+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Go On starring Matthew Perry (NBC)

Go On starring Matthew Perry (NBC)

Matthew Perry ("Friends," "Mr. Sunshine") stars as Ryan King, a recent widower and sports talk radio host ready to get back to work after the loss of his wife. Ryan's alpha-male boss, Stephen, played by John Cho ("Star Trek," "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle"), has a different plan in store for Ryan, making him attend grief counseling before returning to the air. A reluctant Ryan finds himself in a support group for "life change," where he meets an oddball cast of characters, all with their own backstories filled with varying degrees of loss.

On his very first visit, Ryan convinces the group to deviate from their normal session and starts a tournament-style competition (March Sadness!) to find out whose story is the worst. Ryan's total lack of interest in "the healing process" proves distracting and he soon butts heads with the by-the-books group leader, Lauren, played by Tony Award-winner Laura Benanti ("The Playboy Club"). Back at work, Ryan is confronted with the fact that he hasn't really processed his grief and realizes Lauren and the other members of the group might be key in helping him move on. Also starring are Tony Award-Winner Julie White ("Transformers") as Anne, Bill Cobbs ("The Muppets," "Night at the Museum") as George and Suzy Nakamura ("Dodgeball") as Yolanda.
    Go On - About - NBC Official Site

NBC aired the first episode tonight after the Olympics coverage. I had planned on checking the show out when it aired in the fall but, honestly, wasn't expecting much.

It wasn't great, but there were really funny moments. I thought Matthew Perry was good and I liked the supporting cast. I laughed out loud at the final scene with the Google Earth car. That was classic! I think the show definitely has potential.

Did anyone else watch tonight?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Go On starring Matthew Perry (NBC)

I watched it. I liked it, didn't love it. There were some moments I laughed out loud, so I think the potential is there for it to get even better. Unfortunately IIRC Tuesdays are a very busy day for my DVR.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Haven't seen the show yet, but I love Matthew Perry and am always rooting for him to get a great show and/or film. It doesn't sound like Go On will be "the one," but I hope this will turn out to be a very good sseries for him.

Saw it by accident and watched the entire thing. Liked it. Much better than I thought it would be.

Liked that they had his wife die because she was texting him to buy coffee and she ran a stop sign and got hit. Very relevant to now.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I missed it.I really like Mathew Perry - I wonder if they will air it again before next week ?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I missed it.I really like Mathew Perry - I wonder if they will air it again before next week ?
    Probably on line at NBC.com.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It doesn't premiere until September 11th, so I'm sure this was just a teaser to get people interested. I bet they'll air the episode as the premiere on the 11th. Maybe it's available online or OnDemand too.

I think my favorite moments will be the ensemble moments with the support group. They were the best scenes in the episode last night.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I caught the last 30-45 minutes of it. I didn't know it was on. It was better than I expected. I'll watch again.
    My only problem with Matthew Perry is that he always plays the same type of character: Sarcastic, Lacking in feelings, Seems to put himself above others.
    At least in this one he came to terms with a few things about himself in the end & decided to show his inner feelings & accept compassion from others. That may be the show's saving grace for me. The previews didn't show that part.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I caught the last 30-45 minutes of it. I didn't know it was on. It was better than I expected. I'll watch again.
    My only problem with Matthew Perry is that he always plays the same type of character: Sarcastic, Lacking in feelings, Seems to put himself above others.
    At least in this one he came to terms with a few things about himself in the end & decided to show his inner feelings & accept compassion from others. That may be the show's saving grace for me. The previews didn't show that part.
    It was only 30 minutes, so you saw all of it

I wouldn't say that all of MP's characters are lacking feelings. Sarcastic? Definitely, but not unfeeling and I wouldn't say they're selfish either. What characters are you thinking of?

The episode is available on Hulu in case anyone missed it and wants to check it out.

I watched it,too, and found it better than I had anticipated. Though not great, I think it has potential. I loved that the therapist was an unlicensed weight watchers helper. I do like Matthew Perry and I found the sports tie-in during the Olympics coverage very clever. I could have done without Terrell Owens, but I can always do without T.O., and at least he wasn't on for long. All the promos I've seen have included Shawn Shawn Johnson being interviewed by Matt's character; I think that's probably from an upcoming episode. I'm guess she's trying to get into acting, but I don't think she's very good at it, at least not yet.

I'll probably watch. or dvr, depending on what is airing opposite it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast