+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire

Re: Chicago Fire

I found this on the web and it's pretty much what my brother-in-law (a firefighter) said as well. Basically 'truck' people fight the fires and 'squad' is rescue squad and they rescue the people and use the heavy equipment to cut into things (cars, rebar, etc), but they both really do fight the fires and save people as well.

"Fire departments vary on this. As a rule engine companies attack the fire, truck also known as ladder companies raise ladders, ventilate buildings, perform search and rescue, force entry , overhaul, salvage, and more. Rescue companies are generally added in bigger cities, and carry heavy rescue equipment and also respond to fires and also perform search and rescue amongst other tasks. The bottom line is all companies at any given time perform all duties."

ETA: Mesachick...I think we were posting at the same time! :-)

I never knew that "Squad" was rescue squad....it makes it easier to understand now!

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    Am I the only one to think that Severide wants to conceive the old fashion way and was a little bit disappointed that Shay found the money to go the clinical route? Not 'cause he wants to get into bed with her, but I'm thinking he wants the baby to be conceived with them actually doing it.
    It would make more sense to put that money in the baby's college fund ... and conceive the old fashioned way.
    It would seem to be just another way of artificial insemination.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Squad v. Truck

Definitions from Chicago Fire Department .... CFD:

Truck - A motorized apparatus that has a large mounted hydraulically raised 100-foot ladder. The truck also carries smaller ground ladders and varied equipment for specialized functions.

Engine - A motorized apparatus that has a pump, a 500-gallon water tank and hose. Often called a pumper.

Squad - A special operations apparatus that carries tools and equipment for heavy rescue.

These definitions indicate different equipment/apparatus and leads me to conclude that the team who staffs/operates the apparatus is just called squad or truck/engine. Note that Mills has to take some specialized course to move to squad. All report to the same Captain or Battalion chief.

In Chicago not every house has a squad and some don't have a dedicated ambulance.
    even on the show, if you listen to the calls that come in, ... everyone isn't always called.

In most areas, a truck/engine is sent on every call and will have an EMT or paramedic on board until an available ambulance arrives.

There are also a LOT of specialized units for airports, hazmat, water rescue etc, and of course investigators.

In this show, they make it seem like squad is the elite or something ... there seems to be some "glamour" attached to squad.

The bottom line is the guy who gets you unpinned from your car accident or gets your kitten out of a tree, may get more kudos and recognition than the guys who break down your doors in order to get in to stop a fire.

Mohandas Gandhi

I'm now thinking that Tara's accusations have nothing to do with being let go from rescue and more to do with her bartender friend that Kelly used and tossed away. Payback, maybe?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I'm now thinking that Tara's accusations have nothing to do with being let go from rescue and more to do with her bartender friend that Kelly used and tossed away. Payback, maybe?
    I was wondering if the bartender friend was part of this. Also ... Kelly didn't even remember her.
    Will she ( the friend) say this happened to her too?

Mohandas Gandhi

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Or maybe this Tara girl's friend doesn't even exist, she just used that story as a way to start a conversation with Severide.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

It wasn't Shay that threw Tara sort of under the bus, it was Gabby. She merely pointed out to the Chief that she wasn't suited for city street work.

We don't know how her seduction of Severide continued or concluded once Shay stormed out. Did they have sex, or did he turn her down? He thought they were still friendly when he greeted her in the driveway and looked confused when she didn't respond.

As for Hallie...her return will diffuse any tension Mills may feel toward Casey pursuing Gabby; though it may push Casey more toward Gabby.

As far as Mills studying for Squad vs. being a candidate on truck - I think Severide is pushing that deployment a little too fast. It started out when his father spoke his mind about Mill's dad, but now, I think it is a way to punish Casey for what Severide perceives as poaching on a fallen comrade's widow. No matter how much Casey denies it, Severide won't believe him, because Severide, if given the chance, would have taken advantage of the situation and can't believe Casey didn't.

Anyway - that is my take on the current happenings on the Soap Opera known as Chicago Fire.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, it was Gaby who threw Tara under the bus, but I'm not sure Tara knew that--or that it would matter to her since she knows Gaby and Shay are close--she could think Shay told Gaby to spike her. And I'm a bit fuzzy as to timing, but I think Gaby had already made that remark BEFORE the scene with Severide and Shay...but late enough in the day that Tara might not have found out until later, post Severide (really evil if she already knew she'd been cut, and went calling on Severide anyway, knowing from her bar friend what a hound dog he was, and that she could set him up that way).

One reason Mills is getting ahead fast is that he keeps breaking "candidate records".

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

My daughter finally had time to sit down last night and watch A Coffin That Small. I watched again . . . and cried again.

I still can't understand why it's such a big deal to Severide that Heather Darden may or may not be sleeping with Casey. Is he jealous that he's not getting that piece of the action?

And as for Mills pissing off Casey by hanging around Severide (and "Squad"), it was Severides idea. He was the one who went to Chief Boden and said he wanted to "fast track" Mills. Severide was the candidate who went through the initiation process at the youngest age. Would he really want Mills to beat his own record? There's a lot more going on inside Kelly Severide than we know about!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Maybe he thinks a recent fire house widow is too easy a "target", shooting fish in a barrel, and one should back off out of respect for their fallen comrade. Kind of like not dating your friend's sister---technically available, but not done. Hence why Boden's behavior would have caused such tension.

+ Reply to Thread