+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree267Likes

Thread: Nashville

Re: Nashville

Good points about Neal Young, Bee Stung Lips. I love the man and his body of work. I understand that he takes a lot of crap for not being a good singer, but with him, it's okay. I love his voice and the emotion he brings to his songs. I tend to be quite critical of singers, but some artists overcome that with the soul they put into their music.

I actually liked the episode last night, more than last week! I am liking Juliette more, which is a shocker! She and Ranyna are so miserable and alone, despite their success and being surrounded by people.

So, did Rayna do it with her ex-lover last night? They were sitting in his car after the show. Then she goes home looking all guilty. Did anyone catch what the guy said to Rayna just before she got out of his car?

What was Rayna's husband burning?

Sorry, but I just can't tolerate the young, writing duo. I liked their singing performance last week, but nothing else. They bore or annoy me.

FORT Fogey

I don't remember what the guy said to Rayna just before she got out of his car, but I don't think they actually did anything ... they just realized that they still have a powerful love for one another. That's why Rayna felt guilty when she got home. I assumed Teddy was burning something that had to do with that land development deal, as that's what the sticking point was with him in terms of his background that could harm his election chances.

I liked this episode better than the first, but I still think most of the story lines are too cliched: the rivalry between the older and younger stars, the love triangle with them and Rayna's former lover, the jealousy of the young female singer's boyfriend over her impending success, etc.
    Florimel and bee stung lips like this.

I get your point. I guess it's something a little different for me, since I usually watch more hardhitting dramas like Dexter, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Scandal, where the storylines are wAAAY crazy. I guess the drama with this show is a litte more in line with Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy, though I don't think the acting is as good and there are places in the show where it looks so staged. It's almost like a liftetime movie. Still, I'll give a shot and try to hang in there for one season.

I will say they should have worked more on the quality of the show and less on the promotional stuff. They promised something that has not been delivered IMO. It's like they went crazy with the name of the show, forgetting that it is just the name of the town. Now we want to see great scripts and acting and not this big word.
    bee stung lips likes this.

I think if the bumped up the quality instead of trying to make a show to sell their music (which is what I kind of felt they were doing last night) and laid off the cliches a bit I probably would really like this show enthusiastically. I really only watch it at this point because on Wednesdays I don't really watch anything else.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Haven't seen the second episode but will soon. I really liked the first altho very predictable.
    I love Connie Britton, all the way back to Spin City.
    I was delighted to see Chip here...loved him in Who's Line Is it? and didn't know he was a good actor also.
    Don't really care for Hayden much but she does do "young and mean" very well.
    Loved the listening to the young couple (Scarlett and Gunnar?) but don't find them interesting.
    I agree with most here that it's somewhat based on Taylor and Faith....and find Taylor's singing/writing not very good but then I'm not a little pre-teen, listening to Radio Disney.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I liked Juliette not getting to go up on stage. I watched again and again I felt if they dropped her out of the show completely I'm not sure I would miss her at all. I found myself flipping away during all her parts because I just didn't care. I was way more interested in Connie's character and the girl at the bar.

My only other issue with the show is casting. I can't keep characters straight and there's a lot of characters on this show. Even though these folks look different what it boils down to to me is a bunch of old guys, bunch of blond woman and a bunch of younger brunette guys.
    See, I'm just the opposite. I find Connie Britton's character's sourpus attitude and sourpus face to be very off putting. Don't like her selfish, self-absorbed attitude even though it goes inline with the character. I actually went into watching this show prepared to hate Hayden's character, since I'm not much of a fan of the actress in real life. But slowly over this past couple of episodes, I am finding her character to be way more interesting than Connie's character. I don't really find Connie's character or her singing partner's past relationship to be all that believable or compelling. I really couldn't care less about their past together and really hope the writers don't shove a revival of their past down our throats.

I do like this show, but find it to be extremely contrived and cliche-ridden at times. I hope they up the ante in upcoming episodes because I'd hate to see it end up on the cancellation chopping block.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 10-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    JavaJo and Debb70 like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree about the limitations of Taylor. I have defended her over the years, mainly because she is fairly mild and doesn't set a horrible image with drinking, sex, etc. for the younger kids....Taylor will be 23 years old in December. I think it's old enough to graduate the music up a little. She doesn't need the money, so I'm not sure why she's stuck in that tween level with her music. Have you heard her latest song entitled "We Are Never, Never, Getting Back Together?" She thinks it's GREAT?...
    It's almost like she is going backwards with that song. I find it horrible & can't stand her music, although I bought and enjoyed her first album & saw her live when she toured with Brad Paisley & enjoyed her performance. I too, am waiting for the day she goes a little Avril Lavigne or Alanis Morrissette but even if she does something along the lines of Before He Cheats, it would be an improvement over princes, Juliet and "we are never evereverever, getting back togetherrrrr..."

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Have you heard her latest song entitled "We Are Never, Never, Getting Back Together?" She thinks it's GREAT? I saw her introduce it and she does. My 12 year-old niece could have written it. Very odd IMO.

Taylor has convinced herself that she's an "edgy" artist. Girl has no idea how lame her music is. No idea. And give your 12 year old niece a little mroe credit...I'm sure she could have written something way better.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I tried to recall what kind of music I thought was great, by a female artist, when I was a tween. There is much, because I was a HUGE music fan. I loved anything by an Osmond, but this song came to mind. At the time, I LOVED this song and the artist.

Olivia Newton John singing If Not For You.

IF NOT FOR YOU-- SUNG BY OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN (MY REMASTERED VERSION) Set to 720P - YouTube

I wonder if Taylor's material would be considered as paralleling it.

I just listened to Taylor's We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Wow! You guys said it was bad, but I had no idea how lame & juvenile it was. That was pretty pathetic. I figured it might at least be catchy, but nope. It sounds like it could have been written by a pouting 13 year old with no writing talent.
    If this is the "new" country, I'll stick with "old".
    I'm surprised she's won as many awards as she has.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread