+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree267Likes

Thread: Nashville

Re: Nashville

Have to agree that I love Powers Boothe; he was the main reason I watched the pilot in the first place. The last thing I saw him in was the Hatfield and McCoys miniseries. He played Judge Hatfield.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Caught it On Demand and LOVED it! Which is actually bad because I already cram too many one hour shows into my viewing schedule and even with On Demand, I find I'm spending way too much time catching up.

The songs are good and Connie and Hayden both do their own singing. For some reason, I kept thinking Faith Hill and Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood as comparisons for the rivalry between the two women. Looking forward to the next episode!
    I actually thought the Faith Hill/Carrie Underwood relationship WAS roughly the inspiration for this show?
    Debb70 likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I actually thought the Faith Hill/Carrie Underwood relationship WAS roughly the inspiration for this show?
    Oh my...never even thought of that. Makes sense to me.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I thought it was definitely Faith Hill and maybe Taylor Swift. Recall how they make the lead lady talk about how the younger girl can't sing and that her songs are very immature. IMO that sounds more like Taylor than Carrie. I could also imagine the leading lady being loosely based on Reba McIntire too.

I watched the first episode and didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. I hope it grows on me. IMO some of the acting seemed off. The script seemed awkward and it just didn't flow well. I would think that they could have found plenty of actors with natural southern accents. Many have those fake southern accents that just make me cringe. I'm from the south and when you hear bad fake ones, it's painful to hear.

I plan to watch the entire season though. I think the show shows promise.

I remember reading an article when this show was first announced and it mentioned the show was loosely based on Faith Hill/Taylor Smith. As I watch, I keep thinking Julianne Hough would have made a better Juliette, than Hayden Panitierre.
    norealityhere likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I was thinking it was based on that backstage incident caught on camera some years back at a country music awards show; Carrie Underwood was still quite new to the scene, post-American Idol, and when Carrie Underwood's name was announced as the winner in a category in which both she and Faith Hill were nominated, Faith is caught with a look of sneering surprise on her face, screaming, "WHAT??! Oh my God, are you KIDDING me??!!" insulted that a newbie like Carrie would win an ward over a veteran like herself. Faith later claimed she was just joking, but it sure didn't look that way to me.

I'm wondering if the show is more or less, loosely based around that "pseudo feud".
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Yes, I recall the incident with Carrie and Faith. I never believed Faith's explanation. Faith has been someone in the background ever since too, though I don't think that incident is the reason. She has really faded out.

Martina McBride has also struggled to say current. The song about cancer has been very successful for her. (Martina is my favorite country singer, with Carrie as a close second.)

I have always liked Faith pretty well though. My mom saw Faith in an interview done inside her house and said that FAith looked like she was loopy or something was off with her. We never did figure out what was wrong with her.

FORT Fogey

I just thought they gave away too much of what the entire season will be about in the first show. I can understand having to set up the dynamic between the two women, but we also know that the conflicts will center around the "love triangle" with them and Rayna's former boyfriend who is now sleeping with Juliet (a further giveaway because a Taylor Swift song mentions Juliet), and that Rayna is unhappy in her marriage but has to play the loyal wife for her husband's new political career, which coincidentally is being managed and manipulated by the father she can't stand. There was sort of too much crammed into the hour about all of this, so it's almost like there will be no surprises, and if you're not particularly interested in those plot devices (which IMO are kind of old and predictable), you won't be compelled to watch.
    Florimel likes this.

I do hope there will be some surprises. I really want to watch the show. I really liked the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I thought it was definitely Faith Hill and maybe Taylor Swift. Recall how they make the lead lady talk about how the younger girl can't sing and that her songs are very immature. IMO that sounds more like Taylor than Carrie.
    Ive never understood the phenom with Taylor Swift (or lots of other singers who arent really 'great' vocalists (ie Miley Cyrus, Kesha (she doesnt even sing, just talks to the beat!) Katy Perry, etc...) so I can definitely see this as a basis for the show. Carrie was/is a crossover artist but she is much more mature now and, for me, more of a real country artist because she can actually sing. Taylor's success is mostly from the crossover aspect and her songs are immature (but, shes basically a kid so what do we expect--it would be awkward if she sang songs about cheating on her spouse at a bar).

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I watched the first episode and didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. I hope it grows on me. IMO some of the acting seemed off. The script seemed awkward and it just didn't flow well. I would think that they could have found plenty of actors with natural southern accents. Many have those fake southern accents that just make me cringe. I'm from the south and when you hear bad fake ones, it's painful to hear.
    I didn't think I would like the first episode (thought it would be an over the top caricature (sort of like Good Christian Belles*)) but I found it surprisingy intriguing. I can't wait to see how Rayna will compete with the young crossover artist who will obviously be putting on huge shows and has the benefits of youth, the crossover pop scene, industry discrimination and crazy teens on her side. And the younger kids are all fantastic (minus Hayden, her fake [over the top] southern accent is horrendous)...I'm excited to see how they are brought on to the big stage and how their relationships evolve in the limelight.

All in all, Connie Britton is such a great actress that she can carry a huge load while some of the other actors get their crap together...
    Last edited by mindy384; 10-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread