+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

FORT Fogey

Re: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I thought the show was pretty good last night. Tina and Amy were so freaking funny. Very good hosts!

Glad to see Argo win some awards. I really thought Lincoln would have gotten more than they did, but nice to see Daniel Day Lewis win. Jodi Foster... what? LOL She was very puzzling last night. I can't believe she would be nervous, but that's how she came across. Not too coherent, which is too bad, because her overall message about privacy was kind of lost in all the rambling. I did tear up when she talked about her mom though. Good night in all.
    Her speech was very odd. Too much emphasis on being in show business for 47 years when she was addressing many stars who have been in the business a long time and been more prolific. I am not sure anyone cares that she chose to live her life privately. It is a non issue, really. She tried for some laughs and bombed. Too bad, I like her.
    momrek06 and mesachick like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I loved Amy & Tina hosting the show. Amy's comment about Kathryn Bigelow deserving an award for 3 years of marriage to James Cameron! Priceless Loved the wins for Ben Affleck especially after being shut out of Oscar.
    The highlight for me tonight, though, was Jodie Foster. One of the most beautiful speeches ever. And the fact that she had Mel Gibson at the table with her was really something. The guy's a pariah in Hollywood and years ago Jodie went on about his homophobic comments which were really offensive. However, he came through for her in a very big way when she needed him and has been a good friend for years. It's nice to see that loyalty shown by someone especially when it's not a popular move to make. It's a testament to Ms. Foster's character.
    I didnt get that. Can you explain?

I thought it was quite moving when she spoke about her mother.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I didnt get that. Can you explain?
    Cameron isn't known for being a very nice man. Also, Bigelow was his third wife -- he's currently on wife #5, and the way he left Bigelow (and the way he left the woman he left Bigelow for) was kind of cold:

Cameron has been married five times to the following spouses: Sharon Williams (19781984), Gale Anne Hurd (19851989), director Kathryn Bigelow (19891991), Linda Hamilton (19971999, daughter Josephine born in 1993), and Suzy Amis (2000-present). Cameron dated Hamilton since 1991, but the two didn't marry until 1997. Eight months after the marriage, however, they separated, and within days of Cameron's Oscar victory with Titanic, the couple announced their divorce. As part of the divorce settlement, Cameron was ordered to pay Hamilton $50 million.[80] Hamilton later revealed that the reason for their divorce was not only Cameron's blind devotion to his work to the exclusion of almost everything else, but also that he had been having an affair with Suzy Amis, an actress he cast in Titanic.[81] He married Amis in 2000, and they have one son and two daughters. Cameron lives in Malibu, California, with his wife.[citation needed]
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Her speech was very odd. Too much emphasis on being in show business for 47 years when she was addressing many stars who have been in the business a long time and been more prolific. I am not sure anyone cares that she chose to live her life privately. It is a non issue, really. She tried for some laughs and bombed. Too bad, I like her.

ITA, Shoepie.
    I like Jodi ALLOT. I have seen almost ALL her movies that were in the montage but living outside of L.A. and listening to comments last night after the GG's and again now a.m. radio shows, I am not in the minority thinking her speech was very odd. Most are stating she was rambling. And why did she even have to mention Honey Boo Boo ugh.

Had I known her Mom was struggling with dementia I might have better understood her words to her Mom but being very private and that is her RIGHT, I am guessing many of the viewing audience did not understand what she was saying.

If she is INDEED retiring as that is what the media is saying she stated in last night's speech, I am disappointed because I have always loved her work.
    Shoepie and bee stung lips like this.
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

Shoepie, about Jodie Foster, I think the reason she emphasized her 47 year career is that she is still rather young to be receiving a lifetime achievement award. Most of the people who get them are in their 70s or older. There are other exceptions to that, but I think Jodie was aware of the age thing and addressed it. Regarding her comments on privacy - actually there are people who have cared about that. She has been criticized by some who think she's not supportive of the gay community by having never done a big formal "Yes I'm gay" announcement. They think it implies she's ashamed of her sexuality. So I think that she was addressing those criticisms, pointing out that she's always kept all aspects of her private life private, so why should her sexuality be any different?
    Critical, Shoepie, justCoz and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Cameron isn't known for being a very nice man. Also, Bigelow was his third wife -- he's currently on wife #5, and the way he left Bigelow (and the way he left the woman he left Bigelow for) was kind of cold:

I would believe Bigalow over that egomaniac.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Thanks. I still dont understand why Bigelow was singled out from all his other wives to get the "award." Wiki didn't even mention her beyond her name.

Thanks. I still dont understand why Bigelow was singled out from all his other wives to get the "award." Wiki didn't even mention her beyond her name.
    Because her film won an Oscar( the hurt locker) and Zero Dark Thirty is hers. Amy said I don't know much about the torture in Zero Dark Thirty but I will take Biglelows word, as she was married to Cameron. No point in mentioning any other wife
    Shoepie and Imperfect1 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I read that Homeland beat out Breaking Bad. So pathetic. What's wrong with those people? It has to be political. There is no comparison in those shows.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast