+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire

Chicago Fire

According to a news app on my phone this show has been picked up for a full season.
    mesachick likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Re: Chicago Fire

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Taylor Kinney, from Trauma! Looked through that cast and the only other ones I remember were the helicopter pilots, one of whom was a guy named Rabbit (the other was a woman), who was played by Cliff Curtis, who I thought was maybe partly Hispanic, but his bio says he's Maori.

Taylor was also on VD as Mason Lockwood, as you said.
    Taylor Kinney is also Lady Gaga's boyfriend. They've been together over a year.

I'm glad the dirty cop storyline is coming to a head and closure next week. It should really be intense as has that whole storyline.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm glad this is rerun on Sat. in my area or I"d never see it...

I've been catching it OnDemand, but it's not really that memorable for me. Super predictable and a little too "rah, rah." with the corny music swelling to TELL us that these people are heroic. They're firefighters, you don't need to go over-the-top on that. We know they're heroes without the cheesy music.

I like Taylor Kinney and Jesse Spencer, but I don't love the show. I was surprised to read that it got a full season pick-up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been catching it OnDemand, but it's not really that memorable for me. Super predictable and a little too "rah, rah." with the corny music swelling to TELL us that these people are heroic. They're firefighters, you don't need to go over-the-top on that. We know they're heroes without the cheesy music. I like Taylor Kinney and Jesse Spencer, but I don't love the show. I was surprised to read that it got a full season pick-up.
    I tried watching Chicago Fire to see if the show was interesting. It isn't. I used to think of firefighters as heroes until I talked to several of them. One firefighter referred to universal health care as communism. Others said they don't want to spend taxes on health care for everybody. Real heroes are those who want to help the neediest people... such as a man I saw who gave a piece of his pizza to a man who was sitting in a doorway.

The hero tag is so overdone, it's become redundant. Firemen/women are humans with jobs that go from lounging around to full action adrenalin within seconds. They are very well trained. I can't speak to individual motivation for wanting to do that work, but I'm pretty sure the job description doesn't have the word hero anywhere in the print.

After the heroic efforts to save lives during the Towers collapse, the politicians and the press quickly fed into the emotional connection of the country and the word, hero, could be attached to anyone seen as serving others. Soldiers are not heroes in and of themselves, but the stress and strain of war can produce heroes. The same with fire personnel.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fanatic

How about we leave politics out of this and just talk about the show?????? I like Chicago Fire, but I find myself fast forwarding through the "dirty cop" storyline...finish it already.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The hero tag is so overdone, it's become redundant. Firemen/women are humans with jobs that go from lounging around to full action adrenalin within seconds. They are very well trained. I can't speak to individual motivation for wanting to do that work, but I'm pretty sure the job description doesn't have the word hero anywhere in the print. After the heroic efforts to save lives during the Towers collapse, the politicians and the press quickly fed into the emotional connection of the country and the word, hero, could be attached to anyone seen as serving others. Soldiers are not heroes in and of themselves, but the stress and strain of war can produce heroes. The same with fire personnel.
    One older firefighter told me that the youngest firefighters/paramedics want to be at the busiest firehouse... they want action and excitement. (The busiest firehouse has mostly gunshot wounds caused by gang violence, and some fires started by homeless trying to stay warm in abandoned houses). For a local election, I got massive numbers of large posters in the mail for a candidate who just helped one segment of society... and the candidate was endorsed by the firefighter's union. A firefighter told me the candidate promised to help the firefighters with their salary and benefits, if they endorsed him. But, even though I have a cynical attitude towards firefighters, I would watch the TV show if it was interesting. There is nothing unusual or unique about the Chicago Fire tv show. The writing isn't good.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-12-2012 at 06:25 AM.

I am enjoying it, and am glad to hear that it got picked up for a full season. I like the connection that Mills and Dawson are starting to make.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread