+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Copper (BBC America)

Re: Copper (BBC America)

I'm still waiting for it to become "must watch" for me but it's interesting enough to be engaging. Only occasionally I miss some dialogue (and I think maybe some important plot points) because of the heavy Irish accents and mumbling.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

It's become "must watch" for me already. The exact moment when it happened was in episode 2 when Annie and Corcoran killed Haverford and the madam. I was sure Molly had turned on Corcoran, so when he appeared in the room, I practically applauded!

The stuff with the child prostitutes is really hard to take sometimes, especially since it was a reality back then. Knowing that sort of thing really happened makes it even worse. I do wince at the use of the N word, but it was a reality as well.

I'm generally pretty good with accents, especially when I can see the person speaking (vs. being on the phone with them), so I've been okay with the accents on this show.

I'm enjoying seeing Tessa Thompson be a sympathetic character. She definitely wasn't when she was on Veronica Mars. It's also fun to see Anastasia Griffith away from Once Upon a Time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like it, but I don't love it yet. Might be because I can't help comparing it to Gangs of New York, (same time frame, same Five Points locale) which was so utterly fabulous. As a native New Yorker, on the other hand, I'm familiar with the history and geography of early Manhattan when 14th Street was considered uptown. I tend to watch most shows and films set in NYC.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I like it, but I don't love it yet. Might be because I can't help comparing it to Gangs of New York, (same time frame, same Five Points locale) which was so utterly fabulous. As a native New Yorker, on the other hand, I'm familiar with the history and geography of early Manhattan when 14th Street was considered uptown. I tend to watch most shows and films set in NYC.
    I loved Gangs of New York, in spite of DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz, both of whom I thought were awful and miscast (and I pretty much always think that with them - I just don't get the appeal of either of them) and because of Daniel Day Lewis, who I think is probably the best living actor in the world. Still, that was a BIG budget movie, so pretty much ANY TV show is going to suffer by comparison.

Do you like reading about NYC history too? If so, I'd recommend Pete Hamill's Forever, Time and Again by Jack Finney. They aren't necessarily just about NYC history, but they're both rich with it. I'm making my way through Island of Vice by Richard Zacks, which is non-fiction about Teddy Roosevelt's time as NYC police commissioner and his attempts to close the brothels and gambling establishments. It dovetails nicely with this show, actually and really shows that NO vice is new.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Yes, I do read such books, Critical. I haven't read either of the two you recommend, but I'll check the library for them. One of my favorites is New York: A Novel by Edward Rutherfurd. It's time period ranges from the earliest days of the Dutch vs the British all the way through current times. It follows the journey of several families through the centuries in the same manner as Rutherfurd's other novels that follow this general format in different parts of the world. At almost 900 pages, I found it an engrossing read.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Yes, I do read such books, Critical. I haven't read either of the two you recommend, but I'll check the library for them. One of my favorites is New York: A Novel by Edward Rutherfurd. It's time period ranges from the earliest days of the Dutch vs the British all the way through current times. It follows the journey of several families through the centuries in the same manner as Rutherfurd's other novels that follow this general format in different parts of the world. At almost 900 pages, I found it an engrossing read.
    I love Rutherfurd, and I have New York, but haven't read it. I've read all of his other sagas, so I really need to dig up that one to read. Both Forever and Time and Again are set in NYC and both are among my favorite books.

One of the things I love about Copper is all the historical detail, some of it stuff you wouldn't even notice really. Little references to people or places that don't necessarily add to the actual plot, but make the show so much richer. I'm happy there are 10 episodes instead of 4 or 6 that some British series give us. Ten isn't great, but it gives them time to really settle in and tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I love Rutherfurd, and I have New York, but haven't read it. I've read all of his other sagas, so I really need to dig up that one to read. Both Forever and Time and Again are set in NYC and both are among my favorite books.

One of the things I love about Copper is all the historical detail, some of it stuff you wouldn't even notice really. Little references to people or places that don't necessarily add to the actual plot, but make the show so much richer. I'm happy there are 10 episodes instead of 4 or 6 that some British series give us. Ten isn't great, but it gives them time to really settle in and tell a story.
    Yes, I complete concur about the little details adding so much to the show. Every shot makes me think of what it looked like then and what's there now. Many of my favorite places from when I grew up aren't there anymore, but many still are.

Oh, and Rutherfurd's New York is my favorite of his novels; you'll like it. I do have a few left yet to read.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

That's the lingering thought I was left with after this episode!!!

ETA: A Comment about the "look" - It's weird to think about the big homes in NY where their front steps basically let out right into the street - which was dirt! I'm sure it's realistic but hard to imagine living like that. For me, the realism certainly removes some of the romaticism that may have been associated (in my mind) with the times. And lordy how glad I am not to have been a woman in those days!!!
    Last edited by MiaT2; 09-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123