+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 2012 Emmy Awards

Re: 2012 Emmy Awards

Kevin Costner? Really? Over Benedict Cumberbatch and Idris Elba? Please.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Homeland wins! If it couldn't be Game of Thrones, this was my second choice. God, how gorgeous is Morena Baccarin? She's just stunning. Love her. That dress was killer too....although she really could wear a potato sack and look incredible.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Man, Game Change is really cleaning up.

Yay! for Homeland. I powered through the first season in one weekend and was really impressed. But my good gods, is Morena Baccarin going to pop out of that dress?

Julianne Moore's dress color is odd, and it seemed there was another woman in a similar color in the Homeland group. That color takes me back to Ramon on Project Runway and that neoprene dress he dyed in a toilet. I guess that's why I have such a strong reaction to the color.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Eh, Modern Family is okay but I'd rather any other show except Girls to win.

Congrats to Tom Bergeron! Disappointed that Giancarlo Esposito didn't win . . .he was fantastic on Breaking Bad.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I LOVE Jimmy Kimmel, but that first sketch was kinda lame. He's either hit or miss. The rest of the show was fine.

I was surprised that Jon Cryer won over Jim Parsons. I wanted to see Jim win the three-peat.

Also happy for Tom Bergeron. Hasn't Phil won this category many years in a row or was it the show? I LOL'd at Tom's speech regarding Probst not being nominated.

They should call this The Modern Family awards. Man, they get nominated a lot.

I read that Bill Maher has been nominated 27 times with no wins. Maybe he can get together with Susan Lucci and share a bowl or something.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Big impressions for me:
    Loved that Game Change won a number of awards. At the time it was first aired I thought it was really well done and award-worthy.
    Hated Julianne Moore's dress. The dress itself was hideous, the color was hideous and totally washed her out. Not sure if it was poor undergarment choice or that's the way the dress was made but the fact that it had me questioning it says there was a definite problem.
    Love Kerry Washington but her hair and makeup were just awful and please, please, for the love of God and chocolate, someone feed the woman! Just waaaaaay too thin.
    Unhappy Breaking Bad was bested by Homeland. Since I believe BB is the best series & dramatic acting ever, I suppose I will be ordering Showtime just so I can check this Homeland show. Must be good.
    Not quite getting the Emmy-love for Julie Bowen... she's always annoyed me, probably because I did not like her in Boston Legal or Lost. I find her humor forced.
    When Danny Strong was accepting his award I kept yelling "lower the mic!!! someone lower the mic!!!" ... poor man
    Shocked Jon Cryer won for 2.5 Men... especially over Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory. Jon Cryer? 2.5 Men? Really? Really?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Since I don't get HBO or Showtime, the only things I know about the drama shows that were nominated is what I've read here, at Fort.

I did want to see Jim Parsons and his show win for Comedy as I don't watch Two and a half Men or Modern Family.

I loved the tributes. I didn't realize so many terrific artistic people in the industry had died this past year.

Jimmy Kimmel was okay. I laughed out loud, though, when John Daily was called and he was tackled in the aisle by Fallon and I think Colbert. Ellen in a skirt to just be on stage as being a skirt bit was sort of funny.

I didn't watch the red carpet, but I didn't see any true fashion faux pas on the stage. Gennifer Goodwin's gown was gorgeous.

Giancarlo Esposito sure gets around...they mentioned two of the shows he did this past year, but not the third - Once Upon A Time; oh, and a fourth - Revolution. Danny Strong...thanks, Critical...I couldn't place him, but I knew I had seen him somewhere.

Oh, I thought the girl-brat bit for the intro to Modern Family was funny and the way they carried it through. Tracy Morgan lying on the stage was not funny. Nude girl eating cake in the toilet was not funny. Isn't she the 26 yr old who was nominated in three categories for the HBO series, Girl?

After reading about it here, and the reviews, I'm surprised The Hatfields and McCoys didn't pick up more Emmys. I'm also surprised Downton Abbey, except for the perennial Maggie Smith, wasn't better recognized.

Anyway, though I know hardly any of the shows, I thought it fast and good.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-24-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I LOVE Jimmy Kimmel, but that first sketch was kinda lame. He's either hit or miss. The rest of the show was fine.

I was surprised that Jon Cryer won over Jim Parsons. I wanted to see Jim win the three-peat.

Also happy for Tom Bergeron. Hasn't Phil won this category many years in a row or was it the show? I LOL'd at Tom's speech regarding Probst not being nominated.

They should call this The Modern Family awards. Man, they get nominated a lot.

I read that Bill Maher has been nominated 27 times with no wins. Maybe he can get together with Susan Lucci and share a bowl or something.
    I believe that while TAR has won that Phil never has. I think it's been Jeff Probst winning which is why Tom made the comment he did.

Thrilled for Tom to win. What he does is amazing, particularly because it's live. His off the cuff comments are usually even funnier than what has been written.

I love Modern Family so happy about those wins. I don't have any premium channels so totally lost about the dramas.

The In Memorium was very well done, no flashes to a singer, just the pictures. Ron Howard's tribute was very sweet. The bits they picked from the clips were almost perfectly spot on.

I didn't love the opening sequence but I didn't hate the job Jimmy did either.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

It really sucks that they wasted so much time in the early part of the show that they had to rush through the best parts at the end. Maybe a little less Tracy Morgan, and a little more Michael J Fox, please!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast