+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JunkieGirl

Thread: The Suze Orman Show

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

The Suze Orman Show

Does anyone watch Suze every Saturday night? I really look forward to Saturday nights! Even though I don't have lots of money and am Canadian, I've learned a lot from her. I really enjoy the Can You Afford it segments and get my 17 year old involved and see who will get approved/denied. Fun stuff.

I was raised by a single mother and she taught me a lot about money, but there is always something new to learn. Paying full price for something makes me freak out, I avoid it whenever I can.

Also love watching 'Til Debt Do Us Part. It's a Canadian show, similar to Suze, but it really highlights many mistakes people make. The mistake that people can spend, spend, spend as their paycheques highlight, but find themselves in debt up to their eyeballs with no vision of ever getting out of it. Gail Von Oxlade puts it right into their faces and can usually get the couple out of debt within 18-24 months. With TONS of sacrifice.

So do you watch these shows? Learn anything? Are they repeating things you already know/knew?
    Last edited by JunkieGirl; 08-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Suze Orman Show

i like Suze, too. She gives hard, practical, and excellent advice backed by basic arithmetic. The problem in America, though, is that our entire economy is pretty much based on consumerism (something above 95% of our GDP). So, being in debt, is kind of patriotic here.

In fact, it's my major concern about our ongoing economic recovery. It cannot go back to what it was in 2008, where we played a shell game with debt. Debt was our major commodity. This must change, or we will witness this kind of economic collapse again given the fact that banking deregulation has allowed greedy scum-sucking "investment banks" operate pretty much without oversight. We cannot be a nation of debtors any longer.

Suze knows this. And she doesn't sugar coat it. It's not a popular point of view, but it's an accurate and realistic one.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    i like Suze, too. She gives hard, practical, and excellent advice backed by basic arithmetic. The problem in America, though, is that our entire economy is pretty much based on consumerism (something above 95% of our GDP). So, being in debt, is kind of patriotic here.

In fact, it's my major concern about our ongoing economic recovery. It cannot go back to what it was in 2008, where we played a shell game with debt. Debt was our major commodity. This must change, or we will witness this kind of economic collapse again given the fact that banking deregulation has allowed greedy scum-sucking "investment banks" operate pretty much without oversight. We cannot be a nation of debtors any longer.

Suze knows this. And she doesn't sugar coat it. It's not a popular point of view, but it's an accurate and realistic one.
    America is not the only country celebrating consumerism. Everyone does it, even though they don't have the means to do it. I have friends who still spend like they did 6 years ago, even though they've since bought a new house, 2 new vehicles and their kids are in very expensive dance schools. If they had kept budgeting like they did before, they
    would be laughing. My brother, same thing. He is living in a place that has all utilities paid for because he defaulted on 1, him and his girlfriend complain about money all the time. Yet, he buys coffee every day, he smokes and she goes to bingo. I want to get them on the Gail Von Oxlade show. It's a very simple concept. Don't spend more than you have and don't rely on bingo winnings to get you through 2 more weeks.

Sometimes I just want to slap people. Why do spend money you do not have yet? UGH.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Does anyone watch Suze every Saturday night? I really look forward to Saturday nights! Even though I don't have lots of money and am Canadian, I've learned a lot from her. I really enjoy the Can You Afford it segments and get my 17 year old involved and see who will get approved/denied. Fun stuff.

I was raised by a single mother and she taught me a lot about money, but there is always something new to learn. Paying full price for something makes me freak out, I avoid it whenever I can.

Also love watching 'Til Debt Do Us Part. It's a Canadian show, similar to Suze, but it really highlights many mistakes people make. The mistake that people can spend, spend, spend as their paycheques highlight, but find themselves in debt up to their eyeballs with no vision of ever getting out of it. Gail Von Oxlade puts it right into their faces and can usually get the couple out of debt within 18-24 months. With TONS of sacrifice.

So do you watch these shows? Learn anything? Are they repeating things you already know/knew?
    I always enjoy Suze Orman and value the tips and advice she gives. Same goes for Til Debt Do Us Part. I live how Gail gives the couples a reality check and gives it to them straight.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I haven't seen her show (pretty sure I don't get whatever channel it's on) but when watching her specials and such I haven't been able to derive much advice that is relevant to my situation at whatever point in life I've seen her. I honestly see her and get a little fearful because what she's saying seems like such common sense to me and then I see people who wholeheartedly see this as a huge life revelation. Are we that out of touch with our finances? That just scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I haven't seen her show (pretty sure I don't get whatever channel it's on) but when watching her specials and such I haven't been able to derive much advice that is relevant to my situation at whatever point in life I've seen her. I honestly see her and get a little fearful because what she's saying seems like such common sense to me and then I see people who wholeheartedly see this as a huge life revelation. Are we that out of touch with our finances? That just scares me.
    Suze is on Saturday's at 9 p.m with the repeat at midnight on CNBC. She also does specials on PBS.

With regards to the bold, some of her advice is common sense, but many, many people do not know much about money. Like you, that scares me somewhat. Especially when dealing with credit. Many people use credit everywhere and only pay the minimum required each month instead of paying it off in full. It seems kinda crazy that it could take you 8 months to pay off a $300.00 charge and how much interest you pay which makes what you actually pay for that item is almost double or triple.

Teaching your children about money from a young age is a great idea. If they do extra chores (I don't believe they should be paid for things to keep a household running) and requiring them to save some and spend some. My son and I have been talking a lot about money especially these last couple of years because he has a job. In September he will finally be able to file his first tax return and get GST/HST rebates. He doesn't have a clue right now what kind of career he wants but I told him he better start thinking about it seriously and to try and get into a co-op program in something he is interested in. That's how he got his current job, they hired him before he completed the co-op program. The kid has expensive tastes and I try to stress to him that he's going to need a good job to buy the expensive toys he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Suze is on Saturday's at 9 p.m with the repeat at midnight on CNBC. She also does specials on PBS.

With regards to the bold, some of her advice is common sense, but many, many people do not know much about money. Like you, that scares me somewhat. Especially when dealing with credit. Many people use credit everywhere and only pay the minimum required each month instead of paying it off in full. It seems kinda crazy that it could take you 8 months to pay off a $300.00 charge and how much interest you pay which makes what you actually pay for that item is almost double or triple.

Teaching your children about money from a young age is a great idea. If they do extra chores (I don't believe they should be paid for things to keep a household running) and requiring them to save some and spend some. My son and I have been talking a lot about money especially these last couple of years because he has a job. In September he will finally be able to file his first tax return and get GST/HST rebates. He doesn't have a clue right now what kind of career he wants but I told him he better start thinking about it seriously and to try and get into a co-op program in something he is interested in. That's how he got his current job, they hired him before he completed the co-op program. The kid has expensive tastes and I try to stress to him that he's going to need a good job to buy the expensive toys he likes.
    The credit thing (which historically has been a big part of her talks) is something goes beyond me. I have a credit card. If I use it (and I rarely do... less than once a year) I pay it off in full. I don't finance small purchases so the only debt I carry are the big ones (school, home and car) and I'm ahead on all of those. Otherwise if I can't afford it I don't buy it. I save, invest in my pension and do all that jazz. So she offers very little practical advice for me.

But when I watch her telling people they can't afford to live in such and such a house or apartment becuase they can't afford I find it just shocking that those people have never once looked at their income and what's going out and realized that it wasn't working out. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better in this economy where you would think people would be a little more self aware of their finances. It seems like people want to stay in some state of credit and debt denial.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Finance needs to be taught in school, maybe starting in about grade 3. Keep it simple, and make it fun.

Whatever happened to Clark Howard's show?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread