+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Elementary

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Elementary

Not working for me! I've tried to give it a fair chance, but it just falls short. Jonny Lee Miller is no Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr. Is it fair to judge him against two such heavyweights? Perhaps not, but it can't be avoided. I also think the casting of Lucy Liu was a mistake. Not because she's female, but because she is too high-profile. It forces them to give Watson more importance (and a larger share of the storyline) than he/she would receive based on the character.

The BBC needs to step up production and bring new, and more, episodes to the small screen.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

For each person that dislikes this show, there might be someone lovin it. That would be me this time. In the beginning, I wasn't sure, but the more I watch the more I enjoy this show. I don't think of it as "Sherlock" in traditional sense, because it feels so completely different. I can't compare it to the Masterpiece version, or RD - the feel is New York entirely. It's another crime show, and the past two episodes in particular have been most enjoyable for me. I can't imagine anyone but Lucy L in this role...... it's different and I like that. I am very happy to know there will be a full season this year. Like most crime shows, it isn't right for everyone, and I respect that.
    "My heart is, and always will be, yours." – Sense and Sensibility

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Haven't really warmed to the show yet, but I watch it every so often when I have nothing else to watch. Just watched episode 6 though, and I loved the Psycho ringtone. Loved it so much I created one for my iPhone. Perfect for that crazy ex-girlfriend/boyfriend.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Not working for me! I've tried to give it a fair chance, but it just falls short. Jonny Lee Miller is no Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr. Is it fair to judge him against two such heavyweights? Perhaps not, but it can't be avoided. I also think the casting of Lucy Liu was a mistake. Not because she's female, but because she is too high-profile. It forces them to give Watson more importance (and a larger share of the storyline) than he/she would receive based on the character.

The BBC needs to step up production and bring new, and more, episodes to the small screen.
    And both of the two you mentioned are compared to Basil Rathbone or even Peter Cushing.

I've seen different versions of Sherlock Holmes played by different actors (including a dog named Soccer - aka Wishbone - in the TV series "Wishbone") and have enjoyed each version. "Elementary" is no different.

There are some aspects I think they can work on but I think the chemistry between the two works very well and the storylines are interesting. It may not have as long of a run as the Mentalist has - which I'm feeling is about to be canceled unless they end the Red John storyline - but at least it has been a GOOD replacement.

The Mentalist is having an awesome season!! I've been enjoying more than I have since seasons 1 & 2. Dark Jane has been a wonderful change.

Not sure how it's doing in the ratings since it was moved to Sunday nights, but it also follows The Good Wife, which has a solid audience.

As to Elementary, I find it rather sedate and easy to fall asleep to. It's not horrible, it just doesn't pique my interest.

And I'm ready to give up on Criminal Minds.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think you have to take this show on its own...more like Monk than Sherlock Holmes! I like the fact that "Watson" gets more weight here in fact (but I agree, makes it a different show)---too much Sherlock is hard to take.

I guess her talk with her mom about her mom noticing how Lucy is enjoying the detective work is going to lead to her staying on after her sober companion gig ends...but will Sherlock pay her? She needs to make a living, and being dependent on him for $$ will unsettle the power relationship they're finally settling into. I would think she'd have to make even more contributions to cases fot that to work... so far her points have been small, sometimes crucial, but small.

when she was trying to find her replacement and Holmes picked the dude then decided he didn't want him - I think it became obvious that he doesn't want anyone else - it will be easy for him to decide he wants to keep her.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree we've seen hints he wants her to stay and that she wants to stay, just now sure how they will do it w/o him being her boss. The original Holmes/Watson were friends, not employer/employee....

All they would have had to do to make this show palatable for me set in present day NYC would be to make Sherlock a descendant of someone in the Holmes family (perhaps descended through brother Mycroft) and Jane a direct descendant of John Watson. That would have been at least somewhat believable.

I remember quite a funny spoof called The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother with Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman and Dom DeLuise that I enjoyed a lot, but it didn't pretend to be what it wasn't.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I guess I just don't get the seriousness of what their names are --- it doesn't actually pretend to be Holmes and Watson - otherwise Watson would've been a man and not Asian.

I think they wanted to use the hook to get folks to watch since about half the scripted dramas on tv right now are of this genre and they were trying to set themselves apart and draw attention. Once I got past what their names were I found the show watchable - it's definitely not on my must see list, but it's not horrible.

Saying all that - I absolutely adore the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock movies.
    TripleGemini likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast