+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 2012 Emmy Awards

Re: 2012 Emmy Awards

Sorry, but I think Damian Lewis absolutely deserved the win. I don't like Bryan Cranston, so that's easy for me to say. Like I said upthread, I've tried to watch BB several times and I just didn't like it For me, Homeland is the better show. Very glad MM didn't win. Last season just wasn't up to par and if it had won, that would suggest to me that the voters aren't even thinking before they vote - they're just choosing a show because it's won before. IMO, that's what happens when TAR. Not that it's not a great show, but there are others in that category that deserved the win. For instance, I don't think anyone would have cried foul if The Voice or SYTYCD had won.

I can't explain John Cryer's win. Pretty much every critic picked Louis CK for the win and so did I. I like Jim Parsons, but I still thought Louis was better this past season.

I saw a picture of yet another woman (can't remember who) wearing that acid yellow green last night. UGH. In my experience, that color looks good on pretty much NO ONE. Maybe someone with dark skin would look okay in it, but I still think it's one of those colors that wears YOU.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw a picture of yet another woman (can't remember who) wearing that acid yellow green last night. UGH. In my experience, that color looks good on pretty much NO ONE. Maybe someone with dark skin would look okay in it, but I still think it's one of those colors that wears YOU.
    Yes! thats what I think. It does wear you.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    {snip}
    Why is American Horror Story in the Movie or Miniseries category when it had 12 episodes in its season, but Game of Thrones was in the Best Drama category and only had 10 episodes in its season? Seems to me like there should be some rules and requirements for nominees in those categories.
    I know! I don't get it. I mean, Downton Abbey had 8 episodes in S1 and 8 in S2 if I recall correctly. Strange the committee agreed with the way AHS was submitted. Oh well.
    Last edited by Marlena_M; 09-24-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I know! I don't get it. I mean, Downton Abbey had 8 episodes in S1 and 8 in S2 if I recall correctly. Yes, I'd love to understand those rules around this.
    Based on the article posted above, it sounds like there aren't any rules. Seems like show-runners are allowed to put themselves in whatever category they want. Downton Abbey was in the miniseries category until this year. I'd guess that Ryan Murphy put AHS in the miniseries category because it might have a better chance of winning than it would in the Drama category.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Based on the article posted above, it sounds like there aren't any rules. Seems like show-runners are allowed to put themselves in whatever category they want. Downton Abbey was in the miniseries category until this year. I'd guess that Ryan Murphy put AHS in the miniseries category because it might have a better chance of winning than it would in the Drama category.
    Yeah, thanks Critical. I modified my post after I read the article. I still don't personally agree with it but hey, their loss for not asking me LOL!!!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I wish they would have a whole separate set of categories for the shows on the premium channels. The shows on the "regular" channels are operating under a whole different set of financial (and ratings) constraints. It really isn't fair to put them up against each other. I wouldn't want Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc., to be ineligible for awards, but they seem more and more to crowd out the shows I CAN see...which, frankly, makes the Emmys less and less interesting to me. It's an apples and oranges thing, and when all the nominees are apples it makes those of us who only see the oranges not much care.
    Anyone see a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I wish they would have a whole separate set of categories for the shows on the premium channels. The shows on the "regular" channels are operating under a whole different set of financial (and ratings) constraints. It really isn't fair to put them up against each other. I wouldn't want Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc., to be ineligible for awards, but they seem more and more to crowd out the shows I CAN see...which, frankly, makes the Emmys less and less interesting to me. It's an apples and oranges thing, and when all the nominees are apples it makes those of us who only see the oranges not much care.
    I think the list of regular broadcast channel nominees would always be inferior to the cable nominees. If they were good enough, they'd be nominated. Creating separate categories would feel, IMO, like a participation trophy for teams that don't win in Little League. The truth is, because cable networks are less ruled by ratings and advertisers, they can take more chances don't have to worry about the bottom line as much. They can produce edgier stuff that doesn't pander. Because of that freedom, the cable networks tend to attract better and more creative writers. Mad Men is one of the best shows in the history of television, but I doubt it would have lasted even a season on one of the big 4 networks. I don't know about the budget comparison. Pretty much all cable shows - basic OR premium - have much shorter seasons that those on broadcast networks. I'd guess that the season budgets are comparable, even if the per episode budgets are higher for cable.

If they separated the Drama category, they should create a "Drama Light" category. That's what most broadcast network shows feel like lately. I read a really good article about Revolution and how it's indicative of the problems with broadcast TV dramas. I thought it was dead-on. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I totally agree with your points Critical and PWS, but I have a different take on the solution. Why don't the network channels RISE TO THE LEVEL of the cable channels. In fact, maybe if the cable channel shows keep out performing the network channel shows, the powers-that-be at the networks will be forced to rethink their strategies and constraints and make some changes --- changes that would raise the quality of their shows. I know, I'm dreaming. . .
    Critical likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I only get your network channels. I don't even get cable let alone fancy cable (as I call it) HBO etc. I don't really watch the Emmy's anymore because I only recognize a small handful of the shows on there let alone the actors and actresses. But I know lots of people do spring for cable and fancy cable and still get some enjoyment out of the show.

I wouldn't want a whole other category for the shows I can see. I know where I am and all but realistically my network TV spends much of it time doing 1 hours 2+ part game shows a week. Or reality TV shows in the evening broken up by one of the Law and Orders, CSI's or NCIS's it feels like. Yeah I know there's other shows that I watch (Bones, Greys and those) but really there's just not a lot to work with on network TV for shows. Maybe there are more on the cable channels. I wouldn't know but it would just be the same one or two shows winning over and over if they had their own categories I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I totally agree with your points Critical and PWS, but I have a different take on the solution. Why don't the network channels RISE TO THE LEVEL of the cable channels. In fact, maybe if the cable channel shows keep out performing the network channel shows, the powers-that-be at the networks will be forced to rethink their strategies and constraints and make some changes --- changes that would raise the quality of their shows. I know, I'm dreaming. . .
    I'd love for the networks to take this as a challenge and create better dramas. At this point, most of the network dramas fall into two categories: Dramedy (ex: Castle) or Melodrama (ex: Gray's Anatomy). Network shows are absolutely capable to raising the bar for themselves. One of the best things on TV two seasons ago was Charlotte's rape on Private Practice. The Good Wife has moments of greatness too. There are plenty of other network dramas that have had great storylines - we just haven't seen the whole show elevated to that level.

I don't think the relaxed rules as far as nudity and language have as much to do with cable's superior dramas - look at Downton Abbey - but I think cable shows do have more freedom to be edgier and to focus on great storytelling over a season rather than entertaining the audience so they'll keep coming back. I feel like the biggest factor in the divide is advertising. I mean, HBO can do whatever they want because they don't have to bow to advertisers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast