy if she'd just accepted the HONOR that was being bestowed upon her if that's the case, especially if she really is retired. Maybe that's why she kept saying she's 50? I wasn't getting that at all. She's not even close to the youngest person to receive the award. Judy Garland was 39, Charlton Heston was 43, Kirk Douglas was 51 (just to name a few), so I don't get why she feels the need to make such a stink. I love her work don't get me wrong, but last night she was bordering on obnoxious. She just came off weird last night IMO.
    Thanks. I could not get there and you did. Kudos. You nailed it. xoxoxoxo
    mesachick likes this.

...I love her work don't get me wrong, but last night she was bordering on obnoxious. She just came off weird last night IMO.
    You said it....

For some reason that I honestly don't remember, I thought most people already knew Jodie Foster was gay. I mean, it wasn't news to me.

Also, I didn't understand all the tears in the room. Yes, I figured out her mother probably had some sort of mental illness and was moved by Jodi's remarks but that couldn't have been the only reason for the tears by audience members, right? The whole speech was just...odd. Especially for an outsider which all of us in tvland happend to be. What was I missing? My God! She was all over the place.

...I absolutely loved Argo. It was the best movie I saw all last year and I'm thrilled it won. There's really no way it will win the Oscar, seeing as Ben can't win for best director and those two awards generally go together, so tonight was awesome.
    I also LOVED Argo and am happy Ben Aflack et al received some positive recognition at The Golden Globes and the Critics Choice Awards.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 01-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    mesachick likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567