+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire

Re: Chicago Fire

They didn't show Severide and and Erin sleep together, but it was implied, I think.

I watch both shows and, really, they're pretty much the same show. They're both Dick Wolf productions with a lot of the same producers, same location, same overall feel. I don't understand liking one and not the other. One's in a firehouse, the other's in a police station. That's the only major difference I can see. Even the cast - at least several of them - were on CF before the spin-off happened.

I question the sensitivity of the bombing storyline, especially coming so close to the Boston Marathon bombing anniversary. Not that NO show can ever have a bombing storyline ever again, but one involving a race AND close to the anniversary.....it just felt like a bad decision. I'm sure the shows will be good, but I think they could have accomplished the same thing with another plot device causing the trauma.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

They didn't show Severide and and Erin sleep together, but it was implied, I think.

I watch both shows and, really, they're pretty much the same show. They're both Dick Wolf productions with a lot of the same producers, same location, same overall feel. I don't understand liking one and not the other. One's in a firehouse, the other's in a police station. That's the only major difference I can see. Even the cast - at least several of them - were on CF before the spin-off happened.

I question the sensitivity of the bombing storyline, especially coming so close to the Boston Marathon bombing anniversary. Not that NO show can ever have a bombing storyline ever again, but one involving a race AND close to the anniversary.....it just felt like a bad decision. I'm sure the shows will be good, but I think they could have accomplished the same thing with another plot device causing the trauma.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hmmm maybe about Severide and Erin. But later she told her partner when he asked about it (lol), that they were taking things slow, which to me meant that they hadn't. Who knows LOL.

I too, really like both shows.

I was sitting uneasy in my seat watching the bombing too. What with it tied to a race and all, it did seem really insensitive. It could have been a blood drive or some other community function and achieved the same affect as a race. Ugh. Shay is so stupid sometimes OMG. As an EMT, she knew the severity of her injury, and should have just stopped and been taken care of. Yes, yes - I know it all adds to the drama, but why do characters have to be written so poorly sometimes to try to create it. I found the Kelly/Severide saving of Gabby soooo cheesy. The one storyline that had me watching was the little girl with the liver.

I haven't had a chance to watch Chicago PD yet - I fell asleep soon after Fire lol.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Isn't the PD show only on tonight? Don't think you can watch it yet!

There's one big difference between the shows and that's the "style" of the leader. The boss in the PD show is a brutal man who only cares about what he wants to care about---usually his team and finding out answers. He's perfectly willing to use brutal and illegal ways to find things out/solve crimes, etc. His methods cause at least the younger members of the team a lot of angst--they clearly are uncomfortable with them. It's "ok" with the viewers only because so far he only hurts bad guys on the show, but as we saw from his introduction on Chicago Fire he's perfectly willing to hurt "good guys" as well to get what he wants/protect those under his care like his grown alcoholic drunk driving son. You got the impression he would not stop at murder.
    In contrast the head of the Fire version is highly ethical, an admirable leader. Any not so ethical fire fighters are fired or "cured" one way or another. The PD show is much more morally ambiguous. So I can definitely see why people would like one but not the other. PD makes me uncomfortable frankly--I don't like this semi realistic presentation of how a PD unit should be run, no matter how "special" it is. You can argue that Hawaii 50 is equally free of all normal civil rights of criminals constraints due to their special status, but somehow that show comes across as a fairy tale, while Chicago PD comes across as a gritty close to reality show.

I have to admit I've enjoyed watching this two parter, if anything so Marina Squerciati actually is getting a larger role. She's IMHO woefully underused in Chicago PD, and she's rather talented for her age.

I also enjoyed seeing the actress who played Grace on The Mentalist.

The storyline didn't bother me given this was shown AFTER the Boston Marathon bombing and it's the bombing of all things of a HOSPITAL that just so happened to be during a race. I think if they had shown this last week when the actual marathon happened there'd been an outcry, but given how strong folks were during that race last week, I don't think it has been as much of an outcry than it could've been.

Bear in mind though - I also remember how Angel Jurabe, who was the winner of "Murder in Small Town X" was revealed as the winner of the murder mystery, only to die a couple of days later in the Sept. 11 attacks. THAT will always creep me out given the nature of that reality show and what happened just a few days later.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

It was intense for sure: Casey crawling through rubble looking for the missing Gabby, Peter defusing a bomb, Shay being injured (seriously) and not telling anyone, the two young girls who's lives are hanging in the balance . . . .

Glad Casey & Dawson were reunited (and seem to be safe)

Peter was successful and didn't blow himself up, taking Chief and Cruz with him

Shay was seem alive in a hospital bed in the previews but she's gonna catch grief for that tough-as-nails nonsense

Herrmann will surely have had a confidence boost after his baptism by fire (yeah, I went there). First shift as the acting Lieutenant and it's a doozie.

As is the nature of drama packed shows, I fear one of those young ladies is not going to make it - my guess is the seizure patient, who's liver will be transplanted & used to save the other girl (or possibly Shay)

My thoughts on subjects that hit too close to home: They can't avoid EVERY issue that might sensitive to some in the viewing audience. If they did, there would be nothing on your tv but rainbows and puppies . . . and then somebody would find a way to be offended by that! It wasn't a copycat situation so it's not like they were trying to replicate Oklahoma City or Boston, but I think they might have crossed the taste threshold IF they fail to tie in the visiting dignitary to the bomber's plans.
    Last edited by Little Sew&Sew; 04-30-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Not surprised with the whole outcome of this story, and I predicted what would happen regarding the girls.

That said, I will give them props for making sure that the doctor did NOT say that the girl getting the liver transplant would just live. They kept it real that it was going to be a struggle among other things, but she had a chance (not even good chance, which is a bit unrealistic).

The only other thing is this episode reinforced why I feel that they underuse a couple of characters in favor of the head of the department... he did things that would've gotten most officers fired if they were lucky it was just that.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I am not a fan of Voight, but I did enjoy that one unspoken moment between him and Chief at the beginning. Sometimes you can say more with a nod and a handshake than you can with an entire manifesto!

I thought they shortchanged us with the very limited amount of time they spent on Shay - although I guess there might be time for that when it's just a CF episode by itself.

I'm guessing their intent (at least partially) was to pick up viewers by combining the two shows. Since I'm getting ready to celebrate birthday number fifty-one soon, I am not in their Target Audience so I guess it doesn't matter than I am not any more a fan now than I was during the first two episodes. I do like Sophia Bush's character and I wouldn't mind seeing more of Dawson's brother, but they are not enough to pull me in and certainly not enough to keep me.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think we have settled the question of whether Severide and the detective are getting it on...
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I think we have settled the question of whether Severide and the detective are getting it on...
    LOL Ain't that the truth...
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread