+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Arrow - CW

Arrow - CW

Thought I would start a new thread about CW's new series "Arrow" based on the character The Green Arrow from DC Comics. Fans of Smallville are familiar with Justin Hartley's portrayal. I was not planning on watching this series as I thought Smallville had done such a good job with the character and that I didn't want to be watching the new series and going "oh he wouldn't done that" or "Justin did it better". Well it's been a year and half long enough so I won't compare and there is a really good buzz about this show. It will be airing Wednesday nights at 8pm ET on CW. The premiere is on October 10, 2012.

Arrow | Series on the CW Network | Official Site

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City, his devoted mother Moira, much-beloved sister Thea, and best friend Tommy welcome him home, but they sense Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While Oliver hides the truth about the man he's become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was. Most particularly, he seeks reconciliation with his former girlfriend, Laurel Lance. As Oliver reconnects with those closest to him, he secretly creates the persona of Arrow - a vigilante – to right the wrongs of his family, fight the ills of society, and restore Starling City to its former glory. By day, Oliver plays the role of a wealthy, carefree and careless philanderer he used to be - flanked by his devoted chauffeur/bodyguard, John Diggle - while carefully concealing the secret identity he turns to under cover of darkness. However, Laurel's father, Detective Quentin Lance, is determined to arrest the vigilante operating in his city. Meanwhile, Oliver's own mother, Moira, knows much more about the deadly shipwreck than she has let on – and is more ruthless than he could ever imagine.

The series stars Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen, Colin Donnell as Tommy, Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance, David Ramsey as John Diggle, Willa Holland as Thea Queen, with Susanna Thompson as Moira Queen and Paul Blackthorne as Detective Quentin Lance.

Based on characters appearing in comic books and graphic novels published by DC Comics, ARROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Green Lantern," "Brothers & Sisters"), Marc Guggenheim ("FlashForward," "Eli Stone"), Andrew Kreisberg ("Warehouse 13," "The Vampire Diaries") and David Nutter ("Smallville," "Supernatural," "Game of Thrones"). Melissa Kellner Berman ("Eli Stone," "Dirty Sexy Money") is co-executive producer. The pilot was directed by David Nutter from a teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Marc Guggenheim, story by Greg Berlanti & Marc Guggenheim.
    GET MORE NOW
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Arrow - CW

This got great reviews in our local paper, but I couldn't pass up Survivor to watch it. Anyone see it?

I DVR'd and watched it. It was better than I anticipated because I really don't much care for comic book shows, but this one held my interest. No real suprrises in the pilot, but I think it shows some promise.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I caught the first episode online tonight. Wow...yes, I like it very much. I've set my DVR to pick up the series. The premiere is worth a re-watch.

I found this article which explains the casting and the concept. One interesting fact...the lawyer/ex-girlfriend is played by David Cassidy's daughter.

Stephen Amell brings Arrow to small screen | canada.com
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-12-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just finished watching the premiere episode. Very, very good.
    Florimel likes this.

Oh, did anyone else see "Deathstroke's Mask" hanging on a stake with an arrow through it when the Chinese fishermen were walking on the beach?
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We watched but I couldn't get past Justin's portrayal. I loved him on Smallville and he was just so much sexier than this new guy. Oh well. But we'll continue watching...

Maybe I missed it but what does his mother think he could possibly know? The list of bad guys in town??
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I luv'ed the last couple of seasons of Smallville and luv'ed Justin's Green Arrow and I really didn't think I would want to watch someone else portray that character. I think a year and a half was long enough and there is a lack of good programming and the pilot was very good. I like what they have done and I want to see more. Also the styling, lighting and feel of Arrow is completely different from Smallville and that helps separate the characters and story lines.

I liked Arrow, it certainly doesn't hurt that Stephen Amell is gorgeous to look at!

My problem with Arrow was that maybe it was a little bit too violent? I wasn't big on Smallville so I'm glad that this series is darker, but I think some of the violence was a bit much. I'm not sure if I like Black Canary's portrayal just yet, but I thought it was clever that she's still a crime fighter that uses her voice to fight crime as a lawyer.

The pilot hooked me and I'm gonna keep watching!

I never watched Smallville, so I had no preconceptions about the actor. I did not expect to like Arrow at all, but I find myself looking forward to seeing what comes next. I see a little bit of the Revenge motif here. At least the next few episodes are on my watch list.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast