+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 2012 Emmy Awards

Re: 2012 Emmy Awards

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Thrilled for Tom to win. What he does is amazing, particularly because it's live. His off the cuff comments are usually even funnier than what has been written.
    Although I like Tom, I was pulling for Cat Deeley to win. She does everything Tom does AND she styles herself!

The In Memorium was very well done, no flashes to a singer, just the pictures. Ron Howard's tribute was very sweet. The bits they picked from the clips were almost perfectly spot on.
    I don't know who performed that song, but I thought it was awful. Weak voice and distractingly bad. Since the really bad In Memorium on one of the awards shows where they kept cutting to the singer and we didn't actually see the screen with the tributes, I think awards show producers have learned their lesson. I thought the actual video was very good, but the music wasn't.

That acid yellow/green seemed to be the color tonight. Julie Bowen, Claire Danes and Julianne Moore all wore some version of it and it wasn't good on any of them. They're all beautiful women, but that color didn't do them any favors.

I loved Morena Baccarin's dress. She did have a little panel across the front that held it together, so it wasn't going anywhere. The panel was just really translucent, so it was hard to see. Sophia Vergara looked amazing too. She's another one who'd look sexy in a garbage bag. I thought she deserved to win over Julie Bowen. She's the member of the cast that makes me laugh out loud the most. I also think that, of the MF guys, Ty Burrell is the best. Still, I wanted Max Greenfield to win that one.

Very happy with the Homeland win! Although it's not my favorite show, it's definitely deserving. I've tried multiple times to get into Breaking Bad and I just can't. I've never been a fan of Bryan Cranston, so that's kind of a problem. Of the nominated dramas, BB is the only one I don't watch. Frankly, I'd be happy if Sons of Anarchy was on that nominees list instead, but I think the academy voters are afraid of that show.

Very sad about Peter Dinklage not winning. He killed it (literally AND figuratively!) last season. Totally deserved to win.

Why is American Horror Story in the Movie or Miniseries category when it had 12 episodes in its season, but Game of Thrones was in the Best Drama category and only had 10 episodes in its season? Seems to me like there should be some rules and requirements for nominees in those categories.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-24-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Flipping through the red carpet gallery on EW.com....

Hits: Jennifer Westfeldt, Sarah Paulson, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kiernan Shipka (seriously, how cute is she!?)

Misses (and, WOW, there were A LOT): Julianne Moore, Ashley Judd, Lena Dunham, Glenn Close...half of the women (at least) who were at the show could be in this category.

The thing that's so crazy is that these awful dresses are by big name designers! Lena Dunham was in Prada. Julianne Moore's dress was Dior. Those dresses, JM's in particular, were definitely not up to the taste level I would expect from those designers. Maybe Lena's dress would have looked better on a different body type, but I can't imagine how that horrid acid yellow Dior would be flattering on anyone.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought the yellow color was horrid too. It was obviously the color to wear last night, but it shouldn't have been. I don't believe I thought it flattered anyone.
    Debb70 likes this.

I was hoping Breaking Bad would take it for best drama series. It certainly earned it IMO.

I wasn't bothered Homeland took it. They were really good too. They just weren't up to the same level as BB though.

I was relieved that Mad Men did not win again for best drama. Even though I am HUGE long time fan of Mad Men, last season was not up to par IMO. The show didn't deserve it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I thought the yellow color was horrid too. It was obviously the color to wear last night, but it shouldn't have been. I don't believe I thought it flattered anyone.
    Was it yellow, on my screen it looked puce. Whatever it was it didn't suit anyone.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I actually liked a couple of the yellow dresses. I thought Julie Bowen looked incredible. I didn't love Claire Danes, but I liked it. I hated Julianne Moores dress, but that was the style of it, not the color. Her dress could have been any color and I would have hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Why is American Horror Story in the Movie or Miniseries category when it had 12 episodes in its season, but Game of Thrones was in the Best Drama category and only had 10 episodes in its season? Seems to me like there should be some rules and requirements for nominees in those categories.
    I was wondering the same thing. I could not figure out why AHS was even in that category. So I googled it and here is what I found:

Miniseries Emmy bid for ‘American Horror Story’ pays off
    By Jen Chaney

“American Horror Story” is, arguably, the weirdest show on television. And it collected 17 Emmy Award nominations Thursday, the same number earned by perennial Emmy darling “Mad Men,” by taking a somewhat weird approach to its submissions for this year’s awards. Hey, this show doesn’t do it any other way.

This spring, Ryan Murphy and company opted to submit “American Horror Story” for Emmy consideration in the miniseries category. Their argument: As an “anthology” series, one that will reboot itself in season two with all new characters, it could be considered a miniseries and a drama. Emmy bought that argument, allowing “AHS” to compete in a (slightly) less competitive field than the best drama race.

Here are the nominations that strategy delivered:

One for best miniseries or movie made for television.

One best actress nomination for Connie Britton, who I said several months ago deserved an Emmy alone for her screaming during labor.

Two best supporting actress nominations for Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy, who also would have been nominated in a Best Weird Female Rivalry in Which One of the Characters is Dead category if there were an MTV awards show and not the Emmys.

One best supporting actor nomination for Denis O’Hare, which means the money that Larry Harvey spent on head shots finally, finally, paid off.

Twelve in more technical categories for: editing, make-up, prosthetic make-up, hair, casting, opening titles, art direction (two in this category), costumes (the Rubber Man suit was hard to make, you guys), sound editing, sound mixing and stunt coordination.

None of its directors received nominations. And hearts across the nation may have broken when the Tate faithful realized that Evan Peters got snubbed, even though he clearly played the best ghost boyfriend ever.

But still: 17 nominations. Murphy and his team played this really smart, almost like that cunning Constance Langdon, the Southern dame played by Lange, who, by the way, looks like the “Horror Story” star most poised to take home an award out of this Emmy haul.
    Miniseries Emmy bid for &lsquo;American Horror Story&rsquo; pays off - Celebritology 2.0 - The Washington Post

Interesting strategy....

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I am a big fan of the show! However, Homeland winning Lead Actor is a travesty, and being awarded Outstanding Drama, at best, questionable! Nothing says politics like a Hollywood award show.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm disappointed that Grimm wasn't up for any awards. I think Monroe should have won Best Supporting Actor in a drama series.

I don't watch any of the shows in the drama category. Most of them are on premium channels, which I don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I am a big fan of the show! However, Homeland winning Lead Actor is a travesty, and being awarded Outstanding Drama, at best, questionable! Nothing says politics like a Hollywood award show.
    Yeah. Bryan Cranston was ROBBED! That award had his name on it, IMO. Damian Lewis from Homeland was okay, but not even in the same league with Bryan Cranston. Please.
    Uncle David likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast