+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Re: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

I absolutely loved Argo. It was the best movie I saw all last year and I'm thrilled it won. There's really no way it will win the Oscar, seeing as Ben can't win for best director and those two awards generally go together, so tonight was awesome.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

I loved Amy & Tina hosting the show. Amy's comment about Kathryn Bigelow deserving an award for 3 years of marriage to James Cameron! Priceless
    Loved the wins for Ben Affleck especially after being shut out of Oscar.
    The highlight for me tonight, though, was Jodie Foster. One of the most beautiful speeches ever. And the fact that she had Mel Gibson at the table with her was really something. The guy's a pariah in Hollywood and years ago Jodie went on about his homophobic comments which were really offensive. However, he came through for her in a very big way when she needed him and has been a good friend for years. It's nice to see that loyalty shown by someone especially when it's not a popular move to make. It's a testament to Ms. Foster's character.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I loved Amy & Tina hosting the show. Amy's comment about Kathryn Bigelow deserving an award for 3 years of marriage to James Cameron! Priceless
    Loved the wins for Ben Affleck especially after being shut out of Oscar.
    The highlight for me tonight, though, was Jodie Foster. One of the most beautiful speeches ever. And the fact that she had Mel Gibson at the table with her was really something. The guy's a pariah in Hollywood and years ago Jodie went on about his homophobic comments which were really offensive. However, he came through for her in a very big way when she needed him and has been a good friend for years. It's nice to see that loyalty shown by someone especially when it's not a popular move to make. It's a testament to Ms. Foster's character.
    Glad you got something out of Jodi Foster's speech that I think most of us will not. I thought she was drunk or on drugs. It was so strange and painful to watch. I just wanted her to get off the stage.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by taracran View Post
    Glad you got something out of Jodi Foster's speech that I think most of us will not. I thought she was drunk or on drugs. It was so strange and painful to watch. I just wanted her to get off the stage.
    Really, what was she talking about? I took migraine meds today, so I think maybe I nodded off or was not sharp enough to grasp the point(s) she was trying to make. Was she saying she was gay or something? Who cares?
    taracran likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I don't know who Jessica Chastain is, but may I say - what a ridiculous dress, paired with the worst hair ever.
    She got one of her starts by a movie called "The Tree of Life" a beautifully filmed but honestly disjointed and non-lineral confusion of a movie. (2001: A Space Odyssey is a bit easier to understand). I still was surprised it got a best film nod last year - but it got it because of the top honor at the Cannes festival (Palm D'Or).

She also was a slight airhead type character in "The Help." - most people will remember her from this one.

I have met her and she's a relatively sweet young lady - atypical of most Hollywood types. I hope she continues to have that demeanor.
    taracran likes this.

Watched the pre show on E! just to see the dresses. For once all the ladies were beautiful including Jessica Chastain.

PS: watching the stars live as they talked to the E! commentators the dresses show to advantage, I checked out some of the still photos on other websites and can see from certain angles and lighting why some editors said some of the dresses were not so good.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-14-2013 at 01:04 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I know the Aziz Ansari thing ("Lisa") was part of the schtick, but still. It just points out the fact that most of the viewers have no clue who she is.

Good timing for Girls with season 2 premiering tonight. I'm sure the folks at HBO are thrilled.
    Unfortunately, Girls could win a grammy, nobel peace prize, oscar, kids choice award, whatever, and it would still SUCK.
    Imperfect1 and Dragonlady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by taracran View Post
    Different strokes, I guess.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Unfortunately, Girls could win a grammy, nobel peace prize, oscar, kids choice award, whatever, and it would still SUCK.
    Opinions vary. I like it.

Count me in the group shaking my head over Jodie Foster's speech. Rambling and weird. She had a few good bits at the end, but it was WAY too long and casual before she got to the point.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OMG, Chad Lowe https://twitter.com/ichadlowe/status/290664617141739520
    Excellent. I love it when someone gets the joke....and goes with it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast