+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Re: 2013 Golden Globe Awards

Okay, Amy Poehler totally got the better end of the deal with the nominee announcements for Best Actress in a Comedy. Much better to canoodle with Clooney than sit with JLo.

Lena Dunham wins.....and Aziz Ansari calls her Lisa and then the announcer pronounces her name "Denim." Girl can't get any respect. Bad move writing a speech to read. UGH. I like her, but I'd much rather ALWAYS have the winner just speak off the cuff (or at least memorize the speech) than read something. Be awkward rather than dull. Boo.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Lena Dunham was having walking issues...yikes. Shoes? Too much fabric on the skirt. I think that is how I would walk if I had to dress like that...she did look pretty, though.
    beerbelly likes this.

Jodie Foster really should stick to acting. This speech is bad. She also needs to stop dropping her hand onto the podium over and over again.

ETA: Okay, it got better at the end there, but jeez, she took much too long to get to the good stuff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

What the hell was Jodi Foster saying? I was so confused and her constant had movement was like a dictator talking. Very bad moment
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Okay, Amy Poehler totally got the better end of the deal with the nominee announcements for Best Actress in a Comedy. Much better to canoodle with Clooney than sit with JLo.

Lena Dunham wins.....and Aziz Ansari calls her Lisa and then the announcer pronounces her name "Denim." Girl can't get any respect. Bad move writing a speech to read. UGH. I like her, but I'd much rather ALWAYS have the winner just speak off the cuff (or at least memorize the speech) than read something. Be awkward rather than dull. Boo.
    Aziz called her Lisa as part of his shtick. I feel like all announcers pronounce it close to "Denim" so I'm not surprised it sounded like that. But I loved her speech.

On another note, I loved the Princess of Genovia line and the thanks to Sally Field by Anne Hathaway.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Ben Affleck wins Best Director and he's not even nominated for an Oscar. Ridiculous (not being nommed for the Oscar, not the GG win).
    JLuvs, justCoz, Cootie and 1 others like this.

All I can think when Ben keeps winning these awards while not being up for the Oscar is, "Argo f*#k yourself."
    taracran likes this.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Television Series - Comedy Or Musical - "Girls" (big winner tonight)

BEST ACTOR: COMEDY OR MUSICAL - Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"

BEST PICTURE: COMEDY OR MUSICAL - "Les Miserables"

BEST ACTRESS: DRAMA - Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"
    Last edited by Cootie; 01-13-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Lena Dunham walking in heels is EXACTLY why I don't wear them anymore. I think Aziz's "Lisa" was part of his schtick, but the announcer's mispronunciation was just his ineptitude.

I'm watching on a bit of a delay but am getting caught up, and man Jodie Foster is just babbling.

I know the Aziz Ansari thing ("Lisa") was part of the schtick, but still. It just points out the fact that most of the viewers have no clue who she is.

Good timing for Girls with season 2 premiering tonight. I'm sure the folks at HBO are thrilled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast