+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Revolution - Monday 10PM EST

Re: Revolution - Monday 10PM EST

I was also disappointed it it. I missed the first 10 minutes & was surprised to see the whole blackout & 14-15 years had passed before I tuned in.
    I would have liked to see the first episode cover that more extensively. Shoot, I didn't see any of it at all!
    There were many other things that bothered me logistically too.
    If they the writers thought this out they sure didn't do a very good job of explaining things.
    Also there were way too many stereotypical situations that all resolved exactly like every other show.

Depending on what shows this is up against, I will give it another episode or 2 before giving up. However, if it's up against something I don't want to miss, it's over for me.
    My tapes get too full as it is.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

CCL

I'm pretty sure there will be flashbacks. The mother is played by Elizabeth Mitchell, who is fairly well known - they wouldn't have hired her for three minutes of airtime. There are a lot of loose ends as other have pointed out regarding how/why the blackout started and what happened in the interim but this is a show, not a movie, so they're not going to tell us everything in one hour. And I believe they will show, not tell, which is another reason for flashbacks.
    They started off in San Francisco (the family, not sure about the uncle); not sure where they were living in the current day. There was a sign that said Sylvania Estate which makes me think suburban subdivision, but that could be anywhere really. I did think she got to the uncle a bit fast, but I guess they didn't want to drag it out too long.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

The premiere reminded me of Terra Nova in that I was really hoping for more than I got and left disappointed. The most interesting parts were learning the medallion can give off power and that Monroe was the guy in the car with the brother 15 years earlier (predictable). I'm not crazy about the daughter (maybe b/c I get a Katniss wanna-be vibe from her character) and think the only people who could actually make it in the wild would be the blonde girlfriend and Billy Burke's character.

I'm really hoping it'll pick up, so I won't keep nitpicking at various things...
    Critical likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    The premiere reminded me of Terra Nova in that I was really hoping for more than I got and left disappointed. The most interesting parts were learning the medallion can give off power and that Monroe was the guy in the car with the brother 15 years earlier (predictable). I'm not crazy about the daughter (maybe b/c I get a Katniss wanna-be vibe from her character) and think the only people who could actually make it in the wild would be the blonde girlfriend and Billy Burke's character.

I'm really hoping it'll pick up, so I won't keep nitpicking at various things...
    I was thinking the same thing re: Terra Nova. I watched the pilot/premiere OnDemand a week or two ago and, while I didn't dislike it, it didn't leave me itching for a second episode either. I found the daughter to be kind of a non-entity and not a very good actress. If she's going to carry so much of the show, you'd think they would have cast a better actress.

I thought it had possibilities, but I'm not optimistic. It's opposite Castle, so I'll only be catching it OnDemand anyway.

The problem with a lot of these high-concept shows is that they're all about concept and less about the writing and acting. For me to really love a show, I have to like or be intrigued by the characters. The plot/premise doesn't matter as much if I don't buy the characters. So far, this show seems like it's more about this BIG PREMISE than about the characters. We'll see. I'll watch another episode at least before I decide whether I'll keep watching. More than likely, I'll just forget to watch one week.....and then another and another (if it lasts that long) and before long, I'll realize I'm not watching any more and don't miss it. Same thing happened for me with Alcatraz last season.
    canadian_angel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It seems to me that this show was written with a long term outlook & that questions would be answered as the show progressed. I am confused why some of you are bummed that we didn't get answers to some of the questions. Give it some time to evolve. All of the critics I have read have said that what episodes they have seen have been great & the story will unfold to make a great show.
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.

just caught this on hulu yesterday

show def got potential

i was hooked after 2 minutes

---

the ending i was %^@#&8@!@#%

thats what i like when i don't know wth is happening
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    It seems to me that this show was written with a long term outlook & that questions would be answered as the show progressed. I am confused why some of you are bummed that we didn't get answers to some of the questions. Give it some time to evolve. All of the critics I have read have said that what episodes they have seen have been great & the story will unfold to make a great show.
    It wasn't that I wanted answers; it was that I wasn't sucked in. Great shows like Lost, Once Upon a Time, and Revenge didn't give any answers yet I counted down the days until the next episode. I just didn't feel that with this. I'll give it a chance but we'll see...
    Kip likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    It wasn't that I wanted answers; it was that I wasn't sucked in. Great shows like Lost, Once Upon a Time, and Revenge didn't give any answers yet I counted down the days until the next episode. I just didn't feel that with this. I'll give it a chance but we'll see...
    That's just it, isn't it? It doesn't matter if TPTB have a long-term plan for the show if no one wants to watch it now. In order for them to get to the long term part, they have to make it compelling enough for people to keep watching.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

looks like they borrowed some elements from Flash Forward & Terra Nova

this blackout is obviously some type of massive EMP... Dad was obviously a part of it

this is a pilot, they are setting up several storylines that will be revealed thru flashbacks and whatnot

i don't know what "answers" people are expecting to get in 1 episode... i think folks got LOST fatigue
    wannasee likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Well, I would think some very basic things would be known. Obviously the father knew something was up because he said the blackout was coming. He didn't say how he knew that or if it was caused by an enemy attack, natural phenomenon, or what. If they hadn't shown the father telling his family that nothing was going to work anymore, I wouldn't worry about having answers yet but he DOES know what happened and for some reason hasn't told his family after all this time. I find that strange.

It seems to me that the show is being sketchy with the details either because they haven't figured them out for themselves yet or because they view the details as insignificant and just want to jump right into the story. As others have said, they better get to some answers pretty quickly or viewers will tune out before the show can get rolling. At the moment, I need something to draw me into the show and I'm not feeling it yet. A little more information might give me a reason to get interested.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

+ Reply to Thread