Thread: Political Animals

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Political Animals

politicalanimals_cast_dw.jpg

Anyone else watching this show?

USA Network - Sunday at 10PM - a 'limited series event"

From left to right:

Carla Cugino as Susan Berg (journalist)
    Ciaran Hinds as Bud Hammond (former US President)
    Sigourney Weaver as Elaine Barris (Secretary of State and the former Mrs. Hammond)
    Ellen Burstyn as Margaret Barrish (mother of Elaine)
    James Wolk as Douglas Hammond (the straight sober son)
    Brittany Ishibashi as Anne Ogami (future wife to Doug)
    Sebastian Stan as Thomas "TJ" Hammond (the gay drug using son)

There are at least 6 episodes, two of which has already aired. It's interesting. A bit nighttime soap opera-ish, it fills the void . . . if you don't think too much about the true-to-life story line.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Political Animals

I'm watching I watched the first episode on demand Friday night and tuned in on Sunday to the latest episode. I agree that it's nighttime soap opera-ish, but since I'm enjoying the heck out of Dallas, it kind of fits my mood. I'm glad it's only 6 eps, so it's not a huge commitment. While there are a handful of problems (Elaine's constant high-waisted skirts, Bud's accent (Ciaran Hinds I love, but the guy needed a better accent coach), and the addiction nature of the gay son) I'm still engaged. And, crap on a cracker, Ellen Burstyn is blowing it out of the park. Loooove her!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I am! Ellen Burstyn and Sigourney Weaver together? Too good to pass up!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Me too! Ellen Burstyn lines were great when she was talking to the reporter.

Most recent episode was a little bit all-over-the-place. It is still holding my attention, but probably only because I watched soap operas growing up and I'm accustomed to being fed bits and pieces of a storyline. Interesting to see that the "good" son isn't as good as we were led to believe. Proposing to your girlfriend while high on ecstasy? Oh yeah, that'll make a marriage work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Most recent episode was a little bit all-over-the-place. It is still holding my attention, but probably only because I watched soap operas growing up and I'm accustomed to being fed bits and pieces of a storyline. Interesting to see that the "good" son isn't as good as we were led to believe. Proposing to your girlfriend while high on ecstasy? Oh yeah, that'll make a marriage work!!!
    They were already engaged. In the very first episode there was the big engagement party for them.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

As I saw it, the X scene was a flashback to Elaine's run for the POTUS, so that was before the engagement.

I got into this soapy drama (and I really didn't realize how much I missed soapy scripted dramas until this & Dallas) on the promise of a short & tidy run. Inasmuch as Cairan Hind's marble-mouth "southern" accent rubs me the wrong way--and I hate, hate saying that since I've liked him in so many other things--I kinda want more. I like this sideways Clinton stuff, especially with the "Carville" guy being a shoot first, ask questions later guy (maybe I'm wrong on that characterization). "Better than Sex" by Hunter S. Thompson is one of my favorite books, so this show is just cat nip to me.

Ciaran Hind's southern accent doesn't bother me one bit. I have relatives in Tennessee, one of whom is now in his 70's and was born and raised in southern Mississippi. I swear he and Bud Hammond sound ridiculously a lot alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    They were already engaged. In the very first episode there was the big engagement party for them.
    The X party scene was a flashback. We knew they were engage, they just hadn't shown us how he "proposed".

I watched the whole run. Very interested to see where it goes next season as I really enjoyed the writing and acting.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast