+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire

Re: Chicago Fire

Seriously? SO many people know the cop is dirty and he's threatening a FIREFIGHTER and no one in authority knows about it? I'm happy to see the end of that storyline. I don't know everyone's name yet but I'd really like to see the paramedic with the crush on the blond firefighter turn his head, I think he already suspects that his doctor finace isn't the right match for him
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I'm enjoying the show, thrilled that it got picked up for a full season. It's not as good as Third Watch was but that show also took a while to get to that must see TV viewing for me.

I really like the commander and how protective he is about his crew. His demeanor and facial expressions draw me in. Everyone needs that kind of person on their side, you just know he'd lay his life on the line for his guys.

I hope they can get something on that dirty cop, he needs his ass kicked. Or a nasty disease like cancer or Lou Gehrig's.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I am really enjoying the show. To be honest, I don't really look for realism in a tv show when it comes to specific jobs. For me, if they cast it well and hook me in with a story, irregardless of plausibility, they have me as a viewer. I watch tv and movies for escapism, not realism.

I like the cast and some of the story lines so I am enjoying it so far. I am wishing bad things on the dirty cop, that is for sure, I like the story of the new recruit and how they are pulling his family/restaurant into the story to date.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I disagree that firefighters aren't heroes. It doesn't matter if it's a job or not. Most of us don't have jobs that require us to risk our lives to save someone else. They ARE regular people, but they do heroic things.

I think the show is okay, but I wouldn't really miss it if it was canceled. I like a number of the cast members though, so I'll keep up with it OnDemand.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

That was my befuddled point. Heroic acts define a hero, not the word. It seems that the word is too loosely used these days.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Some fire vehicles in cities are just for grass or brush fires. Then there are dumpster fires. Most calls to fire departments are medical calls. Heroes are defined as being brave or noble people, who risk their lives to save others. Firefighters rarely have the opportunity to risk their lives to save others. From what I've read, most people resuce themselves from burning buildings. If some firefighters rescue people from inside a building, while other firefighters are assigned to fight the fire from outside the building... the only ones who get to be called heroes, were the firefighters who entered the building?

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Some fire vehicles in cities are just for grass or brush fires. Then there are dumpster fires. Most calls to fire departments are medical calls. Heroes are defined as being brave or noble people, who risk their lives to save others. Firefighters rarely have the opportunity to risk their lives to save others. From what I've read, most people resuce themselves from burning buildings. If some firefighters rescue people from inside a building, while other firefighters are assigned to fight the fire from outside the building... the only ones who get to be called heroes, were the firefighters who entered the building?
    A lot of departments, rural ones especially, do have what we call "grass trucks" for field fires. And most large departments have their fire and ems together. Dayton for instance...my husband had to be a paramedic as well as a firefighter before they would even hire him. They switch off..some days he's on the truck, some days he's on the medic. And while his department doesn't get a lot of fires with people trapped, they do get a lot of accidents with injury and they save lives daily in that manner. They also risk their own any time they go into a burning building. And while they may not be risking it for another life, they do try their best to save as much of your home as they can, and often, the home next door. They also save a lot of beloved pets when the owners aren't home.

When you are the one sitting at home, waiting to hear from them, it's nerve wracking and when you are the one washing their uniforms that are covered in someone elses blood...it's hard not to see them as anything other than a hero.
    JLuvs and Critical like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    A lot of departments, rural ones especially, do have what we call "grass trucks" for field fires. And most large departments have their fire and ems together. Dayton for instance...my husband had to be a paramedic as well as a firefighter before they would even hire him. They switch off..some days he's on the truck, some days he's on the medic. And while his department doesn't get a lot of fires with people trapped, they do get a lot of accidents with injury and they save lives daily in that manner. They also risk their own any time they go into a burning building. And while they may not be risking it for another life, they do try their best to save as much of your home as they can, and often, the home next door. They also save a lot of beloved pets when the owners aren't home.

When you are the one sitting at home, waiting to hear from them, it's nerve wracking and when you are the one washing their uniforms that are covered in someone elses blood...it's hard not to see them as anything other than a hero.
    I have seen our firefighters run into burning buildings when its -30. They cannot get hoses to work, its -30! they have to thaw, because the water freezes on them. I see these men run into or toward, when everyone else is running away. Of course they are a hero. jmho
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Would a firefighter assigned to a grass fire truck be considered a hero? Also, firefighters talk about saving houses and pictures... but what's really important for survival is good health, vision care and dental care. Houses and belongings can be replaced.

I have never heard a firefighter talk about saving a house. A life, be it human or animal, yes. They save lives
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread