+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redsox girl

Thread: Mockingbird Lane (NBC)

Mockingbird Lane (NBC)

The premiere aired Friday 10/26/12 in the hour before Grimm. In checking the website, they are not yet on the schedule, so may be set as a winter replacement.

Mockingbird Lane | New Munsters Remake | NBC

The premiere episode shows a modern re-working of the favorite TV show The Munsters. Only these Munsters are far more creepy and gruesome than the "campy" originals. The cast played well together with Marilyn all grown up and sort of the "normal" lynchpin that gets them into society. Rather than a vampire, Grandpa seems to be more of an ancient demon, while Herman is a flesh and blood man who keeps breaking his heart (literally.) His inner workings bring in a touch of steam punk to the proceedings. Eddie is at werewolf puberty and confused, while Lily wishes she was more nurturing.

The cast is great and well cast in these updated roles. Eddie Izzard is the creepiest of the creepy as Grandpa. If you are looking for a cute and funny show with a catchy theme song, this one isn't for you...but, if you like real family grit (Grandpa isn't going to eat him at the table, is he?) and gore, you just might take your own place at the table.

Oh, at the end of the episode, Eddie received a protector against his wolfish human eating tendencies (which he doesn't want.) Herman and Lily introduced him to a gigantic dragon and he is over the moon with his new dog.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: Mockingbird Lane (NBC)

I watched by accident, meaning I didn't realize it was airing. It was an interesting update for the old Munsters. I do agree, it is a bit gory for that time slot, especially for the little ones. I did like it and thought the special effects were good. I loved how they 'made' Lily's clothes and how Lily and Grandpa were formed. I wouldn't mind if they toned Grandpa down, he was a little too creepy for my 'taste' *shudder* but, the rest of the cast was great.
    I wondered if it was going to be a regular series and if so, I will be interested to see how it develops.

I should have read this before I watched... it was not at all what I expected. I didn't hate it. It just didn't match my perception of the show. I think EI is perfect for the role, I'm just not so sure that it was written the right way? If that makes sense.

I would have to see more to understand how it would have played out as a series.

I watched it on the internet tonight. I really liked the show. I did read that this will probably be the only episode shown. The ratings were much higher than expected, so maybe TPTB will rethink this show.
    There's no place like home!

I read that it was considered as a Fall series but the network didn't pick it up, however they felt the pilot would make a good Halloween time special. At this point it's not in the running for a replacement series, but you never know. If it did well enough & enough of their shows get cancelled, I suppose it's possible.
    I watched it & liked it. I agree Grandpa needed to be toned down a bit.
    I thought it was well cast & while more gruesome than the original, it was fun to watch. It had a fun snarkiness about it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Yes Miss Scarlet - currently it's a pilot that was not picked up for a series but they felt was perfect for Halloween.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see it though - had to go to Football myself. Still, I'm sure I'll be able to see it somewhere. I do like the idea of changing it up a bit, but honestly, most people would like the campy version. Then again, I felt Jerry O'Donnell was robbed of a regular series with "The Defenders" - CBS didn't give that show a chance - so I was hoping too he'd get another shot here.

It is online...go to nbc
    There's no place like home!

I wouldn't watch it as a regular series but thought it was ok for a Halloween type show.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

The official line on the show is this: Yes, it was originally supposed to be a series, was changed to a Halloween spacial with the caveat being if the ratings were high enough it is to be considered a weekly show for 2013.
    The ratings were high. so it will be interesting to see if the network holds up its end of the deal. I thought the show was wonderfully unique in its retelling of the original. The visuals were stunningly creative , the writing sly, witty and a breath of fresh air. It was perfectly cast. Eddie Izzard never ceases to amaze me with his chameleon like acting ability. Others said his character needs to be toned done and I certainly see where you are coming from. But, for me, Izzard was a scary , droll delight and probably the most entertaining character. The casting in general, was perfect. This is a show with a distinct viewpoint and put into the hands of the wrong actors it could have gone terribly wrong. I think every person chosen for their parts were pitch perfect. I hope it shows up on the 2013 fall schedule. Its intriguing and goodness knows theres enough sub par junk on right now that I cant understand why this unique treat shouldn't get a fair shot.
    Arielflies likes this.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread