+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Major Crimes: TNT (spinoff of The Closer)

Re: Major Crimes: TNT (spinoff of The Closer)

The part I loved was when Sharon said, of the Senators campaign manager, "I HATE having someone monitoring us all the time!!" (Not exactly what she said, but you know....) The look on Flynn and Provensas faces was priceless. to

I love the Rusty character and hope they keep him. The show has to introduce more family background on Sharon I would think because it gives her a more human side than we were ever allowed in the original show. Now, being the main character, they have to make us like her. I think they will and are doing that, but they have to transition slowly.

I'm actually liking this show more than I thought I would after watching the first episode.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Newbie

Razorbacker, see if you can catch episodes of The Closer. They're airing on TNT now during the night. But you can DVR them. They're worth it. And they'll expand your understanding of Major Crimes, too. For instance, if you haven't watched Season 7 of The Closer you have no idea why Provenza had such a strong reaction to Raydor saying that she hates being monitored. And, unless you've watched Flynn's and Provenza's antics you won't really understand how ludicrous it was for Provenza to feel that he should be allowed to run Major Crimes. Also, the last episode of The Closer introduces Rusty so watching that episode will give you the basis for his role in the series.

Dare I say, I'm actually enjoying this show more than The Closer. As much as I like Kyra Sedgwick, her character (and that accent) was just a little too over-the-top for me. I liked her for the first season or so, but then I got tired of that schtick. I tried watching over the years and just never enjoyed it as much as I did that first season. I like Mary McDonnell better as an actress, I guess.

Where I think The Closer often played the characters for humor, I think this show is more insightful about who they are. I tend to prefer straight drama anyway. Maybe I'll get bored with this show after a season - that happens a lot - but for now, I'm watching.
    Florimel and jaytwo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm totally with you, Critical. I've liked Kyra Sedgwick's work since her soap opera days and I have to admire her taste in husbands, but I gave up on her Closer character in year one. Her acting was impressive, but I just didn't like the character. So far, I'm enjoying Major Crimes and Mary McDonnell.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't really care either way about Capt. Sharon but boy do I love Provenza and Flynn! And, I really love bad boy Provenza with that attitude!

As for the show, I watched the season premiere and thought "meh" but then I caught a few episodes on demand and really enjoyed them so its back on the DVR!

I just read that Season 2 will be 15 shows. I really enjoy the looks Sharon gives these guys sometimes. It's like "Dude, just think about it for a minute & you'll see I'm right." And she ususally is!

I wish I could see it On Demand. My Primetime (free) with Time Warner only carries the big four. Anyway, for some reason, my DVR didn't pick it up on Monday (I have it set as a series recording.) When I went online to watch, I discovered TNT is restricting access to certain cable providers - mine not among them. After grinding my teeth, I went looking for a rerun and found one on Saturday as well as the hour before the new show on Monday. Whew! I don't know when I've been so perplexed or mad about having to miss an episode of anything...probably because I can find everything else either online or On Demand.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have Time Warner and the TNT shows are actually on the Entertainment on Demand Channel (instead of Primetime).
    Hopefully that will help!

I thought there were some holes in this last episode. For instance, why would dead embezzler guy's blood only be near the sink if the husband caught him and the wife in bed? It's not like he could have laid down the plastic sheet ahead of time and directed the guy to stand on it while he stabbed him. Leaving that aside, I thought it was really well acted. William Moses telling his daughter that his only regret was that he hadn't killed her too was very disturbing. I am enjoying the Provenza/Sykes interactions and loved having the episode focus on Tao.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    I have Time Warner and the TNT shows are actually on the Entertainment on Demand Channel (instead of Primetime).
    Hopefully that will help!
    I'll take a look - thanks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast